“Was great not so much now.”

Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street
Ranked #57 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Was great not so much now.”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here 3rd 4th may as a group of four. I say here twice a year as we travel over with my son for two villa games a year. Have always had no problem checking in for free early as I have a boy who's now only 5. I always email and let them know about early check in. This time I sent four emails and only on the fourth time I received a email saying I was now going to cost ten pound for early check in. Which I begrudgingly agreed to as I need to get d gear in d room makes the trip easier for us. When we arrived at the hotel I paid in cash and was pretty much told I need to pay a 50 pound deposit on top of the room cost and if I didn't I got the impression I cud go elsewhere. This 50 deposit was never mentioned in the little correspondence i recieved from yhe hotel. Eventually checked in only because one of our group did a pre authorised on credit card.  Room was clean they are small enuf but the location is amazing so it does the job. We later came home and decided to go for a drink in d hotel bar. Which was a bad mistake. Bar menu was ok about 6 items but the bar had half the stock on d menu. Very expensive compared to any other bar in town. And the bar staff seemed well under trained and the minerals from the dispenser behind the counter were so flat it shows how busy the bar must get. Even a simple capt morgan and coke was hard as I had to show where the bottle was. Overall I'm EXTREMELY disappointed with my trip this time and as a returning customer for a number of years twice yearly I will NEVER return to this establishment again after our journey AVOID AVOID AVOID.

• Stayed May 2014
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Dave,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am sorry that your last stay with us did not meet your expectations. Please, let me explain that the early check-in and late check-out charges have been implemented a few weeks ago in line with the practices applied by our competitive hotels. Fully refundable deposit is only taken with payment for the room by cash. I am glad to see that the pre-authorisation was more convenient alternative for you. A thorough search was done on reception e-mails and only one e-mail was located from you received on 27th April at 18:50 with reply sent by receptionist 20 minutes later at 19:10. I do apologise in case you sent e-mail previously which was not dealt with by our team. Lastly, I am sorry that our drinks selection did not meet your expectations. I have noted all your comments and would like to thank you again for sharing them with us.

Joanna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Quality living up to ibis standard, good clean, friendly staff and close to the central station which was reason for me to book this. Be aware that some of the rooms are facing an entertainment complex on one side of the building, so make sure not to get a room to that side.....unless you are a party goer yourself :-)

Room Tip: Get a room on the right side of the building, not facing entertainment complex
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am very pleased with your positive review of our team friendliness, hotel cleanliness and central location. I trust that your room was pre assigned as per your request and that the noise from the Arcadian centre did not disturb your stay.

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

The Ibis was very good value for money for a nights stay in central Birmingham with easy access to the Bullring and Arcadia for bars and restaurants and the Hippodrome. The check in and out times are 1200hrs which was a bonus.

The hotel car park is really useful, but a bit of a tight entrance which some people may struggle with (my fiancée gave up ;-))

The only problem we had was the noise. For some reason our room was really hot, and so we tried to have the window open, but the noise from outside was too loud for this. This left us getting a very poor nights sleep.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Joanna T, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and our location. At the same time, I would like to apologise for the difficulties you experienced due to the noise. We are working very closely with local bars and restaurants in order to reduce the negative impact of our central location. However, the proximity of nightlife of Birmingham brings sometimes noise issues which are out of our control.

Once more, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed here for one night while I was transiting in Birmingham. The rooms were clean and although it was a bit small it was ok. Shower is a bit tight but complete. Its close to the train station so it is very accessible. Has a lot of nice restaurants (including the Bullring) nearby. Despite earlier reviews that is quite noisy due to the nightlife, I didnt find this a problem during my stay. I actually had a really good sleep despite travelling for nearly 24 hours the day before. And at 40++ gbp a night, this is really good value for money

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Hazel,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I was very happy to share your positive comments both with housekeeping as well as reception teams. I am glad that you got yo enjoy the comfort of our Sweet Bed by Ibis during the quiet night.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

This is my second visit to the ibis, the location is central to most of the city only 5 mins from Bullring and located in the Chinese Quarter and close to the hippodrome.

The reception staff where very polite and rests of staff very friendly as well, the room was very clean not much room in the shower,

Breakfast was was ok, and a good selection to choose from,

Would recommend for a few nights stay over

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Michael,

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am very pleased to see that you are our returning guest. Both reception and breakfast teams were very happy with your positive review and we are also pleased that you find our location convenient.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Room was very nice, asked the receptionist for another pillow as used the extra pillow that was in the room ( it never showed up).Sleep was a bit poor due to night life outside , breakfast had no cons

Room Tip: Top Floor , Not facing Arcadian
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked the breakfast in the morning. I will share your comments in regards to the additional pillow requested. Please, let me apologise for the fact that it was not delivered to your room.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.