“Not what was expected”

Ranked #88 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Not what was expected”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed here on business recently and was charged £75/night. The website makes it look much nicer than it is.
The single room was disappointing, extremely basic and old; reminded myself of days at university in some grotty halls. The shower hardly worked also.
Room service, the burger was extremely cheap & nasty and to be charged over £10 was ridiculous especially for a hotel 25mins outside of the centre.
Im not sure how you can justify £75 night, there are much better b&b`s around for that price range. The breakfast was also disappointing, with not much fruit choice even though the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mct10
GBHotelBirmingham, Front Office Manager at Great Barr Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thankyou for your comments, we are dissapointed that you found your stay with us not enjoyable the room that you had booked was our standard single room. However, we have higher grades of room available such as Club Rooms but during the peak exhibition periods our room rates do vary as dictated by the demand. Your comments about the beefburger have been noted and we have also made our supplier aware of this.

Assuring you of our best attention
Kind Regards
Great Barr Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Myself, husband and two children (10 and 7) stayed here on a return to our home town for a family visit. We booked on a late deal basis so it was good value for money. Close to the M6 and in a very pretty part of West Brom/Great Barr. Husband had been a night porter here several years ago and my brother-in-law also worked here years before that. The reception staff were friendly (tho a little unprofessional later in the evening when wedding/70th bday party guests were milling around waiting for taxis). The bar area was very welcoming and cosy. The bedroom was large and accommodated our family of 4 easily. The bathroom was large. A few hooks on doors would be useful to hang up coats. We didn't eat at the hotel and this is where the disappointment comes in. Upon checking in we were advised of the cost of breakfast - £12.95! This is far too expensive ... especially when pub next door offers full English for £4! We would have liked to have had a bar snack on Sunday early evening but we were advised there were no kitchen staff so instead we spent our money in shop round the corner. Think the hotel could perhaps charge less for brekky or offer "kids eat free" incentives and, if the kitchen is unstaffed, let guests know this in advance please! As we were only 1 of 2 guests in the whole hotel, with only 1 guest expected on bank holiday Monday, I can see why the kitchen staff were having a break but communication is the key. We will return and stay again!

Room Tip: Family room may be 2x double beds which may not be suitable for older children unwilling to sleep t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
GBHotelBirmingham, Front Office Manager at Great Barr Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Thankyou for your lovely comments it was a pleasure to have you at the Great Barr Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed here on our Hen Weekend as they had an Abba tribute band on, with a 3 course meal. I've seen other reviews saying to avoid the hen parties, but we are well behaved hens, so weren't running around the hotel at all hours! Our room was very nicely decorated, with plenty of room although they all seem to be double beds- with our group of 17 some shared the beds, some used the sofa beds (not as comfy!). The bathroom was very modern. The evening entertainment was good- we threw ourselves into it by all dressing up, which made us enjoy it more I feel. The food was good, and the staff served you the veg as well as the main, but I think it'd be better to leave that on the table for you to serve yourself, plus it would save them time! Oddly enough, you went and got your own dessert from a table on the dance floor, which was ok if you were first up, but not if you were last and some of the stuff had gone! I don't have a big breakfast but there seemed enough to choose from, and what I had was nice. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank YorkshireTerrier73
GBHotelBirmingham, Front Office Manager at Great Barr Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2013

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Room 1
There was no heating on in the room. The light did not work in the bathroom. When a maintenance representative turned on the radiator on it sprung a slow leak. The radiator had not been cleaned for some years the dust was exceptionally thick between the blades of the radiator. The carpet had not been vacuumed for some, possibly months.

Room 2
There was no heating on in the room. Again, the radiator had not been cleaned for some years the dust was exceptionally thick between the blades of the radiator. The carpet had not been vacuumed for some, possibly months.

Room 3
This room was heated, the carpet was a little cleaner, but the radiator was still as dirty as the others. I have to add that there was an unpleasant smell of stale cigarette smoke in the corridors which may be an issue for non-smokers.

While I do not expect 5 star luxury, I don’t think it unreasonable to ask for CLEAN and WARM. I am disappointed with the description ‘92 Elegant Bedrooms’ along with wonderful photographs, which does not reflect the reality. This is not a hotel I would visit again.

Room Tip: Check the radiators for dust
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hillary T

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of days and found it to be a bit shabby but comfortable and clean. The bistro menu is varied and the food is good. A downside is guests smoking in rooms which permeates the corridors and into rooms during the evening and early morning. An upside is the staff who are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank georgie_beasley
GBHotelBirmingham, Front Office Manager at Great Barr Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thankyou for your comments it was a pleasure to have you at the Great Barr Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I’ve used this hotel on and off for more than four months now. I like it, and it has turned to be like home away from home to me. I work in Birmingham as a contractor and only use hotels during the week. Great Barr has very kind and caring staff. Its rates are very competitive especially considering the kind of service quality that you get. Well of course, it’s not a five star hotel and as such don’t expect the five star standard of furniture and surroundings even though the service is five star. Although the furniture is not that spectacular, the place is clean. There was a time when the carpets were somehow dirty – but they have now been since cleaned. The breakfast is great and I have always loved it in all my stays.
Another thing, don’t expect to hear any noise from passing cars as the hotel is far from the main road. The only thing that you can possibly hear are birds from outside and maybe water gushing through the pipes or the expanding and contracting radiators as the heating system changes in temperature.
Also, there is a very good free broadband. It is broadband in every sense of the word unlike another hotel which I used and had what it called “free broadband” which however was restricted from accessing other sites like YouTube or iplayer as well as secured website. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Mobile phone signal can be an issue in the ground floor rooms like room 111 and 109.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
GBHotelBirmingham, Front Office Manager at Great Barr Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2013

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I was staying at this hotel for a work event and haven't really got anything good to say.
I am vegan and when I went for lunch (a buffet lunch) asked to speak to the chef to see if there was any vegan options on the buffet. After looking at me completely bemused he said that the sliced egg (!) and the tuna (!) was vegan. After id pointed out that it actually wasnt he said the melon balls were (I think Id worked that one out). He then was really rude to me and asked me what did i eat?! Like i was being ridiculously awkward. In the end I left and ate food i had brought with me. Later I was asked what i would want for dinner and was offered aubergine with pesto. Generally pesto is not even veggie never mind vegan. By this point i really did not trust that the chef had any kind of clue what he was doing and had decided not to eat the meal and risk the thought of animal products. The chef was obviously one of those that hated vegans and not exactly a bright spark. (The previous reviewer got the aubergine and Im glad i turned it down). Its not hard to cook something vegan that is palatable im not a fussy eater by any means.
When i went to my room it was very small, cold and smelt really musty. It wasnt unclean but quite grubby including the carpet. As I had been excluded from the dinner service the thought of spending all night alone in this room was not a happy one. I also realised that I would probably not get any breakfast or lunch the following day. So i decided to leave. Ive stayed in a lot of hotels, some good, some bad but never left one before. On my way out the chef passed me and gave me a sarcastic smirk. The girl on the front desk looked shocked that i was leaving but made no attempt to ask why or if she could help. Positively the worst hotel I have ever stayed in for service, attitude and general customer service. Just appalling. Even checking in I got my key given to me with no explanation of which way my room was located! Id rather sleep in a car park than go anywhere near this awful hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank moztattoo
GBHotelBirmingham, Owner at Great Barr Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Thank you for your review. We have followed up your complaint and spoken with the Chef. From what you have mentioned, and from the response we had from the Chef, it seems to be that the Great Barr Hotel did try to cater to your needs. Our set buffet menus aim to please all tastes but unfortunately we cannot ensure that every dietary requirement and lifestyle choice is met. Therefore we are more than happy to take requests and will prepare the speciality food separately. Our head chef is fully aware of all possible dietary requirements and has dishes that he can prepare upon request so we are surprised to hear that he would have suggested a meat dish to a vegan. We have been advised that you were offered more than one option as an alternative and none of these were to your liking.
Overall, we find your review to be unfairly damning and unduly overcritical. We make every attempt to include suitable dishes that will appeal to all guests, however we cannot please everyone all of the time.