“Does what it says on the can” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Britannia Hotel Birmingham

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #108 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
south wales
“Does what it says on the can”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Staff on reception were helpful. But one gear. Which is slow.
First room we were given. Already has a suitcase and other stuff in it. So we complained and we're moved to room 911 . Which was a much better room. Air con worked great. Bathroom was spotless. Although curtains in room needed cleaning. Floor was clean. Bed was clean. Also bedding g was clean. Nice pillows aswell. Had a fridge in the room which is a bonus. Meant we could get fresh milk for our tea and coffee.
Downside .... The mattress was awful. Couldn't sleep. Tossing and turning all night.
Night porters ? Why are they there. We walked in very late At night . Nothing g. Why not ask. Why not stop.
Good evening sir and madam. How was your night. Evening folks. How are you. Excuse me folks are you guests.
Nothing at all. This is why you get idiots running around the corridors. You pay them a wage. Make them earn it by doing some work.
Over all the hotel is fine . Have stayed here now about 7 times. And luckily gave not met any of the problems that other people have had.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies that some aspects of your stay did not meet with your expectations – the comments which have been made have been passed onto the relevant departmental managers and I can assure you that improvements will be made where deemed necessary

Thank you for the comments regarding the rest of the Hotel, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I made a booking online an when I got to the reception desk I was left waiting a while. Once someone finally took time out of their personal conversation around the back I did not get the warm invite I thought I would get. I was made to wait an then pay ten pounds to check in at 12.

Once I got to my floor an the life opened, I was over whelmed with a damp dirty smell.
My room haf a strong chemical smell that made my head hurt. The bathroom was vile. Chip in the loo seat. Ohhh the list goes on. When I called down to reception the phone was even dirty.
I had the room checked to make it clear it was unused an I wanted my money bk.

When I got to reception there was a young girl only just checking out of the room they had put me in.
Never in my life have I seen something so vile.

Warning do not use this hotel. Book the premier inn over the road online.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Keeeky
Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time

Your comments will be passed onto the relevant departmental managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is ok for those who are going to be out on the town most of the night and be too drunk to care about the uncleanliness and drabiness of the place when they return.

A cheap place to crash sort of hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mesh42
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

Staff are available and on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were unhappy with the accommodation provided, they would have been able to assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one

Kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed last night and thought about going to stay in the car as it was cleaner and had air. Walked in and waited 5 minutes before getting acknowledged we where there. Got told only had smoking rooms left, which if you stay I would reccommened you don't get even if you are a smoker. Walked into the room and the bathroom hadn't looked like it hadnt been cleaned since the last visitors which looked like they had trimmed there public region and the remains where still there. The tap didn't turn off so we had that as a water feature all night dripping away. The main lights didn't work and nor did the tele so only a small side lamp for are lighting. It doesn't look like it does in the pictures and I would strongly reccommened that if you don't have to don't use this hotel as the staff didn't even apologise for the all the problems we had the best bit about the stay was when we checked out and got back on the road
There is a travel lodge around the corner which we discovered on leaving

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Lewissmith321
Dear Guest

As I would advise any guest, should you experience any issues during your stay or wish to raise any concerns you feel should be brought to our attention, there is a Duty Manager available 24 hours per day who will gladly assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one enabling you to leave the hotel with a more favourable view.

English Riviera, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

My family stayed here last weekend (8 - 10 August) for a city break. We chose it, mostly for location but thought, as it's in the Britannia chain of hotels, it should be ok. How wrong were we? The location is the only positive. The rooms were not ready when we arrived. When we were eventually shown our rooms, on the fourth floor, they were disgusting. They both overlooked a dark, dingy brick wall so no natural light or air came anywhere near the window. We booked two twin rooms and they were both doubles. The rooms were dark, musty and shabby. My mother went and complained and we were moved to the 7th floor. Both rooms were smoking rooms (which again goes against all the signs in the hotel and the law I thought in that all hotels in the UK are now non-smoking?) Anyway, room 1 was dark, boiling hot and shabby. It had out-dated furniture, the carpet was dirty and the windows were filthy. This room overlooked the back of the hotel, so was very dark with very little air going into the room; however, believe it or not it was an improvement on the first room! Room 2 was better (just). We had a door but no window, the curtains were dirty and had cigarette burns in them. The carpet was dirty and the towels had holes in them. The only plus side to both rooms was that the bedding was clean, however the bed frame was not! We had booked breakfast on the last morning of our stay, but I only opted to have toast as I could only imagine what they were serving, if the rooms were anything to go by. Lots of "food" had run out and the waitress did not replace it quick enough compared to how many diners were in the room. The croissants had all gone so my mother asked for some more. When they came, they were frozen!!! The toast was soggy as they keep it in a basket. The tea and coffee looked like dirty dish water and tasted like it too.

All in all, the hotel has a great location, but is in serious need for an up-date. The rooms are shocking and need a massive facelift. The prices are not cheap either for what you get. Considering there is a Premier Inn right opposite this hotel, with great deals, this hotel needs to sort itself out and fast!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lee B

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Very reasonable price and city centre location were the main attractions. You want cheap and central? Stay here.
We asked for a high up smoking room and that was what we got. I was hoping for some of the excellent views that the reviews talked about but we were given something around the back, only leaving us a view of another room opposite. The room was also quite small and the fittings and facilities were minimal and a bit grotty.
I understand that there is a lot in the marketplace to compete with in terms of facilities (WiFi only in reception, which is about what you get staying in a backpacker's hostel)
I telephoned to ask them to allow my partner to check in my absence as she was arriving before me. Even though I had booked on my card, they informed me that she would be able to do that. When she arrived, she had to pay for the room herself before they would allow her to check in. When challenged about this, reception said they would chase it up and make sure that this didn't happen in future.
Overall, a useful location for the price, but don't expect too much.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up room with a view if you plan to spend any time in there during daylight. If you do...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We decided to stay at this hotel on Saturday 9th August after a six hour train journey back from Penzance. When we booked the hotel on bookings.com it hit all the right buttons, short walk from train station and great location being right in the middle of Birmingham. After arriving in Birmingham at 12pm we chanced our luck to see if we could book in earlier and with one room we hit lucky and we were told by the receptionist that the room was ready, we went in the lift to the 4th floor only to be told by the cleaner that the room wouldn't be ready for a while and she had no idea why we had been told to come up, so we dropped bags off and went to explore Birmingham. When we came back is when our troubles began. We entered the room to a dire carpet, wallpaper that was peeling off the walls and where do I begin with the bathroom, well it was so dated and dirty it was a joke. The view from our room was of a busker in the city centre and the curtains needed a good clean. The entire hotel is dirty and very old fashioned and Britannia need to give it a very good refurb sooner rather than later and maybe get the staff to communicate with each other. Would never ever recommend anyone stay here even it was free!!

Room Tip: Don't book a room here at all!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KarenLangley
Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations