“Must say great location”

Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street
Ranked #60 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Zurich, Switzerland
“Must say great location”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

A very nice ibis hotel, after some bad Accor experience in the UK i have to say with Ibis you know what you get
Nice clean room, small of course but is ibis.. super TV and nice bed… lovely housekeeping and very friendly staff at the reception, would recommend this hotel to all who like party as it is quite noisy on weekends as one of the night live districts of Birmingham is just next for.
All in all a great hotel for a good price, compliment!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear AndyRandy,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am very happy to see your positive review of friendliness of reception and housekeeping teams. It is great to see that we have managed to recover your trust in Accor.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Joanna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed at the Ibis for the second time recently, although last time was about 10 years ago it hasn't changed much other than the downstairs areas.

Before arriving I requested a top floor room for the photo opportunities and was granted this very gratefully, this I was obviously very happy about.

The room sizes are adequate but bathroom is not good for tall people, sitting down on the toilet involved a brush of head against shower door, i'm 6' 4" so dread to think how that would go with taller people!

The room was clean and came with the basics, shower was good but had to do some DIY to stop the shower head leaking, bed was comfy but would have been better with an extra pillow as there's only one spare!

The big let down was the fact the internal walls are just one layer of plasterboard, go find a bit in your house if you have any and lightly tap on it and note how easily you can hear the noise....then imagine like we had the second night if some idiot decides to play drums on this and you can feel it move while you're sat up leaning on the headboard attached to it....not the hotels fault specifically but while outside noise is nearly all but stopped (beeping taxis could still be heard from the top floor) inside you can hear every door slam, word and movement of other people which leads to paranoia about your own actions being able to be heard by everyone else....suffice to say the noise of creaking beds can be heard down corridors!

The plasterboard seems inadequate for the weight of the bathroom door that makes a loud noise unless you shut it so delicately it takes a lot of concentration, they definately aren't up to holding the door of the room and if you're unlucky enough to have a room around others who are in there together you'll hear every door slam in the middle of the night and not get any sleep until 2am! Also fingers crossed you never hear that fire alarm at 4am, what a scary way to wake up! Not the hotels fault but my god what a noise!

I would dearly love to give this 5 as it's fantastic value for money and you won't find many cheaper in any city centre in the UK unless you go for something you really wouldn't want to stay in, but it's all let down by being able to hear other peoples stays so easily and the fact the quality of your stay relies heavily on other peoples consideration towards others, sadly our neighbours, particularly on the second night, didn't make the night very enjoyable and I just wanted to go home at that point.

Thanks to the Ibis in Birmingham for a pleasant stay, I would go back but only if it could be guaranteed we'd have noone next to us!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Chinatown side at the top, you don't hear much noise up there from outside...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dan,

I would like to thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to see such a positive review of our team here at Ibis Birmingham Centre. At the same time I am very sorry that the quality of your stay was affected by the noise coming from other hotel guests and the nightlife of Birmingham city centre. We have reception team available 24/7 as well as the security on site every night in order to assist with any queries. However, I can completely appreciate that the fire alarm and noise disturbance you described could not have been rectified by us. Please, accept my apologies for that. Please, could I take this opportunity to explain that additional pillows can be requested from reception. Having read your feedback in regards to the size of bathroom, I hope you do not mind me suggesting that accessible bedroom may be requested in case of future stays as they are equipped with larger bathrooms (subject to availability).

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back again the future.

Cockermouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is conveniently located in the Arcadia centre walking distance to the Bullring ,Hippodrome and New Street railway station.It is great value for money and offers twin rooms as well as double rooms, a varied breakfast and free wifi.There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room.The rooms are small but adequate , with tiny bathroom but the shower is good quality .The rooms are spotlessly clean.Despite being in the city centre there was no significant noise overnight.The lifts ,stairwells and corridors are security controlled by room key swipe cards.There is a on site bar but no vending machine.All you could ask for in a budget hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us. We are very pleased that you found everything you need in our hotel, enjoyed our free wifi and food and beverage offer. I will gladly share your positive feedback in regards to room cleanliness with housekeeping department and your overall review with reception team.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Situated less than 10 mins walk from the train station in China town. Very near the shops, restaurants etc.

Check in was friendly + quick.

The ground floor has been refurbished + is a huge improvement. Very modern + stylish.

Room serves its purpose. No frills + comfy bed. Went to make a hot drink but both mugs in the room were dirty. Hair in 1, lipstick marks on the other + both had dirty marks outside + in the mugs. Very off putting. Didn't have a hot drink due to this.

Breakfast is good value with lots of choice, both hot + cold items. Ingrid is extremely friendly + welcoming.

Will return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 0xMx0
Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very happy to see your positive review of our team, hotel location and newly renovated lobby. I have also shared your positive feedback about breakfast with Ingrid who was very pleased to hear it. Please accept my apologies in regards to the mugs in your bedroom. I can assure you that I have followed up on that with housekeeping department and that corrective actions have been taken.

Thank you again for your feedback which is invaluable in our efforts to improve service we provide. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

A nice, well designed hot with rooms which are big enough, just about, as long as you don’t want to spend too much time in them. It was brilliantly close to the Bullring and Museum (which I highly recommend).

However, I wouldn’t call it quiet! Even though I moved from the front to the back (which was better) I was still kept awake on Friday and Saturday night by the bass and vibrations of the bass from whatever nightclub is located in the area. Even with the windows closed I was aware of it. Apparently the website describes the area as “lively” which is fine, but I didn’t expect to feel like I was in the nightclub, my heart rate rose meaning I couldn’t get to sleep until 5am.

There’s not much the hotel could do about this, but I feel strongly that unless your out getting drunk yourself, this is probably not the hotel for you. Mind you, I could sleep through the drunken shrieking! Just not the vibrating bed or deep bass echoing around my rib cage.

The hotel were very nice about it.

Room Tip: At the back is quieter as the front faces onto the main street.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to see that you found our location convenient and the team pleasant. I would like to sincerely apologise for the noise problems you had in our hotel. We are aware of the issues with the surrounding area, and doing our very best to come up with a solution for the problem. We are in very close contact with the council and looking into getting new windows fitted in the rooms affected by the noise. I hope that this incident has not affected your views on the Ibis Brand.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed here just for the one night when we had a shopping day then relaxed and freshened up in the hotel before we went out on the night time to the Glee club and meal afterwards,
The hotel has a secure underground car park (£10) but is difficult to find best to contact reception and they will give directions.
Hotel staff were very good nothing too much trouble good English breakfast tea making facilities in the room.

Room Tip: Our room over looked the main entrance and road which got a bit noisy with people leaving clubs to g...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very happy to see your positive review of our team which I was very happy to share with reception department. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that the bedroom overlooking clubs did not affect the quality of your stay.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed here quite a while ago now, but I remember this hotel being so horrible it put me off staying in Ibis hotels for a long time.
The first thing I saw walking in were some drunk people sitting at a very run down bar...the reception staff weren't particularly pleasant either.
The room was stuffy, smelly and dark. The bathroom was as small as one on an airplane but was clean at least.
Also it's very noisy, I stayed here for a night out in Birmingham and got a cab to Broad Street so it was ok location wise...but when we got back I didn't sleep a wink due to being able to hear everything going on around me!
Wouldn't stay here again...there are better hotels in Birmingham for the same price range!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank browneyedowl
Dear Amy,

Thank you for your feedback. While I am glad that you found hotel cleanliness and location convenient, I am sorry that the bedroom design as well as the noise affected the quality of your stay. We are aware of the noise issues with the surrounding area and are in very close contact with local clubs. We are also looking into getting new windows fitted. I hope that thie experience did not impact your overall image of Ibis brand.

Thank you again for your feedback which is invaluable in our efforts to improve the quality of services.

Joanna

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels