“Great Hotel (disappointing breakfast experience)”
Review of Westmead Hotel

Westmead Hotel
Ranked #45 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed here for one night when attending a venue near by. The check in was friendly and very helpful a big thank you to the lovely girl who eventually managed to get us a 6 seater taxi. Our room was really nice and spacious a huge bed that was extremely comfy, large bathroom, lovely fluffy white towels, great power shower and all the usual toiletries you need. Everything was spotlessly clean.
Breakfast was a little disappointing to say the least we helped ourself to fruit almost still frozen we ordered coffe which was luke warm. We waited 25mins for porridge, my husband ordered boiled egg and soldiers which we thought was a lovely touch 2 boiled eggs arrived (hard bolied) the soldiers never arrived I was not offered a cooked breakfast I took that to be because I had ordered porridge which I must say was very nice extra toast or more coffee was not offered all in all not a very nice experience at all so sorry to say this but feel you need to know. I will add other diners did seem to be having very attentive service which does make your stay away from home special unfortunatly we did not receive this sort of service which did spoil our stay with you. I have rated service as averge mainly because of the dining experience

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed here after attending a wedding in the area. The welcome is friendly and efficient, with a well laid out reception area. Our room was lovely, spacious, great bed, and a large bathroom with a great shower. Because some of the hotel rooms are near to a busy main road, the curtains are double lined, so there is hardly any traffic noise. We had a good night's sleep.
Breakfast was available till 10 o'clock, as it was Sunday, with an attractive selection, I'm not sure if it was because our waitress was new, or it was nearly 10 o'clock, but my request for either eggs Benedict or a muffin breakfast met with, 'not available', and 'that will take half an hour', so, I settled for three items of the full breakfast, which, I have to say, was tasty, with great eggs, free range I would think.
There was no pressure to depart, we enjoyed a pot of coffee in the lounge after booking out, and the receptionist was friendly and helpful when I asked directions to the nearest large supermarket.
First time we have stayed here, but have enjoyed several meals over the years, really would recommend the 'Westmead' for a family event.

Room Tip: Any room is well appointed, and no worries if you overlook the reception area, no noise at all!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Stayed here for a week whilst on a course. The accommodation and service was good, nice big room and bathroom which were clean. Good price because it is out of town. Staff all very nice and helpful.

Wifi was touch and go in the room, at the far end of the hotel, was speedy when it worked though. Also annoying to have to get a new username and password each day.

Breakfast in the room was ok but a lack of attention to detail meant missing cutlery and slightly over done toast. However, couldn't fault the breakfast in the restaurant and no problem getting the bar opened out of hours. The food is expensive (although at the level you would expect at a hotel). You would be better off going to the Hopwood Pub just down the road by the canal for food.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My sister got married here on the 2nd June and we had the most amazing day. The staff here are so helpful and nothing is too much trouble. We stayed in the hotel the night before in the Westmead Suite which was a family room. The room was beautiful with a massive bed and a sofa bed, there were certainly no complaints from the family and we all had a great nights sleep. We did eat at the hotel on the Friday night and the food was superb and very good value for money. The breakfast on the Sunday morning was also very good. I was a little surprised that it was not self service like most hotels. The guy that was serving the breakfast that morning was brilliant and certainly made sure we had plenty of food, he was a wonderful character and really made us smile. I would highly recommend this hotel as a wedding venue. The only downside that we found was that the drinks are expensive but this did spoil our fun.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I stopped here on off chance, and I wasn't expecting the world. But too my surprise the reception was warming and the bed was more than ample. I planned on going out for dinner but was persuaded to try the al la carte menu in the restaurant. When I came down to dinner I was greeted by a very loquacious man, who went out of his way to make me informed of my choices of dining. Onced I placed my order, my waiter that I later found out to be one of the managers suggested a wine for me, and found it one of the most finest wines for a reasonable prices. The food was fantastic, with great service..

In short it's a must visit, good food, great service and jamie is a great asset to the hotel. X

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Dane T
Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for a family wedding in May and what a great find.

From check in to check out the staff were magnificent and could not do anymore to make the stay better.

My wife even left her dress in the room and when I came to collect it a week later the team had kept it safe and handed it back on a hanger.

All in all a hotel I would reccomend to anyone and I wish Ben and the team all the best.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank MCHands
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We had our wedding here on 28th April this year. I can't thank the staff enough for their outstanding service. Throughout the whole process, from the day we booked we never came across a staff member who was anything less than brilliant. The staff all seem happy in their work and this really reflects on the experience. Sam helped us to plan our wedding and was very friendly and professional throughout. Every visit we made to the hotel to meet with Sam or to sample our wedding meal we found everyone so lovely, it put me at total ease about having one of the biggest days of our lives there. All of my family and friends commented on the hotel, the staff and the food. Nothing was too much trouble and the day flowed beautifully. Working in a service industry myself I am very aware that people are very quick to make complaints but are less enthusiastic when it comes to paying compliments. From start to finish everyone at the Westmead did everything they could and more to ensure we had a truely special day and I don't think this review even comes close to showing just how much we appreciate everything that they all did. From the housekeeping staff to the owner, everyone was lovely. Anyone looking to book their wedding or wedding reception then I can assure you, The Westmead would not let you down.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Claire H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan
Ladywood
Nitenite Birmingham
Nitenite Birmingham
#72 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Westmead Hotel? Share your experiences!