“A really good, comfortable Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #63 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Oxford
“A really good, comfortable Holiday Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Try as I might, I cannot see what people find to moan about at this Holiday inn. I have stayed in many much much worse so far this year. My stay last night was on reward points and to be honest as it was a free night I wasn't expecting too much. Upon check in the receptionist couldn't have been more friendly and chatty. She said she had a room for me on the 9th floor but didn't really want to put me in that one as it had not yet been refurbished. Instead she found me a executive room on the 7th floor. I was also given a complimentary drink voucher as a platinum club member. Most Holiday Inns can't be bothered to offer an upgrade or free drink when you pay £100 plus per night let alone when it is free. Full marks to reception for well exceeding my expectations! My room was huge, spotlessly clean and with the most comfortable king size bed possible. This along with fantastic views across birmingham city centre made for a very comfortable stay. Yes, the hotel is not situated in the nicest part of the city but it is close to New Street station and the city centre. Indeed It is also situated on a busy main road but I certainaly was not disturbed by any traffic noise. Last trip to Birmingham I stayed at the Crowne Plaza. Next trip will definately be this Holiday Inn, it beats the CP hands down.

Room Tip: Room 701 is great!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Andy C,

Thank you for your lovely review on your recent stay with us, I am so glad everything went well and our staff have looked after you.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back again soon, either using your points to stay or paying directly. Thank you again for your review.

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

This Holiday Inn is in a somewhat down at heel area, although close to the city centre. The building is old and ugly. That impression is made worse by the gleaming new hotel right next door. The hotel is on a busy road but there was little traffic noise in my room.

The front desk was efficient but not particularly friendly. I found a mess of hairs in the toilet bowl, which the housekeeper had not flushed.

The room was modern and pleasant. The TV had a limited selection of channels. Although the remote had buttons to set an alarm and for information, neither worked.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Dear johnpratt,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodation. We are currently working on a project to improve the selection of channels in all bedrooms. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

Quite simply the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. I went home after a 2 night stay exhausted and was promptly reminded by my friend that she told me to stay in the Crown Plaza. Next time!

Location was good for me as next to the train station / Bull Ring.

Room Tip: Stay clear of the lifts. The hotel seems to be used by a lot of companies running courses - with de...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gymbunnie2
Joanna O, Marketing Executive at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 3 May 2016
Dear gymbunnie2,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay, as that is not up to our normal standards. We will share your feedback with our staff and make the necessary changes. We hope you choose to stay with us again, so we can show you our true level of service.

Joanna
Marketing Executive
Newcastle UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Booked a weekend at this hotel for a cricket test match. Stayed in room 610, great room, high standard of fittings. Seen the comments on the hotel being outwardly dated and has poor views and noisey. The hotel is clearly more than 20 years old and the views are what you would expect from any city centre hotel! Staff were very helpful on arrival, directed me to a 24 hour manned car park, literally 2 minutes away for a very respectable £10 per 24 hours, please, please, do not park next store at the NCP car park, it will cost you an arm and a leg! If you arrive by car drive into the service road in the hotel, check in and get directions to the car park. If you pre-book a breakfast (before midnight the night before) the rate is only £10.50 per person. All staff were very helpful, full marks to the staff in the restaurant, they were very helpful and very attentive. If I had one gripe it would be that staff load massive numbers of plates into the warmer and the result is "cold plates all round".

Room Tip: High room preferred, go for rooms on floor 6
Dear Qualitytraveller22,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, I am delighted to read your comment about our team’s commitment, and I hope you enjoyed the cricket test match. Our staff will be very proud to hear they are described as very friendly and helpful. We will review your comment in regards to replenish the hot plates in the restaurant; I hope you will be back with us again very soon.

West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed at holiday inn as going to the hippodrome. The hotel is the nearest to it, stayed in an executive room, booked early via and got discount for doing so. Room great, noise low, bed massive. Great breakfast and staff friendly and helpful. Would definately use again.

• Stayed June 2012
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear saratonk,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

We are delighted that the executive room you were allocated was to your satisfaction.

It is also very encouraging to read your comments about the staff friendliness and the quality of food. We have passed your kind comments on to all concerned and a copy has been posted on to our staff notice board.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here over the Jubilee weekend which was also Birmingham Pride Weekend. 'Treated' myself to a executive room. Overall room was great, very spacious, AC worked well, comfy enormous bed, WiFi bit hit n miss. Despite being on main road and close to pride celebrations, didn't experience any noise disruptions, though those on lower floors may have. Mini bar was missing from room with a note left with reason. Considering size of room, and indeed the gigantic bed, main disappointment was the tiny bathroom. Whilst importantly clean, very small and shower was not working well with most of the water leaking from connection, so power very low. Used the hotel bar once, had one drink, went for another, and after waiting 5 minutes for a member of staff to appear, gave up. Overall though, would recommend as great location despite few niggles, would stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: Ask for high floor !!
Dear Adam R,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write about your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City.

I am delighted to hear that the bedroom had a positive impact on your stay. Also I will investigate the situation in the bar.

Thank you for your kind comments we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City.

Kind Regards,

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I stayed here as part of a hen party weekend and I can't fault the location at all, the hotel is extremely close Birmingham New Street station and the Bull Ring shopping centre, making it perfect for our needs. The hotel from outside is very dated but the inside was surprising as it was very clean and comfortable. The rooms were basic, slightly dated but a good size and serviceable.

It was impossible to get a good nights sleep in our room as we were facing the very busy main road below and constant noise of the traffic (and car horns honking solidly for 15 mins at 4am!) kept us awake for most of the night. Other members of our party did not have this problem as they had rooms on the other side of the hotel away from the busy road.

Breakfast was good, plenty of choice and variety and the staff were helpful if not overly friendly. If I needed to stay in central Birmingham again I would consider staying here but would make sure I had a room on the quieter side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room away from the main road
Dear nbarnett86,

have read your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City.

I am delighted to hear that the staff had a positive impact on your stay. I have posted a copy of your comments on to the staff board.

As you mentioned, we are located centrally, about 2 minutes walk from the New Street train station, surrounded with bars, clubs, restaurants, theatres and other attractions which are partly the cause of the noise issues from outside. We have a double glazing in each bedroom which complies with the required sound proofing standards. We are also working very closely with the Local Authorities (we are also partnered with the Southside BID) to address some of the issues within the area (noise, drunkness, lighting, security and promoting the area). We do now have wardens (employed by the BID) working 24/7 to deal with some of the issues.

It is also encouraging to read your comments about the breakfast service.

Thank you once again for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.