“No complaints here”

Ranked #65 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“No complaints here”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the second consecutive year in order to enjoy Pride. The hotel's location for access to the city centre, in particular the gay scene, was excellent. Also very handy for the train station and Mailbox shopping area where we had breakfast. The room we stayed in was spacious, modern and clean.

Room Tip: Possibly quieter at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Joanna O, Marketing Executive at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 3 May 2016
Dear Stevestorey,

Marketing Executive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Ive stayed here before several years ago and found it to be good value for money in the location it is.
The Holiday Inn is about 5 min walk from Bham New St station, 1 min walk to Hippodrome and 2 min walk to the "gay" area. We stayed here for pride on the saturday on the first floor. Arrived at 2pm and checked in no issues. We also decided to order breakfast at £9.50 each and you could get it delivered to the room. We got into our room and it was clean, tidy and perfect for our needs. We left the hotel straight away and went out. When we got back after midnight the security man was courteous in letting us in straight away once he had seen our room key. We got into bed and fell asleep pretty much straight away. Being on the first floor you could hear some noise but not enough to disturb sleeping. I woke up just after 8am to the sound of "attention this vehicle is reversing" as our room looked straight onto the road where all the bins were collected, again it wasnt massively loud but as I am a light sleeper it did wake me up.
breakfast arrived promptly in our alloted time. The breakfast really is very good. I had a cooked breakfast with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrown, beans, black pudding and it came hot and of a very good standard and I am difficult to please when it comes to a fry up but this was lovely, cooked well, not greasy and just the right amount. I also had toast, cereal, pasteries, fruit and fruit juice (why not I did pay £9.50 and its included!) all in all a good price to pay for the amount you get and we didnt even need to leave the room!
checked out at 11:30am no issues, paid for breakfast + room service charge making breakfast £22 for 2 which to me was worth the price.
all in all its a good holiday inn. Having stayed here before it offers you a good place to stay at a reasonable price, yes there are other hotel chains also very near here that are slightly less but this one to me is the best overall. If you are staying here I would recommend the cooked breakfast, book it when you check in as its £9.50 each but if booked after midnight it goes up to £15 each. If you are a light sleeper might be an idea to request a room on a higher floor, the noise was slight but to some it might be irritating. Also like to add that there is no parking facilites, if you do go shop around online for car parks. We parked 5 mins away and it was £9.70 for 24 hrs but some near this hotel can charge double so do check first!

Room Tip: try to get a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed May 2011
Dear sarahwright,

Derbyshire
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We stayed here to attend our son's wedding. The hotel is just a 10 minute walk from the registy office so a very convenient place to stay. The staff at the hotel were very helpful and welcoming. The room we stayed in was great and we think we may have been upgraded, if not it was certainly value for money. The hotel in general seemed very clean as did the room and there were loads of plug sockets to use which was useful. There was plenty of choice at the breakfast and we really enjoyed the cooked breakfast buffet! We would definitely stay here again and may do so soon just for a shopping trip.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Jaqpaddy,

Thank you for such wonderful review, we truly appreciate your business and trust in us. I am pleased to hear that our staff and service meets your needs and expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Tonbridge
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I was booked into this hotel as I was doing some work in Birmingham for a couple of days. It is convenitently located near Birmingham New Street and several other Birmingham stations, but you can't hear any train noise.

Check in was quick and friendly and when I entered the room, to be honest I was shocked. It was massive! It had a fabulously huge desk too, which was useful for me to carry out some work. The room was all very clean, and the bed comfy.

I went down to dinner and had a pleasant meal and a very cheery and helpful restaurant manager (I can't remember his name sadly, but I think he was French or Italian). For some unknown reason, I felt really faint after my meal and despite trying to leave and get back to my room to lie down quickly, the manager sensed someone was wrong, sat me down in thw lounge and got me some cold water. he kept an eye on me until we both thought I was properly ready to go back to me room. Bless him. Absolutely no need to look after me, yet he decided to anyway.

At breakfast the following day, he checked I was ok (does this guy ever sleep) and sent me off to work with a smile on my face.

With the exceptional service, convenient location and hearty food, I'd be happy to stay here on a break too.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Dear sparky4421,

Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Very convenient location for both New St and Moor St stations, as well as BullRing shopping. Very shabby entrance to the hotel (tucked away on a side road and not on Smallbrook Queensway). I stayed twice in one week - first room was tiny and had no bath (just shower!) and they squeezed in far too many furnitures in the room! The second time, I was given a bigger room and had a bath and shower this time. The bed on both times were awful! They have obviously put two singles together and dipped in the middle and was poorly made. The sheets were too small and had folds and creases all over which made for an uncomfortable sleep. Breakfast was average although they did run out of English Breakfast teabags. By the time it was replenished - I had finished my breakfast! Checkout on a busy weekday morning was very slow and a lone member of staff had to deal with everyone! I wouls stay there again for the convenience in location but suffice it to say - I'm booked at the Radisson Blu next door for next week.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Dear HaddaTraveller,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay, as that is not up to our normal standards. We will share your feedback with our staff and make the necessary changes. We hope you choose to stay with us again, so we can show you our true level of service.

Copenhagen
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Stayed 10 nights (April 22 to May 2). Reception quiet both checking-in and out, and staff friendly and helpful, and changed our room when we found out there was no safe in the room. The new room was also much larger, so may have been an upgrade. It was also well appointed. Bathroom recently refurbished but very small, needing to squeeze round the door to get in and out. We had also requested and were given a room at the rear and high up in view of the comments here, so we heard no noise from traffic or people, but there was some noise from machinery (ventilation?) coming from the yard below if the windows were opened.
We didn't have breakfast in the hotel as there are many places nearby, but had dinner in the hotel restaurant 3 times, which was okay, but hardly any other guests every time.
During one night we found the electric cut off - lights and phone, etc. and also the lifts. The fire escape stairs had lighting that was maybe on an emergency generator so at 4am I walked down the 9 flights to check exactly what was happening and came out in a back yard and so walked round to the main entrance to be told that engineers were working on it; and the electric came back on by daylight. Presumably such blackouts/outages are rare.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear lexyleod,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Stayed in an executive room on a Friday & Saturday night in March with the OH.

Good points:
- Check-in and check-out were painless (paid online in advance).
- Free bottled water (although they didn't replace it the next day) and copy of the Economist
- Good sized mini-bar (which I used as a fridge to store drinks I'd bought myself!)
- Very generous sized room with pillow menu on the bed
- Clean and well-lit bathroom with bath/shower combo (small but cosy!)
- They don't include toothbrush/toothpaste in the bathroom but two were delivered very quickly when I asked at the desk!
- Great location: 2 mins walks from New Street Station, 5 minutes to Bullring/Arcadia and around 10-15 minutes to Broad Street (where all the trendy bars and Gatecrasher are)

Not so Good Points:
- Noise: On the Saturday night I was woken around 2am from the horns of what I assume were taxis. And I was on the highest floor of the hotel! My OH slept right through it however so maybe it's just my ninja hearing...
- Got unlucky that there were a group of young people on our floor coming back 3-4am talking very loudly in the corridor and then preceding to play trance music from their room which I could hear through the walls. Called reception to complain after about 30 mins (hoping they'd stop) and it did stop shortly after - not sure if they did send someone up or not but it stopped none the less!
- The TV in the executive room is very small and sits on the desk and they're advertising plasmas in the standard room so bit odd that it's smaller in the more expensive room!
- There was only one pair of slippers and one bathrobe despite it being double occupancy (didn't complain though because OH didn't mind)
- Didn't sample the hotel food but breakfast in bed (which would've been nice!) was about £15pp or something hideous...

Summary: Nice location, great staff, comfortable room... but bring earplugs!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear distortedkarma,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback about your stay. I am very sorry to hear that several things throughout your stay did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your comments and will share these with our team so that we can continue to improve our services. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that we can provide a better experience.