“One to avoid until 2015”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #60 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“One to avoid until 2015”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I am actually writing this review sat up in bed at the hotel at 8:30 on a Saturday morning.

Birmingham New Street is literally two minutes walk away which in the future will be a bonus for the hotel. At the moment Network Rail are redeveloping the station. We were awaken this morning at 7:45 by workmen hammering steel flooring, and they have continued to do so constantly since. The windows do nothing to block the noise.

When booking the hotel we received no notification of the work and possible noise disruption. My partner called reception to complain at 8:15. She explained the problem in detail, to which she got the reply "You have a problem with your remote?"

Why have someone answering a phone that can not understand English?

She finally spoke to someone who said we didn't know they would be starting so early...

Next thing to moan about is the breakfast. When checking in on Thursday we were told that the breakfast was £10.50 each. I felt this was expensive with the wealth of bars and restaurants nearby. I was then told on Saturdays it was buy 1 get 1 free. I said I would think about it.. Friday morning we decided that we would book for the Buy 1 get 1 free deal on Saturday. I was asked to pay there and then or if I wanted to pay on checkout. Luckily I said there and then cause he asked me for £15.95. I said I thought it was £10.50?? "No sir because its buy 1 get 1 free the price for weekends is higher at £15.95."

I'm sure the office of fair trading will be interested in this bargain deal. Surly they should be advertising buy two get £5.05 off?

• Stayed July 2013
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Andrew S,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. As you mentioned, the New Street Train station is undergoing a multi million pound investment which will add real value to the area when completed. Even though the authorities are doing all they can to ensure smooth running of traffic and noise control, it is likely to experience some noise between hours of 8am and 7pm. Regarding a staff member, I am sorry to see that you had a communication issue with this individual which we are looking into ways to improve. Concerning the breakfast, our selling price for breakfast is £15.45 (to include a 10% service charge). We have 2 seperate offers as follow. Monday to Friday at £10.50 if the voucher is purchased the night before and at the weekends, we have a 2 for 1 offer. Please note that we do not allow any offers to be used in conjuction with another offer. I believe this may have caused some confussion during your stay. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Hotel directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City in future.

Kind Regardrs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

i loved this hotel. It's literally 2 minutes from the station via the southside exit. I had no problems with the room and thought the bathroom especially was good. I didnt hear any outside noise and i found the staff as friendly as i wanted them to be. If i had an issue it would be the price of the restaurant. Breakfast is very pricey as was the buffet dinner. Apart from that i would definitely go back here next time im in Brum.

Room Tip: eat out to avoid the expensive restaurant
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear popstar1701,

Thank you for your kind review. It is always good to hear that your expectations were fully met and that the staff were able to fulfil your requests . I will ensure that all involved are also made aware of your kind comments. Regarding the Restaurant pricing, i would like to inform you that we have a very competitive 2 for 1 offer for the weekends (requires advance booking). We hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City in future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed on business with few colleagues. Parking is limited and expensive; Location is rough at night; Check-in took 15 minutes although it was pre-booked; Showers are tiny; Windows are not insulated enough so very noisy from outside; AirCon was faulty and nothing could have been done to reduce room temperature down from 30C; Breakfast dining room was boiling hot; Not even an apology from staff who occupied the cool lobby...
AVOID !!!

• Stayed July 2013
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear BAROSH,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to inform us of your disappointment with the shortfalls in service delivery standards. I am most concerned to hear your comments. i would be greatful if you could contact the Hotel, to allow us to investigate and make sure that similar incidents do not re-occur in future. We look forward to hearing back from you and hopefully welcoming you back in future.

Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Manchester UK
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Stayed here during a business trip and found it to be in a great location (right next to New St depending on which way you exit the station), the room was clean, had air con (which was much needed) and quiet (8th floor). Didn't eat here so can't comment on the food. The staff were very helpful. Would stay here again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear PantsCat,

Thankyou for kind comments regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am delighted that we were able to accommodate your expectations. It is also good that the staff have excelled in delivering your needs. We hope to welcome you back in future.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Visited here on a three day business trip to Birmingham. Location very near to New Street Station was very good. The room was very clean but at the front of the hotal and was a bit noisy at night. I would recommend asking for a quieter room. The breakfast is good but at £13 I would recommend going out somewhere cheaper - I can get the same breakfast in London for £5! So have decided never to have one of their breakfast again simply on the over the top price. I would stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Barry A,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. Being a City Centre Hotel, despite our best effords, some outside noise can be expected which is outside our control. Having benefitting from double glazed windows throughout, the Hotel usually is not affected. We also offer a competitive rate for our breakfast if purchasded the night before. We will be more than happy to give you possible options for booking breakfast, if you would like to contact the Hotel. We hope to see you back in future.

Kind Regardrs
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I generally stay at this hotel when in the city and have to say they are good! Yes it is a Holiday inn and the rooms are not perfect but you’re not paying 5 star prices. Front Desk know my name and it does make a difference when they say hello!
The rooms are clean and generally not badly kept. It is city centre locations so do expect noise at the weekend at the front of the hotel! If in doubt, see if you can be moved to the back. Don’t be put off by door staff at the weekends checking who coming into the , they are polite and there to keep certain people out! It doesn’t mean the hotel is rough, just safe! Generally it is a well price hotel and would say to stay here if in Birmingham. Location is near to New St station and car parks very near to hotel. Hotel is near the main night life, restaurants and Bullring is only a short walk. Bar is big but I wouldn’t say eat here as there are loads of other places nearby at a better price.

Room Tip: Watch weekends at the front of the hotel with noise!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Mark W,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your experiences at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. As a City Centre Hotel, we tend to treat the safety and security of all guests, buildings and staff very highly. All our staff have been trained to highest possible standards and will try to go out of their way to help your stay a memorable one. Our location also helps when the customers are looking to stay in the middle of City Centre with easy access to many attractions and businesses. I am happy that you recognised our hard work and become a regular at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Southern England
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Close to New Street Station but hard to find with the buiding works going on around station. Not impressed on check in, staff busy checking each others work and a big prom do on so kept waiting after long journey not a good start. Room spacious and clean, good towels, coffee making. View over busy city and night life. On 3rd floor still got street noise with window open but has aircon. Restaurant has to be the worst high prices poor waiting staff and food very disappointing. Breakfast average and staff workinghard to restock as very busy. Nice bar with terrace great on hot evening but suggest you eat out in one of the many choices in town.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank travell_a_lot
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear travell_a_lot,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. The New Street Train station is undergoing a multi million pound refurbishment works which affects the traffic arrangements around the Hotel. I am glad to hear that you were happy with the bedroom and aminities supplied. As you mentioned, we also had a prom party on the night which put pressure on my team on the day. I am very sorry for the shortfalls you experienced at Reception and the Restaurant and have asked my team to review procedures to eliminate similar incidents in future. I would be delighted if you decide to come back in future and I am confident that we will re-gain your confidence in our Hotel.