“Not impressed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
AudlemTraveller
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Ok it was cheap - just over £28 for a night in the 40% off sale but I have stayed in a number of hotels in Birmingham and this has to have been the worst. I arrived at 7.50pm and had to wait over 10 minutes to check in. I was given room 213 (a non smoking room) but for the first time ever had to return to reception and asked to be moved as It was noisy, the carpet none too clean and it absolutely stunk of stale smoke. I was moved straight away to room 224 which didn't smell, was quieter - apart from noisy other guests nearby and the carpet was a bit cleaner! I know you pay for what you get but even so there does seem to be a lack of care - the phone in the room didn't work, the air conditioning stopped working, the shower went from cool to scalding and the drain in the sink was very slow to clear.
I don't want to sound a moaner but I will pay more in future and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank AudlemTraveller
PLatka, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at our hotel. I was very sorry that we are not up to your expectations. We've started taking some actions to avoid the reported issues regarding smoking, together with our current re-branding process, we expect to provide you improved experience in the near future. I do apologise for any disappointment caused.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Salford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one Saturday night. Room is nicely presented, but starting to look slightly shabby. Carpets and surfaces need more care in cleaning. The bed was comfortable, but needed to use the extra pillows as they were rather flat. Plenty of room with loads of space under the bed for storage of bags though, and seating and desk areas were well proportioned. Also a hairdryer was available in the room, and there is a dedicated area in the hotel if you need to iron your clothes before you go out.

Bathroom was clean, but care needs to be taken in cleaning the air vents as they were filthy and almost fully clogged up with dust.

Breakfast looked ok, and for £5.00 seems reasonable, but £2.10 for a vending machine white coffee is a total rip off. Has a 24 hour bar but didn't use it.

Location is next to a busy roundabout but noise wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. The location is not the best if you want to get into town, as you will need to use taxis unless you want to use the bus which is about 5 minutes walk away.

The staff on over Saturday never collected any of the cups left outside over the course of my stay, and the ashtray outside on the wall were full, so people were stubbing out on the floor because they couldn't be used. The downstairs gents toilet was a disgrace, and I used the disabled toilet so I didn't have to wade through the water and urine flooding the floor.

However, the shower in my room (203) was lethal. On both occasions I used it I was almost scalded by the random temperature change. And by the looks of previous reviews this is not the first incident. If a child was using this shower there could have been a very serious injury. I only stopped being scalded by literally jumping out of the shower. I reported this and have made an accident report out, and await to hear from the Manager. I believe that this is a serious Health and Safety issue, and have also reported this to the Head Office.

And allegedly there are no maintenance staff on Sunday, which in my opinion is probable the most important and best day to use after a full evening of customers, and before your business customers start to arrive.

The only saving grace is that we had a complimentary taxi to and from town, which saved a few quid.

Overall, the cleaning and maintenance needs to be better managed, and the staff seemingly need to take more pride in the hotel, which inevitably has to come from the management. I regret that I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PLatka, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
I do appreciate your advice following your recent stay at our hotel. I felt very sorry for your unsatisfactory experience especially the shower issue you mentioned which has been addressed to our maintenance team and specialists. I believe a member of our team has recorded this incident immediately and confirmed your OK status with you requiring no further help. My apologies again!

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

This hotels' location is only any good if you are in a car. There is nothing nearby. The local train station is only open on match days. Cost of taxi rides to the city can offset any savings.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PLatka, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by our location, although it is well-located and conveniently access to both city centre and the airport. A less than 2-minute walk bus stop just nearby which offers services to city centre cost £1.70 (£3.80 for unlimited day travel). I think your dissatisfaction probably because of insufficient information given, I do apologise for it and would like to remind you that our dedicated team are always here to help you! Thank you for your feedback!
Romsey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel for a friday and saturday night stay for 68 pounds was unsure what i would get. The welcome was warm and friendly and the hotel clean. The room is basic but clean and had everything you could need for your stay. The bathroom was pre fabricated plastic and lovingly called a pod by my hubby but again was clean. Shower was very temperamental switching from very hot to cold. For £7.50 per person you could have an all you can eat hot or cold breakfast or you could eat at tbe mcdonalds next door. My one complaint would be that the food was not very hot. Town was 10 minutes away by car and cost between 5 and 8 pounds by taxi depending on time of day. The hotel menu was quite extensive and not badly priced but beware if you like soda with your drink you will be charged fir a bottle of sparkling water. Overall enjoyed our stay and would go back.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PLatka, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I am so grateful to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. At the same time we have taken your complaint and comment into consideration. Thanks for your feedback once again We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.