“Central and good value for money”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #64 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Central and good value for money”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Looking for cheap accommodations in Birmingham, I received a discount code from Amex for 30% off. We booked a double executive room for £116 (for 2 nights).

Having visited Birmingham before and seeing the hotel, I know it doesn’t look like much from the outside and Trip Advisor reviews are not that great. But, we took the risk.

We were pleasantly surprised by the large room, big bed, modern bathroom and friendly staff. We didn’t encounter any loud guests (nor hear anyone else) during our stay (a frequent Trip Advisor complaint).

The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to everything you’ll want to see in the city including entertainment, shopping and restaurants. It’s a short walk from the city train station so you’ll never need a taxi.

Based on our stay I’d recommend the hotel for a couple nights away, especially the double executive room. It won’t blow you away but it’s excellent value for money.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travelkidd
Joanna O, Marketing Executive at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 3 May 2016
Dear Travelkidd,

Marketing Executive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lancashire
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Stayed for 2 nights whilst visiting the city for gay pride. Chose the hotel for it's location after finding a great deal online. Only paid £95 for 2 nights by booking well in advance. This hotel is in a fantastic location for the gay village, hippodrome theatre and bull ring shopping area, not so good if you were visiting Broad Street or NIA. The staff were helpful and the room lovely. The rooms are compact but incredibly clean and modern with plenty free toiletries so you don't need to take shower gel, shampoo or soap. The room had a flat screen TV with remote, plenty wardrobe space, a desk with lamp and a superb bathroom. The shower was hot and powerful. I especially liked the 'alien' green lighting under the bathroom sink, great for overnight lighting. We were on the 6th floor, right at the end of the corridor and never heard a sound during our entire stay. Despite the hotel being full of people visiting pride. There was quite a lot of street noise until the early hours but with the windows shut this was fine. The only grumble I have is the lack of close by cheap carparking. There are 2 car parks beside the hotel, but at £13.00 and £14.40 for 24 hours they are not cheap. But at least you don't have far to walk and you can keep an eye on your car. I would definately recommend this hotel and I can't wait to stay again.

Room Tip: End of a corridor, so no-one walks past.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Claire_Lancs,

Thank you for such wonderful review, we truly appreciate your business and trust in us. I am pleased to hear that our staff and service meets your needs and expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the second consecutive year in order to enjoy Pride. The hotel's location for access to the city centre, in particular the gay scene, was excellent. Also very handy for the train station and Mailbox shopping area where we had breakfast. The room we stayed in was spacious, modern and clean.

Room Tip: Possibly quieter at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Stevestorey,

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Ive stayed here before several years ago and found it to be good value for money in the location it is.
The Holiday Inn is about 5 min walk from Bham New St station, 1 min walk to Hippodrome and 2 min walk to the "gay" area. We stayed here for pride on the saturday on the first floor. Arrived at 2pm and checked in no issues. We also decided to order breakfast at £9.50 each and you could get it delivered to the room. We got into our room and it was clean, tidy and perfect for our needs. We left the hotel straight away and went out. When we got back after midnight the security man was courteous in letting us in straight away once he had seen our room key. We got into bed and fell asleep pretty much straight away. Being on the first floor you could hear some noise but not enough to disturb sleeping. I woke up just after 8am to the sound of "attention this vehicle is reversing" as our room looked straight onto the road where all the bins were collected, again it wasnt massively loud but as I am a light sleeper it did wake me up.
breakfast arrived promptly in our alloted time. The breakfast really is very good. I had a cooked breakfast with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrown, beans, black pudding and it came hot and of a very good standard and I am difficult to please when it comes to a fry up but this was lovely, cooked well, not greasy and just the right amount. I also had toast, cereal, pasteries, fruit and fruit juice (why not I did pay £9.50 and its included!) all in all a good price to pay for the amount you get and we didnt even need to leave the room!
checked out at 11:30am no issues, paid for breakfast + room service charge making breakfast £22 for 2 which to me was worth the price.
all in all its a good holiday inn. Having stayed here before it offers you a good place to stay at a reasonable price, yes there are other hotel chains also very near here that are slightly less but this one to me is the best overall. If you are staying here I would recommend the cooked breakfast, book it when you check in as its £9.50 each but if booked after midnight it goes up to £15 each. If you are a light sleeper might be an idea to request a room on a higher floor, the noise was slight but to some it might be irritating. Also like to add that there is no parking facilites, if you do go shop around online for car parks. We parked 5 mins away and it was £9.70 for 24 hrs but some near this hotel can charge double so do check first!

Room Tip: try to get a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed May 2011
Dear sarahwright,

Derbyshire
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We stayed here to attend our son's wedding. The hotel is just a 10 minute walk from the registy office so a very convenient place to stay. The staff at the hotel were very helpful and welcoming. The room we stayed in was great and we think we may have been upgraded, if not it was certainly value for money. The hotel in general seemed very clean as did the room and there were loads of plug sockets to use which was useful. There was plenty of choice at the breakfast and we really enjoyed the cooked breakfast buffet! We would definitely stay here again and may do so soon just for a shopping trip.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Jaqpaddy,

Tonbridge
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I was booked into this hotel as I was doing some work in Birmingham for a couple of days. It is convenitently located near Birmingham New Street and several other Birmingham stations, but you can't hear any train noise.

Check in was quick and friendly and when I entered the room, to be honest I was shocked. It was massive! It had a fabulously huge desk too, which was useful for me to carry out some work. The room was all very clean, and the bed comfy.

I went down to dinner and had a pleasant meal and a very cheery and helpful restaurant manager (I can't remember his name sadly, but I think he was French or Italian). For some unknown reason, I felt really faint after my meal and despite trying to leave and get back to my room to lie down quickly, the manager sensed someone was wrong, sat me down in thw lounge and got me some cold water. he kept an eye on me until we both thought I was properly ready to go back to me room. Bless him. Absolutely no need to look after me, yet he decided to anyway.

At breakfast the following day, he checked I was ok (does this guy ever sleep) and sent me off to work with a smile on my face.

With the exceptional service, convenient location and hearty food, I'd be happy to stay here on a break too.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Dear sparky4421,

Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Very convenient location for both New St and Moor St stations, as well as BullRing shopping. Very shabby entrance to the hotel (tucked away on a side road and not on Smallbrook Queensway). I stayed twice in one week - first room was tiny and had no bath (just shower!) and they squeezed in far too many furnitures in the room! The second time, I was given a bigger room and had a bath and shower this time. The bed on both times were awful! They have obviously put two singles together and dipped in the middle and was poorly made. The sheets were too small and had folds and creases all over which made for an uncomfortable sleep. Breakfast was average although they did run out of English Breakfast teabags. By the time it was replenished - I had finished my breakfast! Checkout on a busy weekday morning was very slow and a lone member of staff had to deal with everyone! I wouls stay there again for the convenience in location but suffice it to say - I'm booked at the Radisson Blu next door for next week.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Dear HaddaTraveller,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay, as that is not up to our normal standards. We will share your feedback with our staff and make the necessary changes. We hope you choose to stay with us again, so we can show you our true level of service.