“Mostly Good”

Ranked #63 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
“Mostly Good”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Convenient for New Street station and easy walk access to city centre attractions. Pleased with price for what I got. Very pleasant and friendly staff throughout. Seems to have had a recent modernisation. Plenty of space in room for the two of us, clean and tidy, good carpet, fridge, firm bed, crisp linens. Breakfast well presented and well stocked no matter what time I went there.
Windows do open slightly for fresh air.R
Room 120 good for early risers as the sound of bin lorries echoed up the walls of the service road below at 6 a.m. even with double glazing and windows closed.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear were quiet and didn't hear any internal noise - but avoid being over the rear serv...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jpp4
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear jpp4

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel. It is always most encouraging to see such feedback regarding the quality of our bedrooms, equipment and food provided and the service from our staff. We will continue working closely with the neighbouring businesses and the local coucil authorities regarding the noise from deliveries outside. I am sorry to hear that this incident caused you some inconvenience.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed here last weekend, as I was in Birmingham for a party. I booked and paid for my room in advance. For room only, it cost £54 which I thought was a bargain, I wasn't sure if I was going to want breakfast in the morning, so this was the best option. (I did pay for a breakfast, which was well worth the money,)

As I am a Gold Priority Club card holder, I was given an upgrade to a room on the 5th floor, The rooms have improved greatly since I stayed here a few years ago. I was in a room at the rear of the hotel, so noise was not a problem, I was also given a voucher for a free drink in the bar. I had a wonderful nights sleep

I had to park my car in the NCP carpark, which cost me £12 (with a hotel discout!!!) I do think this is rather a lot to pay compared to other hotels.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend to others who want a night out in Birmingham

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rams_fan_11
Dear Rams_fan_11

Thank you very much for your kind comments about the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. It is always most encouraging to receive such feedback and it does give that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. I am also pleased to see that your PCR (soon to become a IHG Reward Club) status was recognised on arrival. Regarding parking, being a City Centre Hotel, we have a limited parking spaces available which require a pre-booking (chargeable). Alternatively, we are able to offer a 50% discount at the adjacent NCP car parks.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed her back at the beginning of May 2013 and I forgot to do my review. This was the third time we have stayed here and once again we had no problems. We had 2 separate reservations and I emailed ahead and we got to stay in the same room for all 4 nights. Check in was quick and friendly. We decided to have breakfast on the first morning we were there and got breakfast vouchers for £10 each (I think that's how much it was!!)
The room was spacious and we got a nice treat when we got in the room...we have complimentary water, orange juice and most importantly a choccie bar. This got replenished every day...I think it was maybe because I was a priority club member? Comfy beds, choice of pillows, lovely showers and clean rooms.
The room and hotel was clean and all the staff we meet we're friendly and helpful. We were there to attend a convention (3rd one at this hotel) and even the set up of the conference rooms were great and the staff were great to put up with 350 sci-fi geeks too.
There can be a bit f noise from outside but you have to remember that this hotel is in the city centre and you will get traffic noise and at the weekend you do here the revellers going about. But if you are use to city noise and can sleep through anything it won't really disturb you.
Overall this hotel is great for location and the staff were great

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper maybe ask for a room away from the Main Street.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank scottishsuzee
Fethi H, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.
I am delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction. I am also so glad everything went well. I will pass your comments to my team.
Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to write.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

Fethi Hmaissi
Operations Manager
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

First, the good: the room was comfortable and clean and the city Centre location very good. However, watch the traffic in that part of the city it is incredibly busy.
Now, the bad: expensive car parking charges, which were not pre-notified. If you don't book you'll end up in the NCP one around the corner. Breakfast is usual hotel expensive - find a good cafe nearby.
For an added unpleasant surprise (although this is probably a bit beyond the hotel's control) one of the guests on the first floor where our room was located was standing in the corridor covered in blood claiming she had been attacked, and the duty staff were dealing with her. This was mid-afternoon, so a bit unexpected.
Finally, the area just outside the main entrance, underneath the reception and on the Main Street, is used as a urinal by male drunks at about 11:00pm - somewhat off-putting when you get back to the hotel. I did report this to the on-duty staff at reception, but he didn't seem that bothered.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear Lamabads,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I am glad that you liked our location and found the room comfortable and clean. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with the prices. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Leeds
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is one of those hotels where you really wouldn'trush back to but there is nothing that stands out that I really disliked.

The outside of the building looks very depressing, I was under the impression it was recently revovated but didn't seem that way to me. The staff were plesant enough and reception did look really nice but that was it. The rooms are very bland - although mine was really big with a large bed and tv with enough space for a couple of chairs etc too. The bathroom was actually tiny which considering the size of the room was a little odd - you struggled to move around in there which I'm not that small so to anyone else would be even worse.

I think my main dissapointment was room service, I am quite lazy especially when I've been travelling all day but not wanting to sit in a restaurant by myself I decided to order in. I requested the burger and for some reason it came with crisps?! I get sandwiches with crisps but don't be that cheap where you can't actually put normal chips with your burgers - to make it worse the burger was awful, think I would have prefered to eat horsemeat than whatever beef that was meant to be!

I didn't attempt breakfast so can't really comment on that.

Considering the amount of hotels available in Birmingham I really wouldn't rush back here at all, it's got a good location from the train station perspective but I would not like to be walkign around there late at night by myself.

Sorry Holiday Inn it's just not for me.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Missfon88,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words for the staff. We are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience over room service and the food that was served. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Very close to the train station. Had a long trip and it was nice not to walk very far. Staff were very helpful and courteous. Spacious room with nice TV. Bed was comfortable and had a good nights sleep. Breakfast started early which was good as my meeting was at 8am. Staff were helpful on checkout and even gave me directions. I even had to contact them for a invoice after I left which they were able to email within a few hours so I could claim my expenses. Overall great stay and next time I'm in the area I will stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay with us.
I am so glad you were happy with all aspects of your stay, and I will pass these on to all the staff at the hotel.
I look forward to seeing you again.

Fethi Hmaissi
Operation Manager
Belfast, UK
Reviewed 17 June 2013

It's close to new Street Station, near the Hippodrome and Bull Ring, about 5 min walk from the main shopping area. If you need a place to stay in Central Birmingham, it's good value and does the job. If you want modern decor, reliable wifi and not to be next to a group who spent from 1am to 4pm the following day engaged in some form of "domestic" you may wish to look elsewhere!

I might stay again, but I would research other options first.

Room Tip: Go high...further from the traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear biochemist_dave,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. However, we are thankful that you enjoyed your stay despite some issues. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.