“Dont offer free wifi if its so slow that it does not work”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #65 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Free wifi but not working and no other internet connection
Rooms are noisy and would need to be redone
Very small bathroom and no water pressure in the shower
Beds are old
In other words go elsewhere...

Room Tip: High flooe not on main rozd
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Kev M,

I am most concerned to hear your comments following your recent visit and would like to investigate the shortfalls in detail in order to ensure we can eliminate such issues re-occuring in future. I would very much appreciate if you could contact the Hotel with further details of your experience. In the mean time, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Hotel and the room is very nice . After returning from a late night dinnet I discovered the room key was not working, then had to wait a long time at the reception because the front desk staff was on a long call and could no attend to my need all which could have been sorted out in 30 seconds ! At the end ... was smiling and did not even apoligised for my long waiting. That was the least the pesron could havee done.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Neroth J,

Thank you for reviewing your latest visit to Holiday Inn Birmingham City and for your kind comments about the Hotel and the room allocated to you. I am sorry to hear that you had issues with your bedroom key and that the way it was dealt with. I can assure you that this ''one-off'' incident will not re-occur in future and please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed here several times now and always seem to have a different type and size and shape of room. In past i have been allocated a disabled room, a room on a low floor that was big but dark, a premier room that was huge but things weren't working and tv was miles away from bed, and this time the smallest room i have seen in a hotel of this standard.
It was stuck down the very end of a corridor and was tiny. Basically enough room just to walk around the bed, and the bathroom you had to close the door behind you to get access to the sink it was so small. Also the shower curtain was very smelly and the wifi reception was terrible.
That aside, its still my choice to stay as so central, and staff always helpful and location is perfect. People who complain about road and outside noise - its a hotel slap in the middle of a city centre - what do you expect ? I will just be mindful of which room im allocated next time !

Room Tip: from my experience ya never what your going to get so if u reach room and find its no good, ask to s...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Adam R,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your experience at Holiday Inn Birmingham City. Our bedrooms can be in different shape (depending on where the bathroom is located in the room) but i can assure you that all our rooms do comply with a minimum requirement of 12.5sqm. If you have a favorite bedroom, we will be more than happy to do our best to allocate the same room for you where possible. I would appreciate if you could contact the Hotel to inform us of your choice for bedroom style. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

I am actually writing this review sat up in bed at the hotel at 8:30 on a Saturday morning.

Birmingham New Street is literally two minutes walk away which in the future will be a bonus for the hotel. At the moment Network Rail are redeveloping the station. We were awaken this morning at 7:45 by workmen hammering steel flooring, and they have continued to do so constantly since. The windows do nothing to block the noise.

When booking the hotel we received no notification of the work and possible noise disruption. My partner called reception to complain at 8:15. She explained the problem in detail, to which she got the reply "You have a problem with your remote?"

Why have someone answering a phone that can not understand English?

She finally spoke to someone who said we didn't know they would be starting so early...

Next thing to moan about is the breakfast. When checking in on Thursday we were told that the breakfast was £10.50 each. I felt this was expensive with the wealth of bars and restaurants nearby. I was then told on Saturdays it was buy 1 get 1 free. I said I would think about it.. Friday morning we decided that we would book for the Buy 1 get 1 free deal on Saturday. I was asked to pay there and then or if I wanted to pay on checkout. Luckily I said there and then cause he asked me for £15.95. I said I thought it was £10.50?? "No sir because its buy 1 get 1 free the price for weekends is higher at £15.95."

I'm sure the office of fair trading will be interested in this bargain deal. Surly they should be advertising buy two get £5.05 off?

• Stayed: July 2013
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear Andrew S,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. As you mentioned, the New Street Train station is undergoing a multi million pound investment which will add real value to the area when completed. Even though the authorities are doing all they can to ensure smooth running of traffic and noise control, it is likely to experience some noise between hours of 8am and 7pm. Regarding a staff member, I am sorry to see that you had a communication issue with this individual which we are looking into ways to improve. Concerning the breakfast, our selling price for breakfast is £15.45 (to include a 10% service charge). We have 2 seperate offers as follow. Monday to Friday at £10.50 if the voucher is purchased the night before and at the weekends, we have a 2 for 1 offer. Please note that we do not allow any offers to be used in conjuction with another offer. I believe this may have caused some confussion during your stay. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Hotel directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City in future.

Kind Regardrs

Reviewed 20 July 2013

i loved this hotel. It's literally 2 minutes from the station via the southside exit. I had no problems with the room and thought the bathroom especially was good. I didnt hear any outside noise and i found the staff as friendly as i wanted them to be. If i had an issue it would be the price of the restaurant. Breakfast is very pricey as was the buffet dinner. Apart from that i would definitely go back here next time im in Brum.

Room Tip: eat out to avoid the expensive restaurant
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear popstar1701,

Thank you for your kind review. It is always good to hear that your expectations were fully met and that the staff were able to fulfil your requests . I will ensure that all involved are also made aware of your kind comments. Regarding the Restaurant pricing, i would like to inform you that we have a very competitive 2 for 1 offer for the weekends (requires advance booking). We hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City in future.

Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed on business with few colleagues. Parking is limited and expensive; Location is rough at night; Check-in took 15 minutes although it was pre-booked; Showers are tiny; Windows are not insulated enough so very noisy from outside; AirCon was faulty and nothing could have been done to reduce room temperature down from 30C; Breakfast dining room was boiling hot; Not even an apology from staff who occupied the cool lobby...
AVOID !!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Dear BAROSH,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to inform us of your disappointment with the shortfalls in service delivery standards. I am most concerned to hear your comments. i would be greatful if you could contact the Hotel, to allow us to investigate and make sure that similar incidents do not re-occur in future. We look forward to hearing back from you and hopefully welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Stayed here during a business trip and found it to be in a great location (right next to New St depending on which way you exit the station), the room was clean, had air con (which was much needed) and quiet (8th floor). Didn't eat here so can't comment on the food. The staff were very helpful. Would stay here again

Dear PantsCat,

Thankyou for kind comments regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am delighted that we were able to accommodate your expectations. It is also good that the staff have excelled in delivering your needs. We hope to welcome you back in future.