“You simply must visit!”

Anderson's Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Anderson's Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 2,198 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Description: Situated on St Paul���s Church square, Anderson���s Bar and Grill is found in the interesting surroundings of former 18th century cellars. However this restaurant is as far from a dingy basement bar as it is possible to be ��� lush, sophisticated d��cor brings light and space to the brick arched room, changing displays of art is displayed on the walls and there���s a definite buzz to the atmosphere. With a dedication to providing great value food in a relaxed setting along with top quality service, Anderson���s Bar and Grill is already making its mark on the local dining scene. The food, sourced locally is ��� of course ��� hearty grill fayre but presented with a touch of class so even old favourites such as Barnsley chop or grilled plaice are actually rather special.
Melton Mowbray, England, United Kingdom
“You simply must visit!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed in Birminham recently with my partner, and based on the good reviews and our love of steak we simply had to give this place a go! We decided to share the 35oz Porterhouse steak, which was quite possibly the nicest piece of meat I have ever eaten. Not only this the vegetables were perfectly cooked and flavoured aswell. The freshly cooked bread and garlic confit were also brilliant. I've eaten all around the world, and only New Zealand has come close to providing a steak like this. If your a meat lover then this restaurant simply is a must!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Elizabeth G

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great steak, great wine, great host.”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Have been here twice, for friends' birthday parties. Have to say the steak both times were great. The only thing I would advise is to go in smaller groups rather than big groups. My steak was great but, some of my friends' were too well done.

Would definitely go again.

1 Thank S Y
BIRMINGHAM
“OMG!!!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This was the 1st time me and my boyfriend have eaten here and it wont be the last !!! The service was excellent, staff made us feel at home and the food was delicious. I loved the decor of the place. We ordered for starters of belly pork and also chicken liver brullee both were very tasty. The belly pork was melt in the mouth and the crackling was perfect. We both ordered rib eye steaks medium rare and they were cooked to perfection, no need for any sauces the steak was juicy and delicious, You just try thier crushed new potatoes absolutely gorgeous!! We loved it so much we have booked to come back at the end of the month. Definately worth a visit and definately worth 5 stars !!!!

1 Thank SPIRI2013
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Really disappointed!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We came here as we had read some great reviews. On arrival the place is nice, dark but I like that as its suits the atmosphere, and we were greeted by a guy behind the bar who was very nice.

When starters arrived, both me and my partner were disappointed. My partner had the salmon bourgignon which we both agreed didn’t really work. A piece of salmon with a meaty bourgignon sauce.
I had the scallops which was a special. Again it was nothing special and just tasted like cream and scollops, which were overcooked and chewy. I also found a piece of plastic or shell in the dish which crunched in my teeth and wasn’t pleasant at all. When the waitress came over to take away the plates I asked her to see if the chefs could find out what it was, obviously if its a piece of shell I could understand how that could happen but I’m not sure it was. Anyway, no reply on that at all as nobody came back over to speak to me about it.

When the mains arrived we both thought the steaks looked good. On second glance I realised my steak had a bone on it which wasn’t stated on the menu and I would not have ordered it if I knew it had. Are we expected to know this? My partners steak was lovely but mine was overcooked and again chewy. The chips were still a bit hard. When the waitress checked back with us on our main course I did tell her that it was overcooked and she offered a new one but my partner was half way through his meal and I didn’t want to have to eat without him so I declined. I would expect though that a place known as a steakhouse would be able to cook their steak correctly, in the time that we ate there were two other couples who had problems with their steak.

Desserts were beautiful, I had the soufflé and it looked lovely when it came out and the taste delivered too!

Overall, I was really apprehensive to pay for a bill that came to £130 for two starters that were really disappointing (one of which had an ingredient that was not wanted) and steak that was overcooked and fatty.

I also think the staff need more training, service was ok but not to the level you expect when paying those prices.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Kristinahurst
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“WORST EATING EXPERIENCE IN LIVING MEMORY!!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Never eaten at Andersons before, but it did come recommended for a 'great steak'! Our usual haunts are Asha's, Simpsons and Purnells. We are Birmingham residents and have lived here all of our lives.
It was a booking for 4 to celebrate my 45th Birthday. Two hungry steak lovers, one ex-veggie, one veggie!
On entry, I thought the smell was nice, but it was a little dark and dingy. After a couple of minutes we were greeted by Tony Cox, Duty Manager. Nice enough chap!
Drinks first, service average, then on to table. Uncomfortable chairs that you have to keep shuffling around on to maintain blood-flow to the legs! Small tables!
Not her fault,but couldn't understand a word that the first waitress said to us! Too fast, odd accent, no idea where from!
Orders were taken and a quick visit to the loo revealed a surprisingly ill-kept, rising damp infested, flaky plastered gents that would have more suited an 80's railway platform!
Starters arrived promptly, mine was Pork Belly with chilli jam etc. VERY disappointing, not warm, dripping in soft fat, no seasoning, skin NOT crispy, jam available from Tesco's! Guest 2 agreed as he had same. Girls both had deep fried Camenbert and both reckoned it hadn't seen the hot oil...
On to main courses, table so small that a 30oz Porterhouse had to be strategically positioned. Good cut of meat and tasty, that's about the only good point. Chips appeared to have been blanched, but the second fry hand't happened, colourless and floppy!
Mushroom Risotto WELL over-garliced to the point of leaving it on the plate!
Chicken dish insipid!
On to the sweets. Two of us abstained as had enough! Poor choice of options.
Eton mess was exactly that!
Chocolate fudge sundae arrived with no fudge and missing caramel sauce.
HOW CAN YOU GET ICE CREAM WRONG?
Awful meal, commented to waitress who just said, 'tho is my last shift, I'm off to London'!
DONT BLAME HER, NEVER, EVER AGAIN!

3 Thank Chorlton611