“Better than expected”

Ranked #54 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The hotel is right next to the bull ring, watch out when entering the car park it's a very small door under the hotel only just wide enough to fit your car.

The hotel is well placed for the brew dog and Wellington pub for real ale lovers. The staff are prompt and the hotel is clean enough, if a little tired looking under the surface. The night I was there every item of food I requested was off with the exception of a margarita pizza which was out of a box from (insert super market of your choice). The breakfast was great but the location at reception next to the room used for conferences could be better, but for £49 I'm not going to moan.

The location was nice and quiet and easy to find off the M6. it's the first time I've used Ibis but I would use this place again. Be aware it's not a hotel for anybody with kids, they don't do family rooms, go with premier inn if that's what you need.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cuzeng
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I will gladly share your positive feedback with breakfast team and housekeeping department. May I take this opportunity to explain that we have limited number of family bedrooms in the hotel accommodating two adults and one child.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Joanna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
sheffield
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Perfect location and good reception area which raised my spirits, but sadly bedrooms have not had the same facelift.
The bedrooms are small but clean, the walls thin, it's a bit like a student residence. The breakfasts were a bit dire and certainly not worth £8 the only thing I managed were Rice Krispies the normal spread is available but the croissants are so dry they were inedible on two morning, the fried breakfast doesn't fare much better.
Great care is needed in the car park as it's very narrow but there is no warning before you get down to the gate. I phoned to ask about the car park space the night before and no one mentioned the fact that my car may be too big Picasso C4, there is a sign but it's right next to the door it should be clearly stated at the main entrance. As I was wedged between the wall and narrow gate when I could read it. There is a great deal of parking around so if you have a larger car I would think about alternative parking as I will have to have my car fixed as it is scraped all down one side.
I was staying here because I was on a course, think I would pay a bit extra and move out of the budget bracket.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank margaretspps
Dear Margaret,

I would like to thank you for your feedback. While I am glad that you found our location convenient, I am sorry that you did not find the quality of our breakfast meeting your expectations. I will shared your feedback with breakfast team. I am also sorry that you damaged your car while using our car park. The sign at the entrance advises that large vehicles could be parked in the car park opposite our hotel at the same rate. I appreciate your comments in regards to making that clearer at booking stage.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 March 2014

A very nice ibis hotel, after some bad Accor experience in the UK i have to say with Ibis you know what you get
Nice clean room, small of course but is ibis.. super TV and nice bed… lovely housekeeping and very friendly staff at the reception, would recommend this hotel to all who like party as it is quite noisy on weekends as one of the night live districts of Birmingham is just next for.
All in all a great hotel for a good price, compliment!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear AndyRandy,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am very happy to see your positive review of friendliness of reception and housekeeping teams. It is great to see that we have managed to recover your trust in Accor.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed at the Ibis for the second time recently, although last time was about 10 years ago it hasn't changed much other than the downstairs areas.

Before arriving I requested a top floor room for the photo opportunities and was granted this very gratefully, this I was obviously very happy about.

The room sizes are adequate but bathroom is not good for tall people, sitting down on the toilet involved a brush of head against shower door, i'm 6' 4" so dread to think how that would go with taller people!

The room was clean and came with the basics, shower was good but had to do some DIY to stop the shower head leaking, bed was comfy but would have been better with an extra pillow as there's only one spare!

The big let down was the fact the internal walls are just one layer of plasterboard, go find a bit in your house if you have any and lightly tap on it and note how easily you can hear the noise....then imagine like we had the second night if some idiot decides to play drums on this and you can feel it move while you're sat up leaning on the headboard attached to it....not the hotels fault specifically but while outside noise is nearly all but stopped (beeping taxis could still be heard from the top floor) inside you can hear every door slam, word and movement of other people which leads to paranoia about your own actions being able to be heard by everyone else....suffice to say the noise of creaking beds can be heard down corridors!

The plasterboard seems inadequate for the weight of the bathroom door that makes a loud noise unless you shut it so delicately it takes a lot of concentration, they definately aren't up to holding the door of the room and if you're unlucky enough to have a room around others who are in there together you'll hear every door slam in the middle of the night and not get any sleep until 2am! Also fingers crossed you never hear that fire alarm at 4am, what a scary way to wake up! Not the hotels fault but my god what a noise!

I would dearly love to give this 5 as it's fantastic value for money and you won't find many cheaper in any city centre in the UK unless you go for something you really wouldn't want to stay in, but it's all let down by being able to hear other peoples stays so easily and the fact the quality of your stay relies heavily on other peoples consideration towards others, sadly our neighbours, particularly on the second night, didn't make the night very enjoyable and I just wanted to go home at that point.

Thanks to the Ibis in Birmingham for a pleasant stay, I would go back but only if it could be guaranteed we'd have noone next to us!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Chinatown side at the top, you don't hear much noise up there from outside...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dan,

I would like to thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to see such a positive review of our team here at Ibis Birmingham Centre. At the same time I am very sorry that the quality of your stay was affected by the noise coming from other hotel guests and the nightlife of Birmingham city centre. We have reception team available 24/7 as well as the security on site every night in order to assist with any queries. However, I can completely appreciate that the fire alarm and noise disturbance you described could not have been rectified by us. Please, accept my apologies for that. Please, could I take this opportunity to explain that additional pillows can be requested from reception. Having read your feedback in regards to the size of bathroom, I hope you do not mind me suggesting that accessible bedroom may be requested in case of future stays as they are equipped with larger bathrooms (subject to availability).

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back again the future.

Cockermouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is conveniently located in the Arcadia centre walking distance to the Bullring ,Hippodrome and New Street railway station.It is great value for money and offers twin rooms as well as double rooms, a varied breakfast and free wifi.There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room.The rooms are small but adequate , with tiny bathroom but the shower is good quality .The rooms are spotlessly clean.Despite being in the city centre there was no significant noise overnight.The lifts ,stairwells and corridors are security controlled by room key swipe cards.There is a on site bar but no vending machine.All you could ask for in a budget hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us. We are very pleased that you found everything you need in our hotel, enjoyed our free wifi and food and beverage offer. I will gladly share your positive feedback in regards to room cleanliness with housekeeping department and your overall review with reception team.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Situated less than 10 mins walk from the train station in China town. Very near the shops, restaurants etc.

Check in was friendly + quick.

The ground floor has been refurbished + is a huge improvement. Very modern + stylish.

Room serves its purpose. No frills + comfy bed. Went to make a hot drink but both mugs in the room were dirty. Hair in 1, lipstick marks on the other + both had dirty marks outside + in the mugs. Very off putting. Didn't have a hot drink due to this.

Breakfast is good value with lots of choice, both hot + cold items. Ingrid is extremely friendly + welcoming.

Will return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 0xMx0
Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very happy to see your positive review of our team, hotel location and newly renovated lobby. I have also shared your positive feedback about breakfast with Ingrid who was very pleased to hear it. Please accept my apologies in regards to the mugs in your bedroom. I can assure you that I have followed up on that with housekeeping department and that corrective actions have been taken.

Thank you again for your feedback which is invaluable in our efforts to improve service we provide. We hope to welcome you again soon.