“Comfortable room in a great location”

Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street
Ranked #56 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I can only give a brief review as we only stayed for one night visiting friends for a night out in Moseley.

The hotel is in a great location - It's right beside China Town and a few pubs, pretty much in the centre of town. Shopping, the theatre and train station are all a very short walk away. Easy to find in the car too.

We were greeted by very friendly staff within the nicely decorated reception/lobby area. The bar looks nice although we didn't get a drink there. Our room on the 3rd floor was pretty spacious with a comfy large bed. Big telly and tea and coffee were in the room. The bathroom was quite small but had a lovely walk-in shower with fluffy towels and plenty of shower gel to use.

We managed to get a space in the basement car park of the building. It seems pretty secure (although smelt like chips from the kitchens) and at £10 I thought it was reasonably priced. We were told we were able to leave the car there after we checked out the next day if we fancied a wander into the centre.

We arrive at the hotel at about 8pm and could hear the hustle and bustle outside starting to kick off. We didn't get back till the early hours and didn't think it was particularly noisy (although I may have not been in a particularly fit state to have noticed!)

In summary - good price, good location, would stay here again if visiting Birmingham.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xena82
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Reception team was very happy with your lovely review of team helpfulness, standard of accommodation and location of our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming yuou back again soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Me and my partner stayed at the property just for one night last summer. The bed was comfy but the bathroom was smaller than my wardrobe at home. We asked to get things sent to our room from the bar but that's a no no. There was no air-con and it was boiling hot at night so we had to keep our window open to try and make it bearable but unfortunately our room overlooked the strip club and noisy street meaning we heard far too much that evening. Breakfast was standard - nothing special but nothing bad. My partner went for a shower after breakfast, however housekeeping knocked and let herself in despite the sign on the door - at 10am. I explained that we weren't due to check out until 12 and she got rather annoyed with us. Then just half an hour later she did the exact same thing and walked in whilst my partner was changing. Needless to say that I was irate. We checked out asap afterwards - and when I say checked out I mean I was just asked to hand my card over and walk away... I complained to the manager afterwards and received a 20% voucher off my next stay but I wouldn't even pay £30 a night, let alone £50. I work as a Travel Agent and out of all the hotels I've done inspections in - both in the UK and around the world, this is by far the worst I've stayed in. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the hotel, not facing the strip club!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Lemmi,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to see such a negative review especially posted almost a year after your stay with us. I would like to sincerly apologise for the noise issue and assure you that I have shared your feedback with housekeeping and reception teams. While it is likely that the housekeeping and reception team members concerned no longer work with us, I am sure that your review will serve as constructive criticism for the team. I can see that you raised your concerns with the former hotel manager. I would like to assure you that since last summer we have conducted multiple customer service trainings and that we strive to make sure that our guests feel welcome and comfortable in our hotel.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The hotel is in a great position, rooms are clean and comfortable and breakfast is good. But on Friday and Saturday nights the night club next door is very loud and goes on until 3 am. Lots of very nosiy people staying in hotel and the walls are thin. Found someone asleep in the corridor when we went for breakfast - obviously had a good night

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Ian,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am very pleased to see that you found our bedrooms clean and comfortable. I have also shared your positive review of breakfast with food and beverage department. I am sorry that you were disturbed by the noise and about the morning incident. We have reception team available 24/7 and security on site every night in order to assist with such difficulties. I will be certain to share your feedback with the team.

Once more, thank you for your review. We hope to welcoem you back again.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here on a Saturday using Tesco club card vouchers, the booking process at the hotel was straightforward and check in was a pleasure - very friendly and helpful lady at the check in desk. The car park was full when we arrived and we were directed over the road, they arranged a discount so we payed the same rate as the hotel's car park.
The room was very clean and the bed was super comfy. The shower room was small but everything worked fine. The hotel is situated on the edge of China town and there are some great restaurants nearby, we tried China noodle bar which offered a great lunch time deal.
There are a few good bars nearby including a Wetherspoons. We were here to watch Evita at the Hippodrome (great show btw), the theatre is a two mins walk away :))). We then went on to the Genting casino which is also two mins away.
The room was a little noisy from all the mayhem outside until dawn, however it was quite entertaining watching it all happen.
We didn't eat at the hotel, but overall would thoroughly recommend.
I hope my review was helpful.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin O

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review with us. I am very pleased that you found our team friendly and bedroom clean. I have shared your compliments with reception and housekeeping teams.
I am glad to see that you took advantage of our very central location.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed over on New Year's Eve and booked as last minute plan. Must admit was slightly sceptical but found it was Fantastic value for money , great spacious rooms and a brilliant location too . Perfect for a one night trip , will Definately use and recommend in the future.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am glad to hear that you spent New Year's Eve with us. We are wll very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated both value for money, room size and our central location.

We hope to welcoem you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This is my second time at this hotel. The location is perfect. Right next to the Bullring. You cannot be more central than this in Birmingham. Overall I enjoyed my stay here and will definitely come back here. Here's what made me choose this hotel over others:
1. Clean and spacious rooms
2. Good price
3. Location
Would I come back here? Of course I would.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank udalvr
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for your feedback which I was very pleased to share with hotel team. We are very happy that you enjoyed our location, cleanlines and found the hotel to be good value for money.

We already look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Me and some buds stayed here overnight on March 29th 2014 as we were visiting the Rezzed Gaming Convention at the NEC then hoping to hit some bars/clubs in the evening.

In terms of location this hotel was perfect. We just hopped off the train at Birmingham New Street and walked about 5 minutes to the hotel. My friend had booked us into a family room so that the 3 of us could share a room without the complications of alternating between rooms. At check in we were all present and checked in no problem, the staff were actually really friendly. However when we returned around 4am the next morning from our night out we were hit with a £25 charge saying we had broken policies? But this 'rule' wasn't explained to us. Not wanting to cause a fuss, due to it being late and we were all tired, we just coughed up the money and went to bed. I found these staff both rude and inappropriate, especially when they started making boasty remarks about girls they had been with, like they had something to be proud off.

Also breakfast in the morning was a bit of a sham. Promised a cooked breakfast, you can imagine the disappointment when we got a ham roll, some toast and apple juice. Needless to say it was a good hotel in regards to location, right near all the bars and there is a Weatherspoons around the corner which does £2.40 pints. However I felt we were ripped off a little bit and treated unfairly because of our age.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Jack,

I would like to thank you for your review. While I am pleased to see that you enjoyed friendly atmosphere during the day as well as the hotel location, I am very dissapointed with your review of the night team and the breakfast experience. Our cooked buffet breakfast is served constently from 6:30 am without exception. I am surprised and sorry to hear about your interaction with the night security or reception team. I would very much appreciate if you could contact me to discuss the issues further as I take your feedback with utmost seriousness.

h1459-gm@Accor.com