“Very impressed, had a lovely stay!”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #65 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Bath, United Kingdom
“Very impressed, had a lovely stay!”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a Friday night as we were attending a gig at the 02. I chose this hotel because of its location. It was a 5 minute walk from New street station, close to the Bullring shopping centre and Arcadian centre with lots of bars and restaurants nearby and a 5 minute walk to the 02 academy. The lobby was clean and inviting with pleasant and helpful staff. Our room was on the 6th floor and even though it was near the lifts it wasn't too noisy. We did hear the woman in the room next door talking though which shows the walls are quite thin. I really liked our room, the bed was massive and comfortable, the decor was stylish and modern and we had a nice big flat screen TV. The bathroom was clean and adequate for our needs and the windows did a good job of shutting out the noise from outside.

The only niggles were that the free Wi-Fi didn't work and there were no instructions as to how to activate it, I'm sure reception would have helped but I couldn't be bothered with the effort of calling them. Also if you wanted anything extra like a shower cap you had to go and get one from reception rather than it automatically being in your bathroom. When we requested this and more tea and sweeteners from reception it was no problem at all though.

The next day we had breakfast in the restaurant which was very pleasant and relaxed. There was a good assortment of food available. My husband had a cooked breakfast and I opted for the continental option - jam and thick, crusty bread and fruit with natural yoghurt...delicious! All the food seemed to be of relatively good quality considering this was a budget hotel. We pre booked breakfast so it worked out about £11 each which is expensive considering how much one person would probably consume during breakfast but it was convenient and there was nowhere that looked particularly inviting nearby so was the best option for us.

I would definitely stay here again as overall it was really good value for money and in a good location and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mrs_Ramjam
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

We are delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction. I am also so glad everything went well. I will pass your comments to our team.

Regarding the Internet; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay and a great service from our team I will pass the comments to my team to see if such problems doesn’t occur in the future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Amsterdam
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I stayed for two nights at the Holday Inn in the city center. Check in was ok, the staff was relatively friendly. The room I was given was extremly noisy due to the wind creating loud whistling on the outer structure of the building. I asked to change my room and within 5 minutes I was in a much more quiet room at the side of the hotel.
The second room was ok, only the noisy transport of the recycling truck was disturbing.
So in all an average business hotel, not a lot of thrills or surprises.
The location is good, both close to the main railway station and the city center.

Room Tip: Try to get a room to the backside or the side of the building and not the front facing the main stre...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

With regards to the noise from outside; I have taken this matter up with the Local Authorities as we do not have any control over the environment outside the building, yet it is also a great concern to us. As being a commercial property, there are set procedures when dealing with those incidents which require a lot time and forms to be filled in. To support our case with the Local Authorities, I will be sharing your invaluable comments with them. Being a City Centre property, you would expect to have some outside noise. Even though, we have experienced similar incidents last year, we can not inform all customers of what could happen, as this is not a regular issue.

Bassano Del Grappa, Italy
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I spent 5 nights here at Holiday Inn; check-in and check-out procedures were both extremely fast.
Room was nice and quite big; many sockets for power supply available. Safe box and tea machine available too. Nice bathroom with shower and bath. The wardrobe could be slightly bigger but enough; no drawers available.
The hallway is the only part of the hotel that needs a renewal; 2 elevators available.
I chose this hotel due to its position, 3 minutes walking from the New Street Train Station, the Aracadian centre and Bullring shopping center. I had dinner at the restaurant (The Albany) once: I had a T-bone steak, glass of red wine and a dessert. The t-Bone was not good.
The bar is spacious with nice furniture and big TV screen.
Likes:
position
room furniture and space

Dislikes:
background noise on room 824

Room Tip: Ask for high floors rooms in order to hear as less as possible the street noise. Room 824 has a back...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Michele B
Dear valued guest,

Regarding the Restaurant food; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay and a great service from our team I will pass the comments to my team to see if such problems doesn’t occur in the future.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

I stayed one night here in February 2013 as a speaker at a conference hosted by the hotel. Check-in and out was efficient and friendly. I ate in the bar in the evening and had a burger with fries which was excellent and they had zero alcohol lager at the bar which was great. The staff in the bar were very friendly and entertaining! I was on the 4th floor looking on to the multi-storey carpark and above a 24 hr (it seems) recycling centre. My room was clean and comfortable with good free wi-fi and a decent wall-mounted TV. The bath/shower area was a little tired and some of the tiling/grouting was ready for a refresh but not too bad. The bed was not rock hard like so many and I had a comfortable night apart from the noise... there were refuse/recycling trucks coming and going in the street below at what seemed un-Godly hours in the early morning with crashing, banging and much revving which I guess wasn't the hotel's fault but did affect my overall experience. Perhaps I was just unlucky. Breakfast and the conference facility however were very good including the buffet food and the attention of the staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that the room you were allocated and the staff was to your satisfaction. I will contact the premises next door as the noise is unacceptable at that time of the night. I will also pass your comments to our team.

Kind Regards,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

A large group of us recently booked to stay at this hotel for a friend's hen do and I was delighted with it. We booked well in advance to take advantage of their cheaper prices and were not disappointed. Having paid approximately £40 per room, I was not expecting anything flash but this hotel really was great. Our room was spacious and clean and staff were courteous. The location is excellent - just 5 minutes walk from New Street and close to the Arcadian for bars and restaurants. I would definitely recommend staying here if you are in Birmingham.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 5 March 2013

Kind Regards,

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel in May of 2012 and chose it because of its central location which was excellent, however there is no car park so we had to park in a multi storey somewhere down the road. Not ideal under any circumstance but particularly a struggle when you are 7 months pregnant and having to haul heavy bags across Birmingham. I would have expected a member of staff to pay courtesy to this and offer some assistance, to take my bags or to allow me to park in their private car park until I got myself sorted but nobody seemed to bat an eyelid.

The rooms were nice and modern with very large beds, the bar in the evening was nice to sit and have a drink, breakfast in the morning was also nice.

All in all, an average/pleasant stay, if the customer service were a little better I would have rated it higher.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Regarding the Parking issues; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay and a great service from our team I will pass the comments to my team to see if such problems doesn’t occur in the future.

Scotland
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the central Birmingham Holiday Inn for a week whilst on business.

The reception staff were friendly, efficient and very professional. Although my room was cold due to a heating unit problem, I was quickly moved to another, albeit smaller, room which was ideal.

In the room the usual LCD TV, kettle, iron with board etc were found, and the bathroom was nice and clean with a decent shower. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet thoughout the week.

Although I didn't use the main restaurant for dinner, the bar food was good and the staff were, again, friendly and helpful. Sky TV was available in the bar throughout the day.

The hotel's location is perfect for central Birmingham. It's a 3-4 minute walk to New Street railway station which is adjacent to the Bullring shopping centre. The train ride to Birmingham Airport is around 10 minutes and the transfer from the hotel front door to airport check-in was less that 30 minutes!

I would definitely stay in the Holiday Inn on any future trips to central Birmingham and would recommend the hotel to a friend.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay with us.

I am so glad you were happy with all aspects of your stay, and I will pass these on to all the staff at the hotel.

I look forward to seeing you again.