“Good Position for Station and the Bullring”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #65 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I've used this hotel many times when in Birmingham on business particularly due to it's position next to the office I'm visiting plus the reasonable cost. The area isn't particularly nice but it's very close to New Street station, the Bullring and the city centre. I usually walk to the Mailbox or Brindley Place to eat. Some of the rooms have been refurbished and are quite nice, some being large. Breakfast is typical HI fare and of reasonable standard. The bar is a bit dated, there is access to a balcony in good weather or for smokers, it is however in need of refurbishment. Thre are 2 lifts and often have a long wait at peak times. Rooms against the dual carriageway can be noisy due to night club.

Room Tip: Rooms against the dual carriageway can be noisy due to night club.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Dear BlackburnRovers,

Thank you for taking time to write your review.

We are working very closely with local authorities and Southside BID (Business Development District) to address those issues such us noise and drunkenness. We do have wardens working 24/7 to deal with some of the issues.

Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city center. I am glad you liked your room accommodation. It is my regret that you found problem with the lifts . We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to delight our guests.

Thank you once again, for your constructive comments.

Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,657)

Reviewed 23 August 2012

I had a company training course to complete at a branch which was in the bullring shopping centre. The hotel was really close to everything I needed. The staff were friendly and professional, The room was clean, with fluffy pillows and towels. Shower gel and shampoo are provided.The hotel serves an excellent english breakfast as well as a continental option. You can even have breakfast delivered to your room of you prefer. There is a bar attached to the restuarant which has a roof terrace attached to it for those who smoke. The prices were very reasonable for what you got. You will find a range of restuarants within walking distance if you prefer to go out for your evening meal, eating dinner at the hotel is also an option but room service is not cheap. I really enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: I stayed on a lower floor. There was no view but I did not need one. all floors were quiet. My work...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Dear Melanie191076,

Thank you for your review. . I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. It is always most encouraging to receive such feedback from our regular customers, such as you.

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed at the Albany hotel back in August 1987 for our wedding night,and i thought as a suprise i would try and book again because we were seeing a show at the birmingham hippodrome,we were give a fantastic executive room and much to my suprise an anniversary cake and card also wine and fruit had been left for us,this made it a fantastic and very romantic stay for us.I would like to personally thank Andrew who sorted this all out for me,in a world where everyone is too quick to moan about the service we receive i would like to sing the praises of the Holiday Inn Smallbook Queensway. I would recommend this hotel to everyone as i could not fault any part of our stay,spotless room ,food in bar breakfast all fantastic.Once again thank you all at Holiday Inn and look forward to staying with you soon,

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear roy w
Thank you for your lovely review on your recent stay with us, I am so glad everything went well and our staff have looked after you. We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back again soon. (why not wish them a happy anniversary again???)

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed here last friday night and for the price I paid (£35.00) was very pleased with the room. The car parking NCP is horrendously overpriced at £20.00 for an over night stay. Upon check out I was told there is another car park down in china town for £10.00 a night :-( Will park there the next time I stay here. I dont understand why the Holiday Inn can not offer clientele a discount for staying at the nearby NCP carpark.

Room Tip: If you are an O2 customer - use the pririty moments app to get a 35% discount :-) happy days
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear hanburyave

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write about your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City.

I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

Being a city centre hotel, the parking is limited at the site, but with plenty of car parks within walking distance. As you mentioned, we do have a concession with Apcoa car park as you know (currently at £10.00 per 24 hours). If you contact the hotel, we would be more than happy to give you directions, for your next visit.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Good location for Hurst St/Hippodrome/Gay-town..upgraded as one of their top loyalty customers...great away-from-the-front room made for a quiet clean great room with a safe and a lovely king+ size bed. Bathroom is petite (read small) making for larger room :) Good LCD TV too...everything I expect for a drinking weekend in Brum! My preferred choice when in Brum.

Room Tip: Higher floors NOT facing the road....
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank drdanielmacdonald

Dear drdanielmacdonald,

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night in an executive room. The location is good in that its central, but in A very rough area so if you've been out, it doesn't feel safe walking back.
The room was fine, got the things you need. The dispenser had run out of shower gel, and the management were efficient in bringing some up when we phoned down.
I would say the main issues revealed themselves when we got in from dinner. Our room was nxt to the lifts - executive rooms should not be, it instantly makes the room not an exec room. The noise is horrifying. I didn't get to sleep until around 5am, and this wasn't just the lifts. We were on the 8th floor, but might as well have been on street level as the noise from car horns, rowdy partygoers and general activity is immense. In addition to which, there was a huge row right outside our door and about 4am and something going on upstairs that other clientelle didn't want to listen to. Thin walls and poor windows.
This morning breakfast was of low quality. The bacon had no meat on and the sausages weren't great. My husband said the coffee tasted like dishwater...and he is a man that needs coffee in the morning. Staff were indifferent and left areas empty for long periods.
Wouldn't recommend and wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear LucyH186390

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your visit to Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay.

Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city center. I am glad you liked your room accommodation. It is my regret that you found noise from lifts . We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to delight our guests. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. Your review will be used to consider needed improvements and I hope that you can give us a chance in the future to show you what we have done.

Regarding the quality of breakfast, I am again sorry that you felt breakfast was not up to your expectations. I can assure you that the breakfast is cooked only by using fresh items daily. I will monitor this matter in detail and make the necessary changes where needed. Thank you again for your constructive comments.

If you contact the Hotel directly, we would be in a better position to address all your concerns. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Based very close to New Street Station, rooms are affected by the traffic noise, although rooms are slightly quieter at back of hotel. Good clean rooms variable in size & facilities. Reasonable selection at breakfast. But dinner quality in restaurant varies and on one evening food was sent back three times. The hotel is used by businesses for staff are attending conferences or city meetings. If I was staying in Birmingham out of choice rather than business I definitely would not stay here. Staff in reception area and concierge was very helpful and welcoming.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Dear heather W,

Thank you for taking time to write your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoyed your stay.

Concerning the Restaurant breakfast, it is very encouraging to receive your comments on the food quality. I am concerned to hear your comments regarding the dinner food quality and will carry out a full investigation in to this matter, to ensure similar incidents do not re-occur in future.

Thank you once again, for your constructive comments.