“A very nice birthday meal”

Anderson's Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Anderson's Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 2,249 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Description: Situated on St Paul���s Church square, Anderson���s Bar and Grill is found in the interesting surroundings of former 18th century cellars. However this restaurant is as far from a dingy basement bar as it is possible to be ��� lush, sophisticated d��cor brings light and space to the brick arched room, changing displays of art is displayed on the walls and there���s a definite buzz to the atmosphere. With a dedication to providing great value food in a relaxed setting along with top quality service, Anderson���s Bar and Grill is already making its mark on the local dining scene. The food, sourced locally is ��� of course ��� hearty grill fayre but presented with a touch of class so even old favourites such as Barnsley chop or grilled plaice are actually rather special.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A very nice birthday meal”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I ate here last night with my husband and 2 sons. It was actually busier than I thought it would be on a Tuesday night which was a nice surprise and added to the ambience. We were welcomed warmly by a waitress and shown to our table. Drinks orders were taken promptly. We decided not to have starters but instead had the bread which is served with a whole baked sumptuous sweet bulb of garlic - yum and some olives. The mains all went down well, my eldest son and I had the back to front dish which includes a small portion of braised ox cheek which was succulent - the star of the meal though was the rump steak which melted in the mouth. The sauce béarnaise was very nice too. My husband and youngest son both enjoyed their meals too, T-bone steak and mixed grill respectively. We also had the special potato side of crushed new potato with cream and rosemary which was delicious and the side veg was a mix of courgette, peas and green beans. We were all too full so did not have dessert but instead finished the meal with coffee. Service was attentive throughout and the restaurant has a nice ambience. Oh and it was no problem when I asked for a doggy bag for the bone and the leftover meat for my dog.

• Visited June 2014

Stamford, United Kingdom
“Good restaurant - shame about starter!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Have eaten here a few times now and have always recommended to anyone who asks for a good restaurant in Birmingham. My family were visiting so booked for a Saturday night. Atmosphere great, steak is the best I have had in Birmingham (porterhouse and back to front amazing!!) however felt really let down by the starter portion- a couple in our group had muscles- plenty of them and v tasty however another couple ordered the crab tortellini and scallops special- each consisted of only 2 pieces and not much else- for the price I expected a lot more! Will be back but choose wisely

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Impressive...most impressive”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

You have to be wary of somewhere to purports to have the best steak in the city. Well, it turns out that you DON'T have to be wary. The steaks, I would say are no better than you would buy from the supermarket or butcher but they are cooked expertly, exactly how you want them, seasoned how you want them and it seems that it doesn't matter what cut you choose the expertise is carried over.

There is plenty of room to sit/stand/wait and have a few drinks whilst your table is prepared (we were early, it wasn't their fault) and the beer is priced as you would expect for a Birmingham restaurant (that's right, outrageously! :) ). Surprisingly,despite how fantastic the steaks were, one of the things that got the most praise was the bowl of mashed potato - if you want REALLY good mashed potato, they know what they're doing. And steak, obviously.

I'd definitely return given the opportunity.

• Visited July 2013
“Good meal but avoid the sirloin !”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My boyfriend brought me here as he had heard good reviews so we thought we'd give it a go. The restaurant had a really good atmosphere and the staff were all really friendly and nice. Both of our starters were really good and they were good sized portions with plenty of flavour. We shared a bottle of the house red which tasted good for the price.

We both order the sirloin for our mains and with that you each got a potato dish. I ordered chips and my partner ordered potatoes of the day and I have to say they were both incredible. The chips were chunky and crisp and there were loads of them. We also shared some vegetables and these were also very good and some onion rings which were the best onion rings I have ever had. I would say we ordered way to much food and the waiter should of told us how big the sides were. The only thing that let this meal down was our steaks. I was expecting a really good sirloin that should be full of flavour, however it came very thin and flat and didn't taste good at all. It really wasn't very good. The plus side was that we had lots of other very good food so we filled up on that.

It hasn't put me off returning as next time we will order a different steak as other peoples looked very good and I would still recommend this restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
“Best steak ever”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

The food is to die for. I had the pork belly starter and the shared porterhouse that was the best tasting steak I've ever had. Maybe slightly pricey but well worth the expense and visit, just book early as it's always full up