“Hen party” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Britannia Hotel Birmingham

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #107 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Hen party”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

When I read tripadvisor I was gutted I had booked 7 rooms here but to be honest it was ok - yes the rooms were tired and dated and it had a bit of a strange smell ( which I'm sure a good clean of the carpets would sort out ) but the rooms were clean and a good size. For a hen or stag night I would recommend this hotel it's In a good location and the staff were great - funny and helpful. Reception were efficient and helpful ( shout out to Mo) and the lady in the bar chatted to us and took photos of the group for us. We had a little issue with one room being a double instead of a twin but they were really apologetic and although they didn't have another room to offer they did bring a second duvet and asked if they could get anything else for us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your stay and I will certainly pass your kind comments onto the staff

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We arrvied exact on checking time to be told that we had to wait. Staff where rude and hard to approach.
Room wasn't bad. Only thing that was clean was the bed sheets. Bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while, noise levels where terrible as the window wouldn't shut properly.
Had a problem with noisy neighbours, told reception to have security come up and yell at them which wasn't what we wanted.
Had a problem after checkout which lead to the manager speaking to me with an attitude problem.
I had a family member stay on a different floor with the same problems.
Avoid, avoid....avoid!

Room Tip: From two rooms, I'd suggest no good rooms. Both terrible & loud.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caattxo
Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies for any problems experienced at the hotel

The issues that have been raised have been addressed in email correspondence between you and myself

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is disgusting from the decor to the staff, we arrived on the Thursday day time, we walked in to our rooms and realised we had made a huge mistake... absolutely filthy, dreary, only two plug sockets one of which was in the wardrobe. Windows where so dirty we couldn't see out of them, net curtains yellow and holey and the curtains stained and off coloured, the carpet looked like it had never been hoovered and the bath room look derelict. We then went for food on the evening and when me and my friend walked into our room we were greater by MICE one running through the bathroom and past my suit case!!!!!!! When going down to reception I told them I was terrified and the man behind reception rolled his eyes as if this was a regular occurrence. We then where moved to floor 5 and I did not sleep properly or unpack my suit case at all. We then went down in the morning to be greater by stuck up man who I explained our situation to and requested a CASH refund so we could move that day however he said this was not possible and as me and my friends are young girls with limited funds we were unable to leave this hotel. This gentleman who we asked about a refund then pulled us to one side the day after describing a review put on here as slanderous which is hilarious as he bare faced lied stating in front of his equally unpleasant manager he did offer the refund! The whole stay was horrific and easily put a damper on mine and my friends wireless weekend. i have reported this hotel and hopefully it will be shut down!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank DanielleV1994
Dear Guest

I do not feel that your review is a full and accurate version of the events which occurred but I can assure you that a refund was offered to yourself and your party on more than one occasion which was declined
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Booked a double room in this hotel for 2 nights for a festival.
Arrived at the hotel to a miserable grumpy woman who, because I was early, insisted I would have to wait instead of checking the system to see if there was a room free for me. Finally got a room and the smell was vile! I went down to reception twice to tell them about it and all they did was spray what smelt like deodorant around the room. The room was covered in damp, the carpet was soaking wet in some areas and wouldn't dry and the bathroom had bugs on the floor, crawling up the walls and in the bath! We went down to reception to go out for food and overheard another customer complaining because she had found mice in her room on level 1! Horrifying! Never would I ever book here again I don't know why it has 3* plus rating! And my room cost nearly £100 for 2 nights!!! Terrible.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank AmyElizabethh
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations

As I would advise any guest, should you experience any issues during your stay or wish to raise any concerns you feel should be brought to our attention, there is a Duty Manager available 24 hours per day who will gladly assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one enabling you to leave the hotel with a more favourable view.

I can assure you that we do not have bedrooms on level one, and there is no substance to the claims made on a previous review.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Although I can't fault the location, front staff and price, this isn't enough to compensate for the terrible room we stayed in. I thought I had passed through some sort of time wormhole when we entered the room. I doubt it has been decorated for 30 years! But the main issue was it absolutely stank of smoke everywhere, the sheets, the curtains, the air even! Also there was a massive unavoidable wet patch covering about 2 metres square, right next to the bed. If we had arrived earlier than we did (1am due to airport luggage issues) we would have asked to change rooms, but as we were shattered we didn't have any energy to go back down from the 8th floor with all our luggage.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The two stars show credit for the position of the hotel, very near New Street station, and in the centre of town. Nothing much else deserves a star in my opinion. The food was poor, the decor drab,the room basic and noisily situated. Only use if the cost is right for you, or if you want the convenient situation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Great location, easy to access and not far from Birmingham New Street station and the Bullring.

The breakfast buffet was excellent.

Staff were helpful as I needed a hotel at around midnight, due to cancelled booking elsewhere.

The interior needs revamping. It felt too old-fashioned for my own liking and the bathroom was not immaculately clean. The view from my room was overlooking another guest room, so I decided to keep the curtains closed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

Both your positive and negative comments have been passed onto the relevant Managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.