“Average”

Ranked #55 of 2,379 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Description: Situated on St Paul���s Church square, Anderson���s Bar and Grill is found in the interesting surroundings of former 18th century cellars. However this restaurant is as far from a dingy basement bar as it is possible to be ��� lush, sophisticated d��cor brings light and space to the brick arched room, changing displays of art is displayed on the walls and there���s a definite buzz to the atmosphere. With a dedication to providing great value food in a relaxed setting along with top quality service, Anderson���s Bar and Grill is already making its mark on the local dining scene. The food, sourced locally is ��� of course ��� hearty grill fayre but presented with a touch of class so even old favourites such as Barnsley chop or grilled plaice are actually rather special.
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Not eaten here for some time and was distinctly underwhelmed. Sticky tables (pet hate) and if you don't fancy steak a really uninspiring menu choice. Food was okay, nothing special - felt like I could have made it at home and for these prices that was disappointing. Service was pretty good to be honest but it didn't feel as special as it used to a couple of years ago. Shame, because it used to be lovely.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,014)

Andersons Bar & Grill

We visited this restaurant for the second time on July 1st for my Wife's birthday. The restaurant is approached from a door at the side of the building which directly leads to a staircase going down.

The restaurant is below ground so no external light or windows of course. This may be a problem for some people. It appears that this used to be the buildings vaults now very nicely converted to a restaurant.

At 7pm (Tuesday) the place was quite quiet. I did note that as we opened the door from the stairs into the restaurant there was no one to greet us. We were encouraged to go to the bar to explain we had booked a table.

We were shown to our table which was in the corridor from the front door to the kitchen of the restaurant despite the fact that there were plenty of "cosier" tables away from the corridor available, in addition our table was directly opposite the gents toilet door! When anyone passed behind my chair into the "cosier" area of the restaurant my chair wobbled due to a very uneven floor.

However, we were greeted and seated and everything from there on went very well. We were advised of the specials that were available and we both chose Scallops with Black Pudding which we both enjoyed immensely.

For the main course my Wife had the Hereford Sirloin and I had the Surf and Turf. My wife enjoyed her steak very much indeed. I don't normally eat red meat but chose to try the smaller portion on the Surf & Turf. It was delicious and considering this was the first red meat I had eaten for years I really enjoyed it. The "Surf" on my dish was Monkfish wrapped in Pancetta. This was lovely although I would have liked a little more of it. It was quite a small portion. The single Prawn wasn't to my liking, far too much Garlic. The chips however were to die for.

We didn't have a sweet although very tempting. Overall bill was £66 for two which we were happy with.

Could it have been any better? Yes, a nicer table, little things like I told them it was my Wife's birthday but they chose to ignore this, and I think they should consider the food portions. Perhaps when receiving a booking where it's a celebratory meal they should consider a "cosier" table. The table opposite ours in an alcove were also celebrating a birthday. They had balloons on the table and the staff greeted them with "happy birthday". Wonder what we did wrong?

Go back, we may do.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I went here for my birthday and I can honestly say that it was the best steak I have ever had.
The establishment is very nice and the service was perfect.
For starters I had the duck breastfeeding and my wife had the pork belly, both were top notch.
As a main we had the 30oz sharing steak, it was juicy, perfectly cooked and really flavoursome.
Andersons comes highly recommended in my book.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife booked us a table at Anderson's for my birthday. I can't have any food with alcohol in and she stated this when she booked the table. When we arrived and were shown to our table by a pleasant waitress, we were pleased to find a compliment slip attached to the menu stating all the dishes that contained alcohol and many of these could be served without it if we wanted.

To start, my wife had the tomato soup which was very tasty and I had the crab and salmon tortellini in a bouillabaisse sauce. After eating in many French restaurants and many Michelin star restaurants, I thought this was the tastiest bouillabaisse sauce I have ever come across.

To follow, I had the rib eye steak with the garlic sauce and my wife had the sirloin steak with peppercorn sauce. Both were extremely tasty and considering I regularly have steak when dining out, these were probably some of the nicest steaks we have ever eaten and they were cooked to perfection.

When the waitress brought us the dessert menu, she again pointed out which ones contained alcohol. We decided to have the chocolate fudge sundae to share between us as we couldn't manage one each. It was lovely.

Overall, this was a delicious meal out in good surroundings with fantastic service from start to finish. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and will definitely be returning.

1  Thank JONATHAN H
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I took my husband here for his birthday meal and we couldn't have found a better place. As soon as we entered we could feel the lovely atmosphere and the staff were very friendly. Our restaurant table was in a private nook, which was perfect for us as we are a romantic couple and love each other's company. All the food was wonderful and we shared the porterhouse steak on the bone for main which was absolutely gorgeous and cooked perfectly (medium rare) and was very tender. The staff booked a taxi for us and while we were waiting for it to arrive we were told some history of the establishment. We would not hesitate to come back here again.

1  Thank Melanie A