“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #45 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

I have stayed at the Westmead on a number of occasions and always found it to be very pleasant.

Rooms: The rooms are always clean and, in my experience, are well furnished (all of them appear to be very similar: desk, small table, couple of armchairs, bedside tables, lamps, TV). The beds are a decent size and comfortable. The bathrooms could do with a bit of a clean up - just cleaning the grout between the tiles, that type of thing. Nothing which particularly bothered me.

Dinner: On one occasion when we had our evening meal in the hotel, we were the only couple there. The waitress spent a lot of time discussing the menu and the wines with us. We perhaps wouldn't have got this if she had been busy, but it was a nice touch in any event. The meal was also very good, good quality and cooked just as we had asked.

Breakfast: Breakfast has always been a little disappointing. Whilst they had a good selection of pastries, cereals and fruit, the cooked breakfast (buffet) was never quite right. Once, I had to queue for ages, only to get to the front to find that there was nothing left. It may be better if you come down early in the morning, but I like to sleep and whilst I don't leave it to the last second, if I go to breakfast 30 minutes before its due to end, I would still like some choice! This is something which could be improved.

Service: On the whole, very good. Always polite and willing to help. There were only a couple of occasions when I thought they could have been a bit better - 1. I stayed at the Westmead after my wedding (although we didn't have the reception there). I called in advance to say that we would be arriving quite late, around 1am. Despite this, there was no-one there when we arrived. We had to wait around whilst another guest at the hotel tried to track down a member of staff to check us in. Eventually someone was found and they were very apologetic, however as I had given them notice, and told them it was my wedding, I had expected a slightly better approach. 2. On other night (not the wedding night!), we tried to get a movie on the TV. Despite calling reception 3 or 4 times, and being assured repeatedly that it was being sorted, the film would not work. After a while, we gave up. No-one called to say that there was a problem and the matter was ignored in the morning.

Whilst I have flagged up a couple of the weaker points of the Westmead, please don't think it is a bad hotel. In fact, I go back because it has a nice atmosphere, has good parking, a nice bar area, has nice countryside views, is just outside Birmingham within driving distance of many attractions, and as far as hotels go, it is quiet. Overall, a nice, good value, hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Alsager, Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2010

After seeing the pics of the rooms on the hotel's website I was really disappointed to be given a room that was in need of an update, smelled musty and had dirty carpets and bathroom floor and thick dust on the bathroom skirting board. Perhaps that's because I booked a twin bedded room and they haven't been updated. I saw the manager in the corridor and mentioned the skirting boards, he asked if we wanted to move but as we'd unpacked and were only staying for one night I declined. The breakfast was delicious and freshly cooked to order and the reception staff were courteous and efficient. If I go again I'll opt for a kingsize double room.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
nuneaton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

I asked for our rooms to be close - they were scattered on various floors throughout the hotel.
We were told 2pm check in and not all the rooms were ready which meant a second trip to the hotel during the after service photos.
We asked if the bar would be open late - we had to argue with the night porter to get it re-opened.
The beds are "one step away from the floor" as my husband stated (rock hard).
There was considerable confusion in paying the bill as separate cards had been taken instead of the one i booked with which i had asked for all rooms to be charged to.
There was not a "do not disturb" sign in our room and we got woken by the maid service early the next day - not very nice.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank NuneatonMother
BennyBalsall, Owner at Westmead Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2010
Thank you for your feedback and letting us know of your poor experiences.We would like to discuss your experience with you in more detail and would very much appreciate if you could the owner on 01214457838. I would like to apologise that you have not seen us at our best .I would like to assure you that I have spoken to all relevant staff to high light the issues so that our future guests are not similarly disappointed.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

TV - limited channel - 4 worked and there was a pay per view film option.

Bar limited

Service for breaksfast was poor but sligthly better the last time I statyed there

Issues with fire alarms going off 2 time out of 8 stays.

Rooms large but furtniture and cusions even larger so zero sum game.

Good views of car parks from all rooms I have stayed in.

Very busy main road outside but noise polution from it does not permeate rooms.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
braintree
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2010

Spent 1 night here as it was near to Cadbury World. Reception staff not very welcoming. Shown to a double room after requesting a twin. Then shown to sub-standard twin room which obviously hadn't received "make-over" other rooms had. 1am - 1.30am drunk guest decides to smoke in room and sets off fire alarm. Not a very peaceful night for other guests. Glad to leave in the morning.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

staying one night on business as our company was holding a conference at the hotel. hotel was easy to find in the dark, close to the motorway networks and has plenty of parking. the room was a good size with a massive bed (although it did have a pronounced ridge down the middle, where i imagine it can be split into a twin, which might be irritating for couples). the bathroom was spacious and clean too.
food at the hotel was of a fairly good standard, with an excellent breakfast..
i gather from other reviews that this hotel can be enjoyed at very reasonable prices, so i would say it would provide you excellent value for a couple nights. no real character, but is clean, comfortable and has good array of business facilities.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Oxford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

It was an ok hotel, but it was let down by its service. We booked a room 5 days in advance yet when we got there we were allocated the wrong room (twin not double), which needless to say we were not pleased about on valentines day! After much negotiation and blaming of other people by the manager we were given the valentines meal for free. This was a lovely meal and easily the best thing about the hotel. The room was in need of a refurb and a proper clean, and breakfast had a very small selection for a buffet. All in all I will not be booking here again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple