“Great for City Breaks”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #67 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel through Booking.com for £57 a night. At this price the hotel is great value.

The room we stayed in was spacious and nicely decorated. The bed was small, but in fairness we knew it was a standard double when we booked. The extractor fan in the shower had a large amount of dust on it, which was a shame as the room was spotless otherwise.

The hotel bar is expensive (no surprises there!); you are better off going to the Arcadian which is a few minutes away.

The hotel is well located near the Bullring, the Arcadian, The Mailbox and Broad Street. Nowhere is more than 10 minutes walk.

• Stayed: August 2013
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear FrancescaD80,

Thank you for reviewing your latest visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am delighted to hear that we were able to deliver your expectations from a Holiday Inn. Please accept my sincere apologies for what must have been the ''oversight'' from the Maid cleaning the room (Dust in the shower vent). I can assure you that we are taking very direct action to ensure this matter does not re-occur in future. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Arrived at the hotel after a long day and late night at work and was pleasantly surprised at the speedy check-in and the well decorated (and sizeable) room. At 10pm, the bar menu provided adequate choice of food, and was quick to serve. I appreciated that the pillows were labelled hard and soft, as it meant I didn't have to toss and turn trying them all out, and I had a great nights sleep. Given the hotel is relatively close to the construction works at the station, I didn't hear a thing, which was great!
Breakfast was the standard hot/cold buffet, with a good variety of choice. I have to admit, when I saw the "help yourself" tea and coffee urns I was concerned, but the coffee was better than expected.
All in all, impressed with the staff and accommodation, however, having witnessed a few table resets at breakfast, I would have to suggest that the breakfast staff should clear all items from a used place setting, not just the ones they clear on plates (ie if there's a knife left, clear it, as you don't know if it has been used, dropped etc!).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Gemma L,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent visit to Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the arrangements for your stay, especially the choice of pillows provided for your comfort. Following your constructive feedback regarding cleaning of breakfast tables, I am currently monitoring my breakfast team and will ensure that we take a direct action to eliminate similar issues for future. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

This hotel was ideal for my business trip. The ac in the room was very effective and pretty quiet. The reception staff were very polite and courteous. The buffet breakfast was all good too. All in all I would not hesitate to go back.

Dear SpiceyRicey,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent visit to Holiday Inn Birmingham City. It is always good to hear that all our effords have not gone with being noticed. I am delighted that we were able to deliver all your expectations from a Holiday Inn. We hope to welcome you back in future.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday evening during a summer heatwave. On the day I was to check in there were demonstrations in Birmingham City Centre itself.
The above notwithstanding the staff were professionalism itself when we checked in, calm, unhurried and polite.
The hotel was quiet and peaceful.
The room was spacious, very clean and air-conditioned so it was cool and welcoming.
Despite being above one of the busiest streets in the city centre and only being on the first floor there was little or no outside noise to interfere.
Breakfast was good, unhurried and nicely presented.
A very pleasant experience.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Manclady,

Thank you very much for your kind comments following your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. It is always most encouraging to receive such feedback and it does give that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. I will ensure your comments have been communicated to the staff. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Free wifi but not working and no other internet connection
Rooms are noisy and would need to be redone
Very small bathroom and no water pressure in the shower
Beds are old
In other words go elsewhere...

Room Tip: High flooe not on main rozd

Dear Kev M,

I am most concerned to hear your comments following your recent visit and would like to investigate the shortfalls in detail in order to ensure we can eliminate such issues re-occuring in future. I would very much appreciate if you could contact the Hotel with further details of your experience. In the mean time, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Hotel and the room is very nice . After returning from a late night dinnet I discovered the room key was not working, then had to wait a long time at the reception because the front desk staff was on a long call and could no attend to my need all which could have been sorted out in 30 seconds ! At the end ... was smiling and did not even apoligised for my long waiting. That was the least the pesron could havee done.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Neroth J,

Thank you for reviewing your latest visit to Holiday Inn Birmingham City and for your kind comments about the Hotel and the room allocated to you. I am sorry to hear that you had issues with your bedroom key and that the way it was dealt with. I can assure you that this ''one-off'' incident will not re-occur in future and please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed here several times now and always seem to have a different type and size and shape of room. In past i have been allocated a disabled room, a room on a low floor that was big but dark, a premier room that was huge but things weren't working and tv was miles away from bed, and this time the smallest room i have seen in a hotel of this standard.
It was stuck down the very end of a corridor and was tiny. Basically enough room just to walk around the bed, and the bathroom you had to close the door behind you to get access to the sink it was so small. Also the shower curtain was very smelly and the wifi reception was terrible.
That aside, its still my choice to stay as so central, and staff always helpful and location is perfect. People who complain about road and outside noise - its a hotel slap in the middle of a city centre - what do you expect ? I will just be mindful of which room im allocated next time !

Room Tip: from my experience ya never what your going to get so if u reach room and find its no good, ask to s...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Adam R,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your experience at Holiday Inn Birmingham City. Our bedrooms can be in different shape (depending on where the bathroom is located in the room) but i can assure you that all our rooms do comply with a minimum requirement of 12.5sqm. If you have a favorite bedroom, we will be more than happy to do our best to allocate the same room for you where possible. I would appreciate if you could contact the Hotel to inform us of your choice for bedroom style. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.