“Small and comfortable room”

Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street
Ranked #57 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I had a 3 nights stay at the hotel. Room was tidy and clean. Bed is a little too hard for me but was bearable.
I love the location is easy access to city centre and lots of restaurants in this area.
The only downside of this hotel is too close to the night clubs and can be noisy at night.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
K_TAHILIANI, Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay. I’ll look into the points your raised personally, and in the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the ibis Birmingham City Centre very soon.
Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,730)

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Lovely staff, location great. clean rooms. everyone very friendly.
comfy beds, nice sized bathroom too.
Would recommend! Rooms must be sound proof as it was so quiet, even when we knew the traffic was beeping and reving outside!

Room Tip: all rooms look nice. Quiet even tho you are in the city centre!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

So glad you had an enjoyable time at ibis Birmingham City Centre. We very much appreciate the feedback. With regards to the soundproofing the rooms: this is something we are looking into. we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

I stay in central Birmingham once a week, usually at the Bullring Travelodge. Despite the Ibis being quite a lot more, £55 compared to £33 I needed to work and the unlimited internet access for £4.99 was the key factor as there is no internet access from the Travelodge bedrooms. A word of caution here: The internet access in this offer is for wired broadband only, not Wi-Fi. No good at all if you are working from an i-pad, actually totally useless and a waste of money as the free movies they offer as part of the deal appear to be only available via the wired broadband. There is Wi-Fi in the room via Orange but there is a charge for this. Unfortunately the signal was so weak I couldn’t even get the page with the costs to load! On checking in the wired broadband was explained to me as I had pre-booked it on the web site. When I complained I was told all the information is on the web site. I’ve just had a look and it’s still very misleading and mentions nothing of it being hard wired only and also shows the Wi-Fi sign. When I was complaining to the receptionist I got the feeling this was not the first conversation she had on the subject. They also wouldn’t give me a refund.

There were a few other problems also. The room was extremely hot and despite the air conditioning unit appearing to blow out cold air it wasn’t sufficiently powerful to cool the room which remained very hot all night despite opening the window.

One of the pillows had a horrible mildew type stain as shown on the photo although the rest of the room did appear to look clean.

There were 6 hangers but these were the type you see in M&S with trousers hanging from them. No good at all for hanging a jacket on.

The TV was a flat screen but pretty old and the choice of channels was very limited, not even all the freeview ones you now get in all the standard hotel rooms.

On the plus side, my room faced the back of the building so was quiet compared to those which overlook the main road. Also the bed, despite appearances, was very comfortable.

The room was smaller than the Travelodge as was the bathroom by a considerable amount. Also the decorations and furnishings are very dark and lead to a drab appearance. Not the super white bed linen as shown on the Ibis web site. I’m just about to book next week’s stay but it won’t be at the Ibis!

Room Tip: If you really must stay here, ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
K_TAHILIANI, Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thank you for your comments. I can assure you the matter is being looked into. Feel free to email me on h1459-gm@accor.com to discuss this further.

Kind regards
Kishor Tahiliani
Operations Manager

Reviewed 1 February 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 3 days. The hotel is basic but extremely clean. Couldnt fault it - the staff were very friendly, the bedroom was bigger than i thought and very clean. Location wise it is ideal. Not even ten minutes walk from the train station and pretty much across the road for the Bullring shopping centre. We got a taxi to the Mailbox for dinner - £3.50 in a taxi. Would definitely return to this hotel if I was going back to Birmingham. The price was also very reasonable for such a central hotel. Also, Leo on reception was so helpful throughout our stay - thank you!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at ibis Birmingham City Centre.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 January 2013

Handy for the train station, bull ring, town hall ( we went to a concert there).

Right in the middle of china town, a bit noisy til late on but not too bad.

Room lovely and clean, bed very comfortable

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

I stayed here with a friend in December for a spot of Christmas shopping. The location in Chinatown is a short walk to the bullring and main shopping areas and perfect for good Chinese restaurants nearby. Our room backed on to a busy nightlife area down below, so I recommend ear plugs especially if you are visiting over the weekend like we were! The noise did carry on until 3am with loud thudding music. Rooms are small and basic, but we weren’t there to spend time in the rooms so it was fine for us – I wouldn’t stay here for a longer trip or a holiday though.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Many thanks for letting us know your thoughts, and rest assured we are working with the local council to try and reduce the noise pollution which is generated of external night life. Contact me at any time by email me on h1459-dm@accor.com if you’d like to discuss things further. With kind regards,