“worst night's sleep in a long time”

Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street
Ranked #58 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I stayed at the Birmingham Ibis for one night on a business trip, on a Wednesday evening. Never again.

The hotel is well-positioned for New Street Station, and is well-appointed. Check-in was efficient and friendly.

I got to the second floor to find my room, and found (at 5pm) the corridor full of detritus from earlier cleaning sessions - linen and towels, food trays, empty bottles of booze, and so on. This hadn't been tidied up by the time I left at 9.15am the following morning.

My room was basically fine, with all the amenities you'd expect in a hotel of this level. In these days of 'Freeview' when everyone has 30+ digital channels at home, it's a bit of a shame to find most of them missing in a hotel room TV - and no radio channels, nor sports channels, etc. I had pre-booked a 'broadband' package which gave me access to all the movies (which I didn't want) and internet access (which I did). However, the internet access was solely via a cable - useless for my tablet and smartphone. I mentioned at check-out that I had had no benefit from the internet package as a result - but there was no offer of a refund, merely a mention that on a different arrangement I could buy wifi access for £10 per day or something.

The worst feature of my room was that it overlooked the Arcadian site - home of one (or more?) nightclub. Aware of the noise problem thus generated, the hotel has fitted secondary glazing. It is very effective at filtering out high frequency noise - I heard no voices, cars, etc. It is of course no use at all at filtering out the thumping bass of the club's music. The whole room shook. After 2am when the noise didn't stop, I rang the front desk to ask when it would. The reply was uncertain, but thought maybe 2.30pm. He offered to move me to a different room. If there were quieter rooms available, why wasn't one offered at check-in? Tucked up in bed, the last thing I really wanted to do at 2.15am was to get dressed, gather my belongings, and move to another room. In fact, the music stopped at 3.08am.

Breakfast was unremarkable, but I was too tired to care.

Unless you are in Birmingham to go clubbing, and want a place to crash when the club closes, I wouldn't recommend the Ibis to you under any circumstances. I'm not a light sleeper, and can sleep through a great deal, but I didn't get a lot of sleep there. The City Planners should never have allowed these two businesses to be in such close proximity - it is a no-win situation.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one - if such things exist!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
K_TAHILIANI, Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us and please accept my apologies for what appear to have been a very poor experience at the time. I would like to discuss this with you directly if you could contact me directly at the hotel either by phone or email.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,713)

Reviewed 4 May 2012

This hotel is ideally suited to those who need to be close to Birmingham New Street station. It has security for the lifts so if you are not booked into the hotel you cannot just go up to someone’s room. The room was booked the same day of staying and we paid £49.00. It is within walking distance of the shops and the Birmingham Ballroom venue. It is set in the Chinese quarter and I had a view of this from my window.
The bad bits: The room was very small and the en-suite was extremely disappointing. It was badly designed and the water from the shower has been rotting the wood frame of the door of the en-suite but they have just painted over this. It was also not as clean as I would have wanted, but due to it being a very wet day, I was grateful to be in a dry room. I would imagine it does not get many good reviews on hot days!

2  Thank Jasminestorm

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis Birmingham Centre hotel.We have taken a note of the Wooden frame and have rectified it. We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

This is the first time I've stayed at an Ibis hotel for quite a few years. I've stayed at the etap Hotel a few 100 yards away twice before, so having experienced the very basic rooms there, the Ibis met my expectations in offering a more comfortable bed and bedroom, this time with a hair dryer and kettle. The bathroom was totally enclosed and as well as the token bar of soap, there was a wall-mounted shampoo dispenser and two better quality towels. The windows, being overlooked by other rooms, could have benefited from net curtains.

Check-in, after a slight wait, was quick and the receptionist personable. The foyer area is large, merging into the bar/restaurant area and access to the upper floors via the lift required use of the room key card.

Others have mentioned the noise from the neighbouring nightclubs. I stayed on a Monday night and my 4th (top) floor room overlooked the rear service area, rather than the entertainment complex that adjoins the other wing of this hotel. I woke a couple of times during the night. At 2am, when I first woke, although it wasn't immediately obvious, after a while I did detect the sound of music originating from a nightclub. Given my room's location, I had to strain hard to really listen to the sound, so it didn't prevent me from dropping off again. When I next woke around 4am, there was total silence.

Breakfast was OK. Not the best quality bacon, sausage or baked beans, it has to be said, but was perfectly edible. The continental selection was pretty standard fare too. I pre-paid for this - a cost of £7.50. When I checked in, there was a sign offering a discounted £5 breakfast. Next time, I might delay paying for breakfast until check-in.

Check-out was quick and trouble-free.

You will no doubt choose to stay here if you are keen to keep costs down. This is probably not the "best" area in Birmingham (though being close to New Street station is good) and the local eateries are a bit hit and miss. I am more a Brindley Place guy (the canal-side area of the city), but the hotels in that part of town are much more expensive. If I stay here again, I might try the Ibis' own restaurant with its light meal options.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room that doesn't overlook the street or entertainment complex.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for posting your thoughts on trip advisor. We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

Don't stay here!!! Unless you want to be kept up all night!! Stayed on a Monday and the music from a nearby club was playing all night got no sleep!!

• Stayed: April 2012
K_TAHILIANI, Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

As we are a City Centre Hotel and therefore there are some noise issues which are outside of our control even after the windows are double glazed. However we do try wherever possible to allocation rooms to guests away from any possible noise disturbance which does not appear to have happened in your case.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience which may have been caused during your stay with us.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights for a city break with young daughter.

Hotel was close to main rail station, but on wrong side of tracks, with lots of building work nearby and not close to any of the tourist attractions.

As commented elsewhere, the hotel was surrounded by nightclubs, many of whose visitors seemed to be staying at the hotel on the basis of the constant activity during the night.

Staff at reception were friendly when we checked in, giving us the room 2 hours before the official time, but didn't see many people after that.

Room was no frills, but perfectly clean.

I would stay here again if I were travelling alone, wanted somewhere reasonable in the heart of Birmingham, but didn't have to be near the conference centres.

Not really a family vacation place. Probably a good spot if you like clubbing.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
K_TAHILIANI, Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Birmingham Centre.

An Accor traveller
Rugby
Reviewed 25 April 2012

1  Thank An Accor traveller

Reviewed 22 April 2012

The Ibis is located in the middle of the Chinese Quarter of Birmingham and therefore has a good choice of restaurants and nightlife nearby. It's about a 10 minute walk from New Street Station so ideal if you are travelling by train. The rooms are clean and, whilst small, have everything you need (TV, Kettle etc). The shower was particularly nice, with good temperature and pressure, and the bed is a nice size. The downside to this hotel is that it is very noisy at night, due to it being above and next to several bars and clubs. The room has good double glazing but the booming of music is still quite audible. There's probably little the hotel can do about it unfortunately. Having said that, I slept through the noise so it wasn't a major issue for me, but it might be for lighter-sleepers.

1  Thank Psychomatt

Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Ibis Birmingham centre, As stated also there are few noise issues beyond our control , the windows are double glazed but as there are clubs around in the lively Arcadian centre. We do try our best to allocate rooms away from the noise whenever it is possible to do so

we hope to see you on your next trip.