“Worst hotel experience ever”

Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street
Ranked #58 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I arrived in Birmingham the night before a big conference I was attending. I had booked and paid for four nights several weeks in advance, but when I arrived I was told that they had overbooked and that I had to spend the first night in another hotel. The staff was not at all helpful in this quite distressful situation. I was told to sit down and wait for a taxi. When the taxi driver finally entered the lobby, the women I had been talking to seemed to have disappeared and another woman asked me if I had ordered a taxi and that it was here. She had no clue about the situation, and apparently they were going to put me in this taxi without even informing me about the destination. It turned out that this other hotel wasn't even close to Birmingham, let alone the city centre. The proposed hotel was actually in Coventry, which is a good 30-45 minute drive away.

I wasn't alone in this hopeless situation, several other guests were also relocated to different hotels. One of them joined me in the taxi, and off we went to Coventry. The next morning I decided to have the reception call to make sure that my room was available as soon as I came back, because I needed to prepare for the conference. They assured me that the room would be ready, and yet when I came back after having to wait for the taxi to drive all the way from Birmingham to pick me up, I still had to wait for 20-30 minutes while the room was being cleaned. All in all I wasted at least 2.5 hours going back and forth to Coventry and waiting for the staff to sort out their business.

As if this wasn't enough, they put me in a noisy room facing the arcade in the back of the hotel, with a bar facing my window. They gave me a somewhat quieter room after I complained.

I have never had such a horrible hotel experience in my life. I was offered no compensation, but of course I asked for it. First, they tried to give me a free night at the same hotel -- which needless to say I'm never going back to. I then asked for a refund for the first night, which they agreed to. But when I checked my bank account later, they had refunded me for the cheapest of the four nights, which was 50% cheaper than the first night. Several emails and weeks later, they managed to refund the remainder.

I find it amazing that they can run a hotel this way. If I had treated a customer this badly, I would at least have had the decency to offer a proper compensation and not have the customer ask for it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the arcade area in the back of the hotel.
Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ms_mester
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Ms. Mester,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

I am sorry to learn about your unpleasant experience during your stay a few months ago. I can see from your review that the book out was rather stressful and I can assure you that this is not our standard approach. Since September last year we had a change of manegement team and also have put more emphasis on customer service. Your feedback is very useful in further coaching of the team and I have shared your review with reception department.

Joanna

Write a ReviewReviews (1,711)

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Amazing value for the price. Spotlessly clean room and shower-room. Excellent value buffet breakfast enabled by efficient and friendly staff (Ingrid). Also had 24 hours secure, gated underground parking for £10. This newly refurbished hotel is an absolute budget must. stayed overnight 7/1/14. will definitely use again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew C
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Andrew,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your positive feedback with housekeeping and reception teams. I am sure that Ingird will very much appreciate your very kind review. We look forward to welcomign you back again soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel on New Year’s Eve. It has been redecorated and re-fitted in the entrance/lobby/reception and is very nice and modern.

Everywhere was clean and looked good.

Our room was a standard room on the 2nd floor. The room was well appointed, clean and decorated as well as being quite a nice size. The bed was quite comfortable with nice bedding and comfy pillows. We asked for 3 more pillows and it was no trouble getting these for us.

The bathroom is quite small but adequate with a nice shower area.

The room was very hot and we needed the window open even though the heating was off. I don't know why this was.

The room had tea/coffee and free Wi-Fi which was a bonus.

All this makes for a rating of very good.

However breakfast let the hotel down. The hot breakfast items were not plentiful and the sausages were burnt. When the bacon and beans had run out it took an eternity for these to be replenished. The hot chocolate and orange juice in the machines ran out and it took me asking 3 times and being told each time it would be done straight away for it to actually be re-filled.

Breakfast finished 45 minutes after I sat down and already they were clearing salt and pepper and the sugar/sweetener off tables. It made me feel like I was an inconvenience as they wanted to clear up and get home. Debbie one of the staff was REALLY lovely and said yes to everything, but actually walked around doing nothing, not remembering what you had asked her and passively aggressively delegating things to colleagues.

She had got this off to quite an art. Ha ha ha !!

This is why I was going to initially only give my stay an average rating.

Overall – very good hotel, in a great central position with many shops, amenities and other tourist things to do nearby.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for your review. I am very pleased to see that you chose our hotel to celebrate New Year's Eve. It is great to see that you found our hotel comfortable and clean and that you appreciate free wifi and the service provided by reception team. At the same time I am very sorry to hear about your breakfast experience. Please, rest re assured that I will share your feedback with breakfast team and that the issues you outlined will be followed up on.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to wlecome you again soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Samjr27

Reviewed 26 December 2013

A vastly superior experience to the Britannia, here's a cheap hotel that yes, may have small rooms, but is clean, comfortable, quiet and relaxing. Nothing particularly luxurious, but then I wasn't expecting that for the price. Would certainly stay again, especially as it's in a central area of the city unlike many budget hotels.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Moses L
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed hotel location, found our bedrooms clean and the stay relaxing in overall.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Stayed two nights in room 325, overlooking the Arcadian. Although the room felt small, and the bathroom even smaller, we could not fault the hotel. Seriously comfy bed, excellent shower, perfect location for everything in Brum: shopping, dining, Hippodrome, etc. We parked about 5 minutes walk down Bromsgrove street for £5 per day, had a lunch at the Chinese across the street (have to recommend the Dim Sum!), and shopped like mad. Hotel bar and 24 hour snacks all very reasonably priced, and there is a Wetherspoon around the corner too. Very quiet in the room thanks to the two staged double glazing, and although we faced the lift lobby we did not hear lifts all night. Reception staff were very accommodating and the overnight security guard was very welcome in this city centre location! Had a huge pre-pay offer some 6 months before our stay on only paid £65 for the two nights. Bargain! We will stay here again, even if the rate is less favourable, as we thought the hotel was perfectly situated and we liked the smaller touches, like mid-day check-in and a well-staffed lobby, even after 22:00 and beyond.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am very pleased that you found our location convenient, Sweet Bed by Ibis comfortable, shower powerful and that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad to see that you found the hotel well staffed and that you appreciate the security on site. I will share your feedback with the whole team as I am sure it will be very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you again.