“Good location reasonable value”
Review of Westmead Hotel

Westmead Hotel
Ranked #45 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good location reasonable value”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I have been visiting the Westmead for a couple of years as a business destination. The rooms are reasonably well appointed for the money (corporate rate seems to be about £60), large comfortable beds good bathrooms, but the rooms at the back suffer from early morning delivery traffic noise. The public and bed rooms are pooly ventilated, standard bedrooms lack air con and although it exists in the dining room it never seems to be turned on. All the staff are friendly and many new were apparent this time. The bar menu is quite good, breakfast good, beer ok but the a la carte in the evening is in my opinion expensive, potatoes and vegetables add £5.00 to meals already priced at £14+, it was certainly beyond my works budget for two courses. Plenty of parking though and a pub a few hundred yards away. In common with other reviewers I struggled with the WIFI suffering password problems and poor signal, nothing in my room (44), disappointing these days when it is a free feature.

Room Tip: Try for the front to avoid delivery traffic noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The Westmead is a nice hotel, well maintained. I struggled to get wifi signal on my iPhone but perhaps that was the specific room. It was fine on my laptop. The price was reasonable, the room I booked was a double and pretty spacious, flat screen tv, nice shower and complimentary shower gel etc. Plenty of parking and not too far for the city centre. Close to motorway network. I stay there as its a quieter location

• Stayed August 2012
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

I stayed here while on a trip with work and can honestly say I was very impressed with the hotel, the check in staff were very friendly and helpful and the rooms were amazing (especially with the king size bed) the breakfast was superb and had a massive selection.....My only complaint about this hotel was the fire alarm going off at 2.30 a.m. and we all had to get out and were told it's a problem with the alarm when the corridors get too hot (only for another guest to say the exact same thing happened the week before) and them to be offered a complimentary coffee (ok I'm being a little petty but I didn't see how a coffee would help when I needed sleep as I had to be up at 6 a.m.) BUT.... Aside from that This hotel was EXCELLENT and for the sake of what was an unfortunate event with the fire alarm (which needs to be addressed) I WOULD definately stay here again and recommend it !!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Dezza88
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed here for one night when attending a venue near by. The check in was friendly and very helpful a big thank you to the lovely girl who eventually managed to get us a 6 seater taxi. Our room was really nice and spacious a huge bed that was extremely comfy, large bathroom, lovely fluffy white towels, great power shower and all the usual toiletries you need. Everything was spotlessly clean.
Breakfast was a little disappointing to say the least we helped ourself to fruit almost still frozen we ordered coffe which was luke warm. We waited 25mins for porridge, my husband ordered boiled egg and soldiers which we thought was a lovely touch 2 boiled eggs arrived (hard bolied) the soldiers never arrived I was not offered a cooked breakfast I took that to be because I had ordered porridge which I must say was very nice extra toast or more coffee was not offered all in all not a very nice experience at all so sorry to say this but feel you need to know. I will add other diners did seem to be having very attentive service which does make your stay away from home special unfortunatly we did not receive this sort of service which did spoil our stay with you. I have rated service as averge mainly because of the dining experience

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed here after attending a wedding in the area. The welcome is friendly and efficient, with a well laid out reception area. Our room was lovely, spacious, great bed, and a large bathroom with a great shower. Because some of the hotel rooms are near to a busy main road, the curtains are double lined, so there is hardly any traffic noise. We had a good night's sleep.
Breakfast was available till 10 o'clock, as it was Sunday, with an attractive selection, I'm not sure if it was because our waitress was new, or it was nearly 10 o'clock, but my request for either eggs Benedict or a muffin breakfast met with, 'not available', and 'that will take half an hour', so, I settled for three items of the full breakfast, which, I have to say, was tasty, with great eggs, free range I would think.
There was no pressure to depart, we enjoyed a pot of coffee in the lounge after booking out, and the receptionist was friendly and helpful when I asked directions to the nearest large supermarket.
First time we have stayed here, but have enjoyed several meals over the years, really would recommend the 'Westmead' for a family event.

Room Tip: Any room is well appointed, and no worries if you overlook the reception area, no noise at all!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Stayed here for a week whilst on a course. The accommodation and service was good, nice big room and bathroom which were clean. Good price because it is out of town. Staff all very nice and helpful.

Wifi was touch and go in the room, at the far end of the hotel, was speedy when it worked though. Also annoying to have to get a new username and password each day.

Breakfast in the room was ok but a lack of attention to detail meant missing cutlery and slightly over done toast. However, couldn't fault the breakfast in the restaurant and no problem getting the bar opened out of hours. The food is expensive (although at the level you would expect at a hotel). You would be better off going to the Hopwood Pub just down the road by the canal for food.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Bromsgrove
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My sister got married here on the 2nd June and we had the most amazing day. The staff here are so helpful and nothing is too much trouble. We stayed in the hotel the night before in the Westmead Suite which was a family room. The room was beautiful with a massive bed and a sofa bed, there were certainly no complaints from the family and we all had a great nights sleep. We did eat at the hotel on the Friday night and the food was superb and very good value for money. The breakfast on the Sunday morning was also very good. I was a little surprised that it was not self service like most hotels. The guy that was serving the breakfast that morning was brilliant and certainly made sure we had plenty of food, he was a wonderful character and really made us smile. I would highly recommend this hotel as a wedding venue. The only downside that we found was that the drinks are expensive but this did spoil our fun.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Bloc Hotel Birmingham
Nitenite Birmingham
Nitenite Birmingham
#63 of 117 in Birmingham
Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre

Been to Westmead Hotel? Share your experiences!