“Value for money”

Ranked #56 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ibis Hotels
JoannaGM, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Upon check in I was requested to verify the card I had already prepaid the room with. The pre authorisation payment of 1 penny would not go through and I was accused of using a lost or stolen card. They would not let us check in even though we had been travelling since 4.30am and the room had already been paid for. I had to ring my bank to verify it was my card and the payment was being refused as it was for a penny. The room is claustrophobic but clean. You couldn't swing a cat in the bathroom. We wouldnt s

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aoife O

Dear Aoife,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I am sorry that our policy in regards to pre paid rates caused you inconvenience. I would like to use this opportunity to explain that the main page of accorhotels.com wesite on which your reservation was made on 27th May, explains terms and conditions of prepaid rates. Upon selection of Advance Saver rate on which your booking was made, the Terms and Conditions tab states that: 'The credit card used for booking must be presented at reception upon the client's arrival.' Such policy is taken as precaution aiming at financial protection of methods of payments chosen by our guests. I understand that on this ocassion this caused you delay with check-in for what I would like to once more, apologise.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

On our arrival in the room we went to the bathroom and found the toilet seat covered in URINE STAINS. Upon discovering this I went down to reception and was greeted by a female receptionist who apparently spoke to housekeeping who told her the room was clean. The bathroom itself was clean unless you count a urine stained toilet seat. Of all the things to be unclean the toilet seat? Probably the most unhygienic part of the whole room. I spoke to a manager who basically just fobbed me off and eventually felt he should offer me a change of room. I advised we were settled into the room now and all we wanted was the room cleaned to an acceptable standard. The manager did nothing. After waiting an hour in our room after reporting this disgustingness we eventually took it upon ourselves to clean this ourselves as no one was obviously coming to do anything about this. Ten minutes later two of your housekeeping staff turned up to clean this mess and we explained we had already cleaned it (this was 1hr 10 mins since the original report of the problem despite the fact your brochure saying you would deal with any complaints or issues within 15 minutes they obviously chose not to honour this.). At no point did we receive an apology.

After going to see our show and enjoying a wonderful night we decided to order some food as there was no where open that late at night. We ordered two ham and cheese toasties with crisps and also two bowls of 3 scoops of ice cream - one bowl was chocolate, caramel and honeycomb and the other strawberry caramel and honeycomb. Upon ordering we were told despite us ordering as room service I would have to go down to reception to pay and collect when ready. About 10 minutes later we had a call from reception saying you had no strawberry ice cream. When your member of staff phoned to say you had no strawberry ice cream, we decided to have one bowl of three scoops being chocolate honeycomb and caramel and the other just honeycomb and caramel. So just to summarise two ham and cheese toasties and two bowls of ice cream one of three scoops Chocolate caramel and honeycomb and the other just caramel and honeycomb. Not exactly rocket science however the member of staff I spoke to was obviously not listening to me and took 5 goes to actually get the order right. When I went to get the ice cream I was told I had not been charged due to the mix up ordering. Maybe that was why, when the bowl with two scoops (caramel and honeycomb) arrived, the total amount of ice cream in the bowl was smaller than having one scoop. The member of staff apologised and said the ice cream had melted. Well maybe if you had put some ice cream in the bowl in the first place it would have done. We ate it because it was free of charge. If we had paid for this I can assure you I would have sent it back and demanded a proper serving. Onto the toasties ... they were flat cold. The toasties weren't very toasted,(in fact they looked more like bread than toast and the cheese was not even melted) to summarise they looked like they had been made about an hour previously and left around until ordered, Once again we ate them as we were hungry.

On Wednesday morning at about 09:20 hrs we went down to breakfast having paid for two all you can eat breakfasts. When I saw the bacon I nearly walked away as it looked like it had been there all morning, When I questioned one of your staff I was told it was fresh bacon, which was a load of rubbish. It looked manky and old and when I tried to pick some up it was flat cold. We obviously chose not to eat this bacon.

I would avoid this hotel like the plague. The response from the hotel is basically calling me a liar throughout. The standard of the hotel was very very poor and I would not recommend to anyone

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BenGomersall
JoannaGM, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Mr Gomersall,

Your comments have been taken very seriously and were investigated and actioned by Assistant General Manager. I understand that you were not entirely satisfied with response at hotel level and that your feedback has been addressed by Vice President Operations Ibis and Ibis Styles.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

If you plan to eat elsewhere then this hotel would be OK. The location is great, right on top of the arcadian centre. I made the mistake of ordering food and was served frozen chicken, luckily I noticed before I had eaten much of it. The staff offered nothing as an apology, not even "sorry". By all means stay here, but go across the road to the chop chop to eat.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank George S

Dear George,

Thank you for your review. I am really sorry to hear about the issue with your meal. It is a shame that you have not brought such a serious issue to my attention during your stay in December last year. Prompt feedback enables us to follow up on issues immediately. I will share your feedback with the current team. However, I am afraid that chef employed last year is no longer working for us.
If you would like to discuss further please feel free to contact me directly on h1459-gm@Accor.com.

Thank you for your review. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed 1 night on business. It is advertised as being close to New street station - expect a bit of a walk. The hotel itself is fine and the rooms are OK. Air quality in the room is not brilliant and did get very hot. Great location for restaurants, bars and shopping. i didn't have breakfast so cant comment. For a business stop-over it was fine.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
JoannaGM, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to see that you were pleased with your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Negatives-
Crazy hot with window closed, noisy with window open
Very busy at breakfast
Bed right in front of door as room so small
Only 24hrs free wifi per stay
Positives-
Good selection at breakfast
Comfy bed
Cheap
Good location (close to station and bullring shopping)
Helpful staff (called us taxi, gave directions etc)

Stayed: June 2014
JoannaGM, General Manager at Hotel ibis Birmingham Centre New Street, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed hotel location, breakfast offer and found the hotel to be of good value for money. I have also shared your positive review of the team with reception and breakfast departments. I am sorry to see that you experienced problems with noise during your stay. We have reception team available 24/7 as well as security team at night ready to assist our guests with any enquiries. I would also like to inform you that air cooling unit can be operated form the panel in each room. The free of charge internet access is available for 24 hours at a time but can be renewed daily during the stay.

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

It is just like another Ibis in any other country. Always have a clean bathroom , clean room , only enough space to move around and keep luggage.

The chair provided in room is not good to sit and work for long if you are spending the day in room to work. I asked the front desk if i can take one of the chairs from the restaurant and he refused. The table is too small , chair has no cushioning , too hard. Dont feel like sitting and working. And since Ibis is known for budget travelers some of the business travelers do travel on budget.
I like Ibis for their simple and clean standards but again would not stay here again if that is the quality of chair they provide.

Shower is too small. Cannot move around but again that is also standard at Ibis.

Food: I had breakfast for i guess GBP 8. it was Ok , just like english breakfast. Veggie sausages are available on order. Good option to have if you are vegetarian. Other than that i tried nothing. There are many options nearby in arcadian. Even i got breakfast at a place half the price Ibis is offering. Just look for wetherspoon bar. They give breakfast from 8 am.

it is close to new street station about 10 minute walk , bull ring and is in centre. always ask for Ibis China town.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to see that you found our hotel well located, clean and functional. I have shared your review with reception team and I am sorry that on this occassion receptionist did not allow you to use restaurant chair. I am sure that if the member of the team in question realised that this would put you off from staying at Ibis again, alternative chair would have been provided to you. Shall you decide to stay with us again and experience the same problem, please do not hesitate to contact me directlty.