“Excellent location but poor sleep quality”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #64 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I stayed here as part of a hen party weekend and I can't fault the location at all, the hotel is extremely close Birmingham New Street station and the Bull Ring shopping centre, making it perfect for our needs. The hotel from outside is very dated but the inside was surprising as it was very clean and comfortable. The rooms were basic, slightly dated but a good size and serviceable.

It was impossible to get a good nights sleep in our room as we were facing the very busy main road below and constant noise of the traffic (and car horns honking solidly for 15 mins at 4am!) kept us awake for most of the night. Other members of our party did not have this problem as they had rooms on the other side of the hotel away from the busy road.

Breakfast was good, plenty of choice and variety and the staff were helpful if not overly friendly. If I needed to stay in central Birmingham again I would consider staying here but would make sure I had a room on the quieter side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room away from the main road
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear nbarnett86,

I am delighted to hear that the staff had a positive impact on your stay. I have posted a copy of your comments on to the staff board.

As you mentioned, we are located centrally, about 2 minutes walk from the New Street train station, surrounded with bars, clubs, restaurants, theatres and other attractions which are partly the cause of the noise issues from outside. We have a double glazing in each bedroom which complies with the required sound proofing standards. We are also working very closely with the Local Authorities (we are also partnered with the Southside BID) to address some of the issues within the area (noise, drunkness, lighting, security and promoting the area). We do now have wardens (employed by the BID) working 24/7 to deal with some of the issues.

It is also encouraging to read your comments about the breakfast service.

Thank you once again for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed here overnight during the week.It was an ideal hotel to stay in as it was within walking distance of the Bullring shopping complex and the city railway station. The Hotels` restaurant was very good as was the food. The bedroom ideal and very reasonable with a bed which was enormous and very comfortable. Parking was next door,NCP which was the usual central city prices for an overnight stay. Generally very reasonable hotel for a city centre.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear NorwichExplorer,

I have read your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City.

I am delighted to hear that the hotel location and the Restaurant had a positive impact on your stay. I have posted a copy of your comments on to the staff board.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

First, the good points. The staff were great and the food was very good, both in the restaurant and in the conference area. The location isn't pretty and your first sight of the building is likely to depress you, It needs some paint on the outside. There's no parking and it isn't easy to identify which car parks nearby allow 24 hours access. I parked in the Mailbox car park which was fine but a little walk away.

I was upgraded to a superior room. It was very 1970's with a dark wood, but the bed was fine, there was a functional desk (though the siting of the plug socket means if your plug cable comes out of the bottom of the plug it's hard to plug it in) and a very good iron and ironing board.

The downside? Don't expect much of a view. Those whose windows face blank walls are the lucky ones. The room is fine for one but would be cramped for two. The room was warm, but the meeting rooms downstairs were uncomfortably hot and we couldn't get that right. We also found that we could hear the chatter in the next door meeting room quite clearly.

Dear CrinklyTraveller,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write about your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City.

Being a city centre hotel, the parking is limited at the site, but with plenty of car parks within walking distance. We do have a concession with Apcoa car park (currently at £10.00 per 24 hours). If you contact the hotel, we would be more than happy to give you directions, for your next visit.

I have recently carried out a refurbishment in to our main conference rooms; I will look in to your comment to eliminate similar incidents to reoccur.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Stayed here for a course, large group of us,those with rooms on higher floors had lovely refurbed rooms lower floors were not!
Breakfast was substantial and plenty on offer, bar food was good as was restaurant, we chose bar food most nights ,cheaper and warmer restaurant was cold as not often many in.
Definately ask for a room on the back as Mon and Thu is student or cheap night out in Birmingham and if you are on the front even on 7th floor noise and taxis beeping goes on till 5am!! you wont have a view but you will get sleep!! Lots of building work at Birmingham New Street station this year so may get noise early on from 7.30am as it 2 min away.
I had room 714 ,large bed and plenty of space modern but no bath,just shower ,which suited me fine.
Overall a good hotel but definaltely an upper floor room as lower ones were dated.

Room Tip: Room at the back of hotel for less street noise and high floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Joanna O, Marketing Executive at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2016

Dear smudgeygirl,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback about your stay. I am very sorry to hear that several things throughout your stay did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your comments and will share these with our team so that we can continue to improve our services. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that we can provide a better experience.

Joanna
Marketing Executive

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed here recently on a 1 night stay as my son and I were going to see Keane perform at the O2 Academy. I picked the Holiday Inn because of its proximity to the concert venue and a really good rate (a lot less than the neighboring hotels).

My Sat Nav found the hotel OK and I aimed for the nearest car park I could see, which was a surface one about 30 metres from the hotel entrance. The parking was £15 for 24 hours although the car park did not look at all secure, but I have a company car so I not that bothered!

Check in was very smooth and efficient and the interior of the hotel was very smart and modern, the outside of the building looked a bit shabby! We were allocated a twin room on the second floor.

The room was again very clean and modern and very well presented. It was good and adequate for the limited time we would be spenidng in there. 2 single beds, bathroom with small bath and an over shower. Tea, coffee and biscuits were provided in the room.

The hotel is in an excellent location, we walked over to the Bullring shopping cnetre and had some tea there. A variety of eating establishments are within 10 minutes walking. After that we made our way over to the O2 academy. The O2 academy is in fact only about 5 minutes from the hotel.

I have read complaints about the noise from the road at this hotel and even though we were only on the 2nd floor and also facing the front of the hotel, I did not hear any road noise. The only noise was from my adjoining room neighbour who seemed to be going in and out all night with a variety of guests! The downside of a city centre budget hotel I suppose!

In the morning we left and did not have breakfast at the hotel, so I cannot comment on the hotel restaurant.

This hotel really is in the middle of everything as I saw loads of bars and nightclubs around the hotel, so it is in the ideal location for a stay whilst on a night out in Birmingham.

All in all, a very nice reasonable hotel. I would stay here again if I was in the middle of Birmingham.

Oh and my car made it through the night OK!!!

Room Tip: Ask to NOT be located near any Stag or Hen groups!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear Siddex,

Regarding the noise from neighbour room; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay and undisturbed sleep overnight. We will discuss to see how we can eliminate similar incidents in future.

I am delighted that we were able to accommodate your needs. I will pass your comments on to all involved as it gives that little extra incentive

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed here for one night whilst on business. I sometimes stay at Holiday Inn’s because most of the time the standards are generally the same. Okay, some are good and some not so good so I do tend to keep an open mind whilst staying at Holiday Inns.

But on this occasion this was a good one. First off and most importantly the staff – very friendly, couldn’t do enough for me.

I must confess I dined out at the Bank in Brindley Place, so for me the important parts were the room and the breakfast.

First off, the room. Typical Holiday Inn – won’t set the world alight for creativity but it is clean and tidy and the big bonus with most Holiday Inn’s; the internet – SUPER FAST!

So no complaints.

With regards breakfast, it is a buffet. Now generally I’m not a huge fan of buffet’s because everything dries out and things are normally empty. But I must confess in my case breakfast was great! No complaints there.

I think the big bonus for this hotel is the location – central to Birmingham, 5 min walk to the Bull Ring shopping centre and 5 min walk to the Mailbox (it’s a large shopping, eating and drinking area in Birmingham and the gateway to Brindley Place.)

Room Tip: Might be a good suggestion to ask not to be facing the main road. I must confess I was but I didn...

Dear Jupiter101,

We have recently invested in our internet connection to ensure all guest can work the net with ease and with our compliments.

It is also very encouraging to receive you feedback about the breakfast service. We have a system where we constantly replenish items to ensure freshness. It is obvious that it does work.

Thank you for your kind comments we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Usually stay in the crown plaza but couldn't get in so stayed here instead... Past visits told me not too expect much but to be honest my room(upgraded to an exec) was very nice and comfortable. Fortunately had a late breakfast and the usual scrum was avoided.. Food was plentiful and well cooked. I did stay on a Sunday night so potentially not too busy and this may have made a difference. My previous stay was during a large international sports competition and it was bedlam.
I will stay here again but I think I would pay the extra for the exec room.

Dear PMACCA,