Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street
Ranked #51 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hitchin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed at Ibis Birmingham City Centre for a three night weekend as part of a conference booking.

I was pleased to have free wifi and the bed was comfortable. The rooms were clean. The hotel is a short walk from Birmingham New Street Rail Station. The lunches provided for the conference were actually quite impressive and varied.

There are tea/coffee making facilities in the room, although housekeeping would remove the teabags and spoons and not replace them...

The only bin is in the bathroom, so you have to lean over the toilet to put a teabag in the bin which I feel is a little unhygienic.

The body towels in the bathroom are a little on the small side.

The heating in the bedroom could not be individually controlled. I found myself quite uncomfortable at night as it was too hot (and I wouldn't open the windows due to street noise).

There was quite a bit of movement in the corridor with people coming and going during the early hours of the morning.

One night the fire alarm sounded at 4am as someone was smoking in their room, this woke the whole hotel up. Reception were able to quickly identify which room the smoke was coming from, although if this is the case I don't see why it is necessary to wake the whole hotel up first! Unfortunately for me I had a full day's work ahead of me in one of the hotel's conference rooms, followed by a very long journey home.

The Reception staff were polite and friendly, unless a complaint was being made.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Sienna,

Thank you for your feedback. Our conference team was very pleased to see that you enjoyed our lunch offer. I have shared your feedback with housekeeping and reception teams. I am very sorry that you were awaken by fire alarm. May I take this opportunity to explain that as per fire procedures, fire alarm cannot be switched off until the reason of the activation has been investigated and it is certain that our guests and hotel team are safe.

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed here overnight on a business trip.

Having booked and then read some of the truly awful reviews on TripAdvisor, I was a little wary and wishing I'd booked elsewhere.

However, although the room was basic, it was clean, had all the 'bits' you'd expect, and the bed was very comfortable. My room was overlooking Chinatown and having read about the noise issues previous travellers had experienced I purchased ear plugs but didn't need them and had a good night's sleep.

A decent, basic hotel in a very convenient location for the city centre.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank anu63
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Anu,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased to see that you found Ibis Birmingham Centre clean and comfortable. I am also glad to see that you found our accomodation suitable for business stay.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

The hotel is right next to the bull ring, watch out when entering the car park it's a very small door under the hotel only just wide enough to fit your car.

The hotel is well placed for the brew dog and Wellington pub for real ale lovers. The staff are prompt and the hotel is clean enough, if a little tired looking under the surface. The night I was there every item of food I requested was off with the exception of a margarita pizza which was out of a box from (insert super market of your choice). The breakfast was great but the location at reception next to the room used for conferences could be better, but for £49 I'm not going to moan.

The location was nice and quiet and easy to find off the M6. it's the first time I've used Ibis but I would use this place again. Be aware it's not a hotel for anybody with kids, they don't do family rooms, go with premier inn if that's what you need.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cuzeng
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I will gladly share your positive feedback with breakfast team and housekeeping department. May I take this opportunity to explain that we have limited number of family bedrooms in the hotel accommodating two adults and one child.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

sheffield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Perfect location and good reception area which raised my spirits, but sadly bedrooms have not had the same facelift.
The bedrooms are small but clean, the walls thin, it's a bit like a student residence. The breakfasts were a bit dire and certainly not worth £8 the only thing I managed were Rice Krispies the normal spread is available but the croissants are so dry they were inedible on two morning, the fried breakfast doesn't fare much better.
Great care is needed in the car park as it's very narrow but there is no warning before you get down to the gate. I phoned to ask about the car park space the night before and no one mentioned the fact that my car may be too big Picasso C4, there is a sign but it's right next to the door it should be clearly stated at the main entrance. As I was wedged between the wall and narrow gate when I could read it. There is a great deal of parking around so if you have a larger car I would think about alternative parking as I will have to have my car fixed as it is scraped all down one side.
I was staying here because I was on a course, think I would pay a bit extra and move out of the budget bracket.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank margaretspps
Dear Margaret,

I would like to thank you for your feedback. While I am glad that you found our location convenient, I am sorry that you did not find the quality of our breakfast meeting your expectations. I will shared your feedback with breakfast team. I am also sorry that you damaged your car while using our car park. The sign at the entrance advises that large vehicles could be parked in the car park opposite our hotel at the same rate. I appreciate your comments in regards to making that clearer at booking stage.

Thank you again for your feedback.