“Great location for the bullring and the Hippodrome”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #65 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We stayed here one night when we were in Birmingham to see We will rock you at the Hippodrome. We booked using airmiles which was for one night with breakfast in a standard room, However we decided to upgrade to an executive room for extra £15 cash on arrival. Check in was quick and easy although the young girl checking us in kept getting interrupted by one of the other girls at the desk which we thought was rather rude and unprofessional . We were given room 805 and we soon there using the fast elevator. The room was pretty large with a huge very comfortable bed a 40” flat screen TV with freeview and a limited amount of pay movies. It also had a very nice work station so if you are staying on business it would have everything you need. There was the usual tea and coffee making bits and pieces. We had robes and slippers and the bathroom had a nice selection of toiletries also dove liquid soap and lux shower gel dispenser on the wall. The room was showing some slight signs of wear but on the whole was of a good clean standard. In the morning we opted for breakfast in our room which only cost us an extra £3.50 for tray charge, it was hot and fresh and we both enjoyed it. The girl checking us out was the same girl that kept interrupting our check in girl the day before and she couldn’t have been less interested if she tried , she didn’t offer a good morning or a was your stay ok in fact all she could mutter was that’s £3.50 tray charge. I paid and left without the offer of a smile or safe journey or anything really, I did notice she had a book open at the desk and maybe I interrupted her reading. It’s a shame after such a nice stay that’s our parting memory. I would not let her put me off though and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Joanna O, Marketing Executive at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2016

Dear steve1503,

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Loved it would stop again will be booking again soon.very clean and friendly spot on location.

• Stayed: July 2011

Dear Heedy,

Thank you for such wonderful review, we truly appreciate your business and trust in us. I am pleased to hear that our staff and service meets your needs and expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 20 July 2011

This hotel is situated just a few minutes walk away from Birmingham New Street Station which is ideal for those people on business. The bedroom was an Executive room and is well appointed. A comfortable, very large bed and a choice of pillows. Good working space. There is plenty of hanging space and the room had an iron and ironing board. My only criticism would be about the hairdryer. As with many hotel issue you have to keep your finger pressed down and this is difficult when also trying to style your hair. There is a good selection at breakfast with both continental and full English breakfast being available. The hotel is clean and all the staff are very courteous and helpful. This is the second time I have stayed in this hotel and the standard is consistent.
The Bullring and Mailbox shopping centres are all within walking distance and the hotel is situated near to the theatre.
Good location for business, shopping and leisure.

Dear Scarrface,

Reviewed 20 July 2011

This hotel is actually one of the better hotels I have stayed in recently. Close to New Street Station and very central to the Bull Ring. The check in was fairly quick and easy. We were allocated a room on the 4th floor looking out over the back of the hotel. Room was a good size as was the bathroom and both were clean. The bathroom was starting to look a bit tired but have seen far worse! Plenty of choice for breakfast. The biggest problem I had though was with the noise from outside. I was initially happy to be at the back of the hotel as I had read some of the reviews about the noise out the front. However, firstly there was the issue of the huge fan on an adjacent roof that was on constantly. Then there was the constant noise from about 1am both nights of rubbish collectors, bottle collectors and other sounds from very noisy vehicles and what sounded like construction work. If it hadn't been for the sleepless nights I would have given this hotel 4 stars. I can't really fault the hotel on the service/cleanliness/value aspects but definately wouldn't recommend to a friend - well, unless they were happy not to get any sleep during their stay!

Room Tip: As high up as possible away from noise!

Dear Bigchocciefan,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback about your stay. I am very sorry to hear that several things throughout your stay did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your comments and will share these with our team so that we can continue to improve our services. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that we can provide a better experience.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

I stayed here for a business meeting and was generally suprised at the level of service and quality of the bedrooms.

I stayed in an Executive room, which was spacious, clean, well stocked and had a huge king size bed, which you don't see too oftern in the UK.

The breakfast was excellent and well priced for the amount of food on offer, I had a full English and it was great.

The staff were so friendly and efficient. My expectations were exceeded.

Only a very short walk to the Chinese Quarter and to the upmarket Mailbox development, with a wide range of shops and restaurants. Parking is next door at he NCP, but is was good value.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would certainly stay here again.

Dear GarethParry,

Reviewed 12 July 2011

I paid around £35 for the room for 2 so didint expect much. was extreamly happy with my choice. the decor was lovely, the room was HUGE and the location was brilliant!! stayed here on a friday night and didint hear any noise at all!! the air con went cold and was great as it was soo warm! it was 2 min walk from the theatre- the reason why we were there, and bull ring and train 5 mins walk. Didnt have any breakfast so can't comment, everything about this hotel was great! Only downside was parking, obviously its a city centre hotel, so had to pay £16 for parking for 24 hours- isnt the hotels fault, and would get this at any hotel in the centre, but was jst the only moan we had!
it also had free wifi! i would rate this hotel a 4* easily and would definatly stay here again if i was ever in birmiingham!!

Room Tip: we had 418 and it was HUGE!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear judith_charmers23,

Reviewed 9 July 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights mainly because the Crowne Plaza was full. The rooms are okay, showeres are a bit weak though.
My main gripe is the restaurant food menue. It really is not that good and the quality of the food is mediocre at best. The staff are not all that motivated either form my observations.
The bar area is dull and seriously needs a make-over
I won't be coming back unless I am really desperate.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business