“A perfect evening” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #322 of 2,187 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$46 - US$63
Cuisines: British
Good for: View, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A perfect evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We dined with friends on Easter Saturday evening to celebrate a special birthday. Great atmosphere on board, beautifully laid out and the menu choice was very good. I had the goats cheese tart, herbed cod and chocolate mousse. My husband had salmon roulade, lamb and the mousse. Our friends will be sharing their review and menu choices too. The sorbet was lovely and the cheese and biscuits with coffee to finish perfect. At first we thought 5 courses is a lot of food but the portions were just right, the food beautifully cooked and the wine good. The service was great and and there was a smile with each course. It was a lovely way to spend an evening and we all enjoyed it very much.

For a special occasion its a unique experience and we would definitely do it again.

1 Thank Kaz P

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average Experience!! Could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was given a gift from a friend for a Sunday lunch cruise. I was really looking forward to the cruise as I had previously read many great reviews about the experience. I did enjoy the experience and it was satisfactory however it could have been better. The boat was very clean and presentation was lovely. Seating was very cramped and it was not very comfortable to sit on the boat for 3 hours. Did not have much leg room. It was very difficult for the group of people behind me to get into and sit at their table and I had to keep standing up to let them in our out of their table. Both me and my husband were really glad the boat stopped 2 hours into the cruise for a 5 minute break so that we could get out to stretch our legs!! It was much needed!! Weather was lovely so I enjoyed the cruise however my husband found quite stuffy later on.

I was really looking forward to the meal however I was slightly disappointed. I ordered a salmon roulade with a cucumber pickle for my starter. It was very lovely and I enjoyed it but it was a very small portion. I saw and ate the salmon but I didn't see any cucumber pickle on the plate!! For the main course both me and my husband ordered a herb crusted cod dish. It was very bland and tasteless. The cod was beautifully cooked however it was tasteless. It was served with mash potato and roast potatoes too!! This was slightly heavy to eat! We were also given a very small plate of vegetables to share between 2 people. The main dish could have been better. The desert menu did not appeal to me at all as I do not like berries, apple pie, rhubarb or pineapples!! I reluctantly ordered a chocolate mousse with berries. beautifully presented but I was not so keen on the berries in the mousse. My husband had ordered the apple pie with custard. It was a very generous portion size which my husband could not finish as he was quite full from all the potatoes he had eaten from his main course!!!! I think the desert menu could be improved and maybe a choice should be available for people who do not like fruit in deserts!

The waitress who was serving us was very miserable. She looked very bored and seemed as though she did not want to be there in the first place. As a waitress she should have a smile and make guests feel welcome rather than being stood around looking bored and unhappy.

As for the canal cruise it was lovely however a lot of graffiti to see along the 3 hour journey.

Overall it was an average experience. I did have a good time with my husband but the food could have been better!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Yas A
Didcot, United Kingdom
“Elegant dining on the historic canal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I booked a three hour Sunday lunch cruise for our anniversary. The service was excellent, the food fabulous - I don't know how chef managed it in what must be a tiny kitchen! I loved every minute of this experience, it really must be tried. The three hours just flew by accompanied with some good wine and constantly changing views from the window. A map with notes on what you could expect to see made it more interesting for me, as a visitor to Birmingham. I really would recommend Away2Dine for anyone looking for an extra special meal out (without a massive price tag too - very reasonable prices) or anyone who likes boats or canals or just wants to try something really different!

2 Thank Natalie A
“The way 2 dine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Booked meal as a surprise. Food was absolutely fantastic, nice choice of wine. The whole experience totally surpassed my expectations, would highly recommend.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Brian S
Hinckley, United Kingdom
“Wonderful way to spend three hours :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Amazing and brilliant way to spend Mothers Day, friendly and professional staff, delicious well cooked food and great value for money.

• Visited March 2014