“Improving but not great”

Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street
Ranked #58 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Excellent location near bus station and New Street train station. Lots of bars and restaurants near-by. Unfortunately this leads to a lot of external noise, especially if you are in a room at the back of the hotel. During my most recent stay they had installed an extra internal window to help reduce the noise from outside, which helps. Sadly the bathroom windows are only single-glazed so a lot of noise comes in there. This is worsened by the fact the bathroom door in not the full length of the door frame, so doesn't block out all the external noise. The shortness of the door also means you may wake up your partner if you use the toilet or shower. The bathroom itself is tiny, even by Ibis standards (similar to the size of a toilet on a plane), but the shower is excellent. Room typically compact, good sized desk though and all very clean. Bed was quite comfy but the pillows were extremely thin. Friendly staff. If you can get a cheap rate and you're not a very light sleeper this is a good hotel.

1  Thank Zmith
K_TAHILIANI, Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here. We really value your feedback.
Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,714)

Reviewed 22 October 2011

This hotel is in the Chinese Quarter and the music from the nearby clubs can be heard until 4AM. If you are ok with this then the location is very convenient to the Bullring shopping as well as the nearby New Street and Moor train stations.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is further away from the clubs that have late night music.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here. We really value your feedback.

Reviewed 14 October 2011

Stayed one night. The check-in and check-out was friendly enough and hassle free so no problem there. Only one lift worked when I arrived but later the other one was working too so good to see they got on top of that problem in good time.

The room was clean and spacious enough although the bathroom was quite small in comparison to other Ibis hotels I've stayed in. The shower worked fine though. Bed was comfy enough for me.

Location is great for China Town and the Hippodrome. The main shopping centre isn't that far away and Birmingham is fairly easy to get around on foot.

Breakfast at the hotel would usually cost £7.50 but Ibis offer it for £5.00 on check-in. Is it worth it? Yes I suppose it is. Only 4 hot items but it was actually quite nice, and you can go up as many times as you want. An average cold buffet available along side and again, as much as you want.

The bar, I was told, is open 24/7 but I didn't take advantage of that. It there if you'd like a very late drink I suppose.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Glastoo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and if you would like to discuss that matter further with me please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Reviewed 10 October 2011

My room over looked the bars of the Arcdian Centre. All was quiet until around 10pm, then it was a continious beat of load music. Not even the secondary glazing stopped the noise! On another note the ironing facilities are possibly the worst i have ever seen. The ironing boards are about the right size for childrens clothes and the steamless irons with burnt bases made very hard work of a white shirt !! Not the best facilities for a city centre location likely to be used by office people who need to look decent for work !! Other than that check in staff were good and helpful and the bar area on the ground floor nice.

Room Tip: Request the side of the hotel not overlooking the Arcadian
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

As we are a City Centre Hotel and therefore there are some noise issues which are outside of our control. However we do try wherever possible to allocation rooms to guests away from any possible noise disturbance which does not appear to have happened in your case. On our guests recommendations we have introduced complimentary ear plugs which can be obtained from Reception. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience which may have been caused during your stay with us.We have also taken your note on the Ironing boards which is being addresed to.

Kind Regards

A TripAdvisor Member
Sheffield
Reviewed 8 October 2011

My room was damp and gave me a chest infection. The room also smelled terrible because of the damp (I think it was from the air conditioner and all the carpet was wet). i was moved for the second night but the staff on reception were incredible rude and miserable. Worst place I have stayed by far. Sort it out Ibis!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us and please accept my apologies for what appear to have been a very poor experience at the time. I would like to discuss this with you directly if you could contact me directly at the hotel either by phone or email.

Reviewed 7 October 2011

For several years I've had to visit Birmingham for work and until this time I have never stayed in a decent hotel: they've either been very grotty, too expensive and or the food has tasted awful. Finally I have found one. The Ibis is well located, well priced and the rooms clean and comfortable. Breakfasts were very good, so too the food on room service (although you have to go down to collect it so I guess it's not room service) and even though the room was a tad on the small side there was plenty of desk space to work. Wifi works well and was reasonably priced. I have asked the person who makes my hotel bookings to put me and colleagues in here again next time we need to be in the city. The only thing which could put some people off is the fact that it is in the heart of chinatown and clubland. Friday and Saturday nights are very noisy outside, if you're an easy sleeper like me it's no problem but be aware!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Ibis in Birmingham Centre. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay .We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 7 October 2011

I stayed as part of a stag group, the hotel is in a fantastic location and you can't be closer to all of the action of the Arcadia bar area. We were allocated a family room (which we hadn't booked) and the room was huge, the rest of group had normal rooms and did comment on how small they were. We overlooked all the bars so you couldnt have your windows open if you wanted some peace but the air con worked well and did the job.

There is security on the door late at night when you come back which is a good job really due to its location otherwise any tom, dick and harry could just wander in.

Would i stay here again, yes (at the right price)

Its a great budget hotel in the centre of Birmingham and the Breakfast was good!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends