“Extremely helpful staff that really make the hotel worth it”
Review of Westmead Hotel

Westmead Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I have stayed in this hotel numerous times, but this time has been well worth writing about. I stay there for work before heading down to London and it is in a perfect location for the services we meet at. I always stay in the same room as a colleague and because we have a practical joker for a boss we are always booked in a double instead of a twin, but the hotel staff have always been very helpful about changing it into a twin whilst giving good banter in the process, which helps us feel like we're not being a pain by requesting to have it changed. This particular time we had a lovely quite dinner in the hotel restaurant which was perfectly cooked and tasted amazing. Previous times being in the restaurant it has always been great food but there has been big parties for the staff to deal with which made service a little slow, but the staff were still able to do so with a smile on there face. Also this particular time I had newly purchased black jeans which had to look pristine for our trip down to London but I had managed to attract a huge amount of white fluff to the jeans making them quite unsightly. So I went down to the reception desk to ask if they had a lint roller to remove the fluff, unfortunately they did not have one, but the staff member (Ellie) who had previously been very pleasant, patient and welcoming on arrival, offered to bring me one for the morning, which would of been extremely helpful but unfortunetly I was leaving at 5:30am. She then came up with the idea of using the hotel's sellotape to remove the fluff which she then gave me and let me use, which worked a treat and I saw as great customer service aswel as great thinking. This hotel has always been a great hotel to stay at, but this time the staff really went above and beyond what I would expect of normal staff and even though I know it is only small things like offering to bring a lint roller in and giving me a large amount of sellotape, its those sorts of things which could have caused me a great deal of stress for the next day when I have a very important meeting. So thankyou to the Westmead hotel and their staff for not just making my stay pleasent but making the next day a little less stressful so I can think about the more important things. All of the above is why this is my first review and will probably not be my last for this hotel as I have stayed in a lot of hotels, but none up to this standard before at such a great price point

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Just returned after a weekend away we were in a group of 30plus people the hotel is a little tired and rooms could do with a little updating. The staff are very hardworking and nothing is too much trouble. We had breakfast and evening meal for two days and the meals were excellent on both days could do with some extra waiting staff but the ones on worked very hard and could not do enough for you. All staff give 100% from manager down would not hesitate oto return.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We stayed here on their 'chocoholics break' which includes a trip to Cadbury World. On arrival we were met by very friendly receptionists and every person we encountered working at this hotel was fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a double room with an extra bed for our 4 year old and it was a big room, with a huge bed. Our daughter was very happy with her bed and slept longer than she does at home! It was immaculately clean as well. As part of the deal we expected some Cadbury chocs in the room but not the amount we got! A bag full of goodies as well as a Cadbury activity book and crayons. This made our daughter's day. We ate in the bar and found the food to be excellent, as was breakfast. Nothing could have improved our trip and at £99 including the Cadbury world tickets, it was an absolute bargain. We left this hotel having had a wonderful 24 hours.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Amber29
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Ok so first I should start by apologising, I'm not prone to staying in hotels less than 5 star and therefore am not much of a barometer on where this hotel sits in relation to its class.

I recently stayed here to take advantage of their Cadburys World offer where for £99 2 adults and 2 kids stay (each with their own bed); including breakfast; entrance to Cadburys and a chocolate gift pack in room. It seemed like a great offer.

Booking - made very easy via email and follow up telephone call. Very patient staff especially over the Easter weekend where I imagine potential Cadburys availability may have been difficult. I tried sourcing tickets direct as these have to be pre-booked however the hotel take the hassle out of the booking completely i just had to provide the time I would be arriving.

Checking in - seemless again. We arrived earlier than check in as were travelling from Hants. Were advised room not ready yet but could leave luggage securely. We were given our tickets for Cadburys and advised not to buy 'welcome' pack upon arrival as the hotel had provided one each for the children which would be on their beds upon our return to the hotel.

Lunch - we wandered into the restaurant which was clearly preparing for a big event, staff were busy making tables. a guy very smartly dressed approached us and asked us if he could help but explained that they had 2 big dining events about to kick off, a wedding anniversary and a buffet lunch. Despite the pressure the team were under our orders were taken and food was prompt. We were also advised that dinner would not be as problematic although to be fair we didn't experience a problem at lunch.

Upon return to the hotel we check in our rooms. Plenty big enough for a family of 4. The kids loved the fact they had a bed each and were able to sleep in same room as Mummy and Daddy. DInner wasn't available until 7pm which is a bit of an issue when you have 2 small children however they did offer room service.

Dinner - upon leaving for dinner we tried to use the safe but it did not work. We called down for assistance but unfortunately they did not respons soon enough and we had to leave for the restaurant given that it was already 7pm and getting late for my 2 and 4 yr old. Again, it was clear that their were some very big functions going on in the hotel but the staff remained courteous and polite at all times. My husband was approached at the restaurant by a member of staff who couldn't apologise enough for not getting to our room on time. He offered to make it right but it really wasn't a big deal and we were just grateful for the apology however he insisted on at least fetching us two very large glasses of wine and again apologised, coming back to check on us again later to see if there was anything else they could do.

DInner was very pleasant although we waited some time being we were served. The lady who took our order was lovely and made our 2 children feel very special as she engaged with them and took some time to ask about their cuddly toys etc. We ordered the steak each and although a little pricey was really very good. She told the children they could take a handful of the many balloons decorating the room if they were good after dinner.

Breakfast - was a buffet affair and was ok.

Check out was easy as they don't take pre-authorised card payment and so everything had to be paid for as you went along.

All in all the hotel is tired looking and grubby in places, the carpet looks like it needs replacing and we had some evidence of water damage in our bedroom. But I have to say, the staff were amazing. So polite and courteous and are definitely the making of this hotel. The value was very good but as I say, I'm used to staying in 5 star hotels so it is hard for me to compare reasonably.

One suggestion for management - introduce name badges, it woudl be good to know who in the team provided excellent customer service above and therefore enabling you to recognise and reward them.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Myself and my wife enjoyed our wedding at this hotel a year Ago. This March we came back again to enjoy our first wedding anniversary.

I must say we were so delighted with all the staff and the way we and our guests were treated. A special thanks to Alastair Darrall and Natalia Szapiel who's service was five star.

Would highly recommend this hotel for any occasion.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My family and I stayed here easter weekend for a cadbury world break!!! 2 adults and 2 children 4 and 10 years!!! I must say I expected this hotel to be a little better than it was after reading some of the lovely reviews!!! We paid an extra £30 to upgrade our room, the room was large and suitable for 2 adults and 2 children but was right on a main road so was very noisy all the time !!!! Staff were friendly but service and punctuality needs improving!!! Resteraunt we thought was rather expensive and food wasn't up to standard for the value!!! Think this hotel needs a little updating!!! Nice stay but expected more than was recieved!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I had to stay here as i was on a course at work. But i have stayed before. I used this as a one off last year due to the premiere inn at Rueberry being crap. I have now got to now the way this hotel operates and it is really good. The staff are great and very helpful. The food is quite good and overall it is good value for money. I would also like to thank Carol for her excellent friendly and efficient service. I hope eto come back here very soon. I'm sure this will be my main base when working in this area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business