“MUCKY, DISORGANISED HOTEL!”
Review of Metro Inns Walsall

Metro Inns Walsall
Ranked #108 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Miserable, rude staff. With one exception, a black girl in a sparkley hat who brought a smile of sunshine to the whole place! The rest of the staff were disorganised and overbooked the rooms making those with reservations move to other sites. I was told by one unhelpful and uncaring member of staff called David that his supervisor had told him to overbook the rooms and to take bookings in favour of first come first served, even if others had reservations. The place is a dump and only does business because of it's convienient location in my view. No one has any interest in customer service or even common courtesy. I arrived at 10.30pm having informed the hotel that I would be a late arrival, and after having booked and paid weeks in advance I was then told that my room had been sold and I must go to another travel lodge 6 miles away! This David charactor had no idea of the address of where I had to go. Eventually after making several phone calls he wrote a postcode on a bit of paper and dispatched me into the night. What a suprise when I arrived at the second travel lodge that David had sent a queue of other people up there too on the same errand, all of whom had bookings at the Walsall travel lodge. The place obviously lacks leadership and discipline.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed 4 days between Christmas and New Year, benefit was it was close to our families. Room was OK, didn't use any bar or resturant facilities so can't comment. Was locked out of hotel for 20 minutes at 11 pm one night with several others because receptionist was also the bar man and was working in the bar. Also had to get our door key reprogrammed every night, was not told why and still don't understand. If Travelodge want to keep their good name for budget hotels they need to refurbish this type of hotel and motivate their staff.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in December 2012. I'm very glad we got the room in a 'travelodge sale' as I would have been disappointed if we had paid full price! Paying for the car park was a bit of an annoyance but we had read previous reviews so we were aware!! It is situated by a main road but we didn't hear any traffic and we had a room facing the road. The rooms are clean, beds not too bad quite comfy, the rooms are depressingly grey, dark grey like a prison cell! Needs some serious updating!! We did have a plug for our bath but no soap or shower gel provided. We did ask for some and we were given the tiniest bars of soap that didn't foam and were more like indigestion tablets!! Staff were ok, looked bored most of the time! Based on the price we paid it was fair value. We would stay there again if we got it for the sale price! (I think it was £15 a night!).

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I wish to make a complaint regarding my recent stay at Birmingham Walsall Travelodge.
Upon arrival at the hotel on 04/02/2013, we were greeted by a miserable guy behind the desk who looked like he couldn't be bothered to do his job; once issued with our room key, my partner and I proceeded to our room, to our disgust the room had not been cleaned. Dirty sheets were still on the bed, towels on the floor and rubbish everywhere; my partner went to complain to the person on the desk who simply tutted and shook his head and issued us with another room. Proceeding to the second room, we were welcomed with exactly the same problem, room not been cleaned. It took us 3 attempts to end up with a room, which by my understanding the idea of a check in at 3pm is so that rooms have time to be cleaned before the next guests arrived, this is clearly not the case at this hotel. I have stayed in many travelodges throughout the years and never have I experienced anything like this, it gives the travelodge brand a bad name. On checkout, no one asked us how our stay was, my partner requested a form for feedback but was told we would receive an e-mail asking us about our stay (an email which I am yet to receive). We explained what had happened and got a simple 'Oh' reply; by this point it was obvious that the people at the hotel could not be bothered and clearly had no customer service skills/ understanding of how to deal with situations.
I am disgusted by the poor concern from the staff and the lack of organisation at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Polly_2490
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Just don't stay here. The rooms are grubby, the bathroom was dirty, the toilet didn't even flush properly. The curtains were hanging off the window and there was an old tv with remote, no batteries in the remote so quite useless. We didn't even stay in the room we left and found a clean friendly hotel, at our own expense. The only advice I can give is DONT STAY THERE!!!!!

Room Tip: There is no good room!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank startertoo
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed 2 nights. You know what your getting with a Travelodge. In this case pretty much even less.

The hotel is an extremely worn jaded and faded establishment. EVERYTHING is dated. The whole building needs a referb throughout. Coupled with the fact that there didn't seem to be any/enough staff even working there. The ones that did seemed just as miserable as their working environment.

Only paid £19 a night. So you cant really moan. Beds were OK. TV had about 6 channels. Odd tiles in the bathroom. Filthy marks on the doors, some damaged. Odd tiles replaced in the shower/bath area. Taps wouldn't work properly/turn off. Had to leave the cold tap on for 2 days as it wouldn't turn off!! Reported it, staff came to look. Did nothing! Shower water temp was way too hot. Rooms were warm enough. Had to ask for extra towels as they only put the one small one in the room. Stayed in a room which was on the rear. I think that was better than staying in one on the main road side.

Funny smells along the corridors. Bar area small but OK. Didnt bother with any food/beverages.

On the whole a miserable and bleak hotel. Only stayed there as it was cheap. Handy for the town centre, wont need to return thankfully!

Travelodges have usually a good standard. I think they are ok. HOWEVER this one has to be the WORST Ive ever stayed in.

Do yourselves a favour, choose the Walsall Premier instead!

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear - quieter!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MITCHPL
Reviewed 3 February 2013

What a dump, bed had absolutely no springs in it, mold growing on the tiles in the bathroom, electrics shodding and probably not very safe, one pillow each and one towel each, but they did give me another one. My friend was staying as well and they had a shower and then couldn't turn off the water. They need to take a long hard look at themselves and improve if they are to get my business again

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends