“Very good conference venue”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #65 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottingham England
“Very good conference venue”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hotel is well located a few minutes from New St. Station and walking distance for most of the city centre amenities. I was impressed with the running of this venue - plenty of space and break out areas. Plenty of iced water available that was replaced at regular intervals. Hot buffet lunch was very good, plenty of staff on hand to clear plates,deal with queries etc.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sarahweb1
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear sarahweb1,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am delighted that my team were able to deliver your expectations as a Conference Organisor and that we managed to deligt you and other delegates during your visit. It is always most encouraging to receive such feedback and it does give that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I have stayed at most of the Birmingham city centre hotels of major hotel chains. However, I always avoided this particular hotel due to the ugly looking and the Radisson is located right next to this hotel. I however gave it a try for this time.

Although I was upgraded to an Executive room as a Platinum member, I entered the room with no expectation (Sorry!). What a surprise! It was more than I expected, actually the room looked like Crowne Plaza's. Refurbishment seemed to be done recently. The room was also spacious though the layout was a bit awkward. This is because a big bed facing windows, which occupies most of the room space, a desk and a table & two sofa chairs do not properly fit the rest of space. This could be better, but I did not care too much. The room was very relaxing with decent amenities!

Soundproofing may be on a weak side, some people might get bothered. During my stay, some noisy guests were talking loudly in the corridor even after midnight, it was really annoyance.

All staff I spoke to were very pleasant, this hotel can be definitely one of the first options in Birmingham.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Uktrotter2007,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City and for your kind comments. I am happy to see that we were able to delight you with the internal decor of the Hotel, aminities and staff attitude. Until now, we have been given our concentrations to the interior of the Hotel which I believe the guests benefit more from. I am happy to inform you that we are now looking at ways to improve the overall outside look of the Hotel. During the refurbishment works, we installed double glazing windows throughout. I am also working closely with the Birmingham City Council to address any issues relating to the area, like noise. Please be assured of our best intentions at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Pickering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is a pristine hotel with spacious rooms, helpful and charming staff and good food. The interior belies the exterior - stepping inside reveals a bright, fresh and attractive environment throughout. A very good, good value, well located city centre hotel. Be prepared to park in the nearby public car park - on-site parking is very limited.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear jan I,

I am delighted to read your kind comments regarding your recent stay. It is always good to hear about the staff friendliness, quality of food and the facilities in general. As you mentioned, we have limited spaces for parking available which require a pre-booking in advance (chargeable), being a City Centre Hotel, but are happy to pass on 50% discount at the adjacent NCP Multi storey car park. We look forward to welcoming you back.

LONDON
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stayed here a few times as very convenient for New Street station and easy walk access to city centre attractions. Going through a bit of modernisation which is long overdue and I found the staff much better than in the past - really attentive and interested in ensuring my stay was good. My room was excellent with plenty of space, spottlessly clean, with a fridge, trouser press and iron, a good size bed with crisp linen sheets and a flat sreen tv with all the usual freeview channels. Air Con was great, but there was some noise breakthrough from outside (a problem I've suffered from previously at this hotel). My only complaint was the red flashing light on the fire alarm break-glass - drove me crazy til I found some Blue Tack!!).

Dinner was spot on with great service and a free drink because I had to wait for my meal (due to a large party who had ordered in front of me). I really didn't think I waited to long, but who was I to argue! Breakfast was as good with all you could want to set you up for the day. All self-service (seems the norm these days).

Go for a high floor / corner to get away from as much noise as possible.

Room Tip: See above recommendation
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear RandRI,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest visit. It is good to see that you have enjoyed the improvements we made to our Hotel and always encouraging to do it even better the next time. We are working very closely with the Birmingham City Council to address the issue with the noise outside and I am happy to report to you that we have had some success. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

crowland, lincolnshire, uk
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

I have graded this hotel as average which is the mid point, not because it is average, but because the rooms are good for a city centre Holiday Inn, but reception is a nightmare. Only two of five positions staffed despite people falling out of the reception area all trying to check in. I am amazed that hotels don't learn to put more people on the rota when they know they will be busy. I did check with the receptionist, after my 20 minute wait, to ensure that this wasn't a surge of last minute bookings. It wasn't. I asked what check out will be like tomorrow morning (I am writing this from my room). She had no faith the queue won't be worse still. The hotel does have my details (I have the highest grade of loyalty card) so will walk out and chase everything up later if the chaos continues.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Mozart21,

I am very sorry to hear about the queues you encoutered on arrival. We do our best to understand our customer movements daily and arranged to staff rosta accordingly. It is obvious that we failed on this day. I can assure you that this ''one-off'' incident will not re-occur in future. I know that you have already contacted the Hotel directy and that we are dealing with your concerns. Once again, please accept my apologies for the shortfall you experienced on arrival. we look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Nairobi
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Brilliant hotel with the perfect location. Very close to Bull Ring Shopping Centre and the nightlife in Birmingham. The rooms especially the executive ones were very well decorated and sizeable too. A good spread for breakfast.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are the best
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RKM466
Dear RKM466,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay. It is always good to see such feedback from our guests. I am delighted that we were able to accommodate all your needs from a Hotel and we look forward to welcome you back in future.

Switzerland
Reviewed 29 June 2013

In term of overall upkeep of the outfits, found that this hotel is only acceptable good; however, the services are friendly.

This hotel is located very close to China Town, Train station and shopping area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tfoo
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear tfoo,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit. I am delighted to hear your kind comments about convienent location of the property and the friendly staff. I am happy that we were able to accommodate your needs. When refurbsihing the Hotel, we concentrated mainly on the bedrooms and facilities within the Hotel and we are currently looking at ways to improve the outside look of the property.

Thank you for your valuable comments.