“Good value, good location, good staff”

Ibis Birmingham Bordesley
Ranked #66 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 14 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Alex M
Marc L, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have stayed a few times beforehand, as it is close to a nearby meeting venue, so the location is convenient.

So far, there has always been a lot of noise and the staff hasn't always been polite. As to other guests: last time there was a mob of youths who got arrested for drug dealing and some guests got kicked out of the hotel at 2am... and were starting a fight. Not pleasant for other guests and no sign of an apology or even acknowledgement by the staff.

So, it was in walking distance of my meeting and the room rates are reasonable. Until they started charging me twice. The first time this happened, I paid at check in, as usual. Then a few days later I noticed a second charge on the same credit card by the hotel. When I called, they tried telling me it must be for extras like dinner or room service - for exactly the same amount as the booking. The staff was fairly rude and asked me to proof that I even got charged. It took several phone calls and emails until they finally refunded me the charge.

Well, I wasn't happy at all, but mistakes can happen, right?

A few weeks ago I made several bookings for future stays over the next coming months. All of the bookings are as per the terms & conditions to be paid on arrival and can still be cancelled until then. All good, or so I thought. Until a few weeks after I made the bookings I suddenly noticed a few charges by this hotel for a few hundred pounds.

I called my credit card company to dispute the charges and I also called the hotel. Again, I had to explain to them that they should NOT be charging my card at all at that time. I provide my credit card details to secure the booking, so in case of a no show they have the right to charge for the first night unless it gets cancelled on time. They don't have the right to just randomly decide to take money from me - weeks after I made a booking and weeks before my next scheduled stay!

The person at the hotel again was not apologetic and even said that the staff often doesn't know if they should make a charge - reading the terms & conditions of a booking would answer that question!!

After many phone calls and emails I finally got a refund. I also send an email to the head office to complain. Surprisingly, they don't seem interested about this ILLEGAL behaviour of their hotel.

Until today I am still waiting for an apology for having been charged hundreds of pounds in total which was unjustified.

This hotel can NOT BE TRUSTED with credit card details. They will randomly decide to make charges. If you have ever given them your card details, make sure you check your statements carefully!

There are enough hotels in the area that are just a short taxi journey away, so there is no reason to stay here - unless you like a combination of bad customer service, noise, drugs, police and losing out on money!

All of my future bookings have now been cancelled and I will avoid them in future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter.
Please feel free to contact me on 0121 506 2600 to discuss this further.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We haven't stayed at an IBIS budget hotel for a long time so we were well impressed when we stayed 4 nights at this hotel. It was easy to find and had plenty of parking. Although situated on a busy corner and with a railway line running nearby, the glazing was excellent and we didn't hear a sound of the traffic.

We arrived at 02.30am, but even at that time, we had a warm welcome from the young man on the reception desk, and received helpful directions and information and a very quick and efficient check in.

The room was a reasonable size, with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was a small "unit" but with toiletries provided. We had enough space in there for two peoples toiletries etc. so although it was compact, it was big enough for what we needed. Plenty of hot water and a good pressure on the shower, always a bonus. No hairdryer, but I gather you can get one from reception if needed. TV and tea and coffee making was also provided. There was a desk and chair and free wifi, very good lighting, so was handy for those who need an internet connection and for working.

The hotel has an reasonable sized restaurant, with 2 very large TVs. Breakfast was a good selection: cooked and continental, fruit, 3 types of juices, tea, coffee, and all sorts of breads and patisseries. The daytime/evening menu has a good selection and the food came up piping hot, good portions and very nicely presented. Staff were very helpful and most friendly.

The hotel is situated about 8 miles from the airport and the NEC event centre, so took about 20 minutes in the early morning rush hour. Not too bad if you are taking a taxi, even better if you are driving yourself! For the centre of town it was well placed, not very far to go at all to get to the shopping centres, attractions etc. There is a McDonalds right next door if you only want a quick bite to eat.

We will certainly stay here again if we are in the area, we had great service, and found the position perfect for both the city centre and further afield.

Room Tip: Since the rooms are glazed so well, there is very little noise even if your room is at the front of...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bigardafan
Marc L, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves in Ibis Birmingham Bordesley. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed one night and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel. The room was larger than I expected and had a spacious 'pod'-like en suite. The door of the ensuite did not latch (slightly too big for doorframe) but I was staying alone so this was not a problem. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were lovely and thick. Everywhere was very clean. The location of the hotel was ideal, being only a £5 taxi ride from New Street Station whilst being in a seemingly quiet area. Handily it has a McDonalds right next door. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rebecca R

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Typical Ibis. Decent bed, decent room, decent price. Nothing too fancy here but overall fantastic value.
Major bonus with the hotel is on site parking and the security that came with it.
Fantastic service throughout the stay.
A little out of town but served the purpose for our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Des J

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed over night here on a short visit to Birmingham. The hotel is located just off Bordesley Circus, near the roundabout and not far from Birmingham City's ground. It's a straight run down the Coventry road either by bus or car from the airport to the Hotel. By bus it's 45mins, the car journey depends on traffic but the return journey Sunday morning only took 20mins.
The bus from the airport stops across the road and crossing over the the hotel is not easy as there is no pedestrian walkway or lights. The hotel is basic with a small reception, bar and dining area. These areas are clean and the staff on the reception were very friendly and very helpful. I had a room at the back of the hotel and on the first floor which was simple, clean and of a reasonable size for a budget hotel. The shower room was also small but again very clean. I had no problem sleeping although you could hear some noise in the corridor as the other guests left or arrived home. The location is quite central as you can walk to the Bull Ring in less than 30mins or take a 10min bus journey. For any football fans it's beside Birmingham City's ground and 15mins by car from Villa Park. The hotel offers a breakfast buffet selection which like the hotel is fine, you can book it on line for £6 or pay £7.50 when there. All said, I had a comfortable stay in a well located hotel for a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 1st or 2nd floor near the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 August 2013