“Consistently good ”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #68 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I started an 18 month training course in January which has led to me staying in Birmingham 8 or 9 times so far this year and all but one of these stays have been at the Holiday Inn (they were outside works price range the other time).

The reasons why I always stay here:

Location - perfect for New St station and the Bullring (and about 5 doors down from my course!)

Service - reception staff are always friendly, polite and helpful when checking in and out. A couple of specific points. The first time I stayed here I realised quite late that I'd forgotten my toothbrush, but a quick trip to reception and I was given one for free. Another time I left my phone charger in my room but after getting in touch I spoke to someone from housekeeping and they arranged for it to be left at reception on the day of my next visit.

Rooms - rooms vary, some are better than others but they have all been at least satisfactory (my last stay on 14-15th Nov was room 404 which was very nice). They all have 42" flat screen TV's, big and comfortable beds, a small desk, tea, coffee etc... And most have both a bath and shower although I've stayed in the odd one with just a shower, which I should add is very nice and powerful!

I've stayed 3 times the night before I've had exams and had no problem with noise, the lowest floors have wooden partitions in front of the windows which help. The only problem I had with noise was one room had a connecting door to the adjacent room and I could hear the talking and TV from next door, luckily they weren't overly noisy!

Finally breakfast - awesome, I always treat myself to a full English when I stay. There is lots of choice, the breakfast area is nice and not overly crowded and the quality is always good.

So for all the above reasons, I'd highly recommend it and will definitely be staying here myself a few more times (Am already booked in for next exam in Jan)

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear D_Gaskell,

Thank you for your kind and detailed review following your recent visits to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am glad to hear your kind comments regarding the location, amenities and bedroom stock, food and especially service delivery standards and friendly staff throughout. It is always most encouraging to receive such feedback and it does give that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with my team and have posted a copy on our staff notice board. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,620)

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel on a mini break with my husband.This hotel is very conveniently located near the bullring shopping centre just a short walk away , also the Main Street is just 5 mins walk as well.The hotel room deco was very modern and you could appreciate that it had been recently decorated.Everything was immaculately clean. Found staff pleasant except for one of the receptionists who told us that we would be charged £30 for early morning checkout.We were very grateful that the night shift did not have a problem checking us out in the evening therefore we did not have to pay this fee. Thank god they were nicer than that lady .I would recommend that she smiles more often as this will attract more guests.Other than that I would highly recommend this hotel when visiting Birmingham!!

Room Tip: I would advise to request a room on the upper floors as these are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear pat187510,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Regarding the issue with the early morning check out; I believe this was a misunderstanding by my staff, as they thought you were departing early (rather than simply settling your bill). I can assure you that your comments have been taken on board and fully addressed with the Hotel team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

First visit on 1st October. Really enjoyed the overnight stay. Good value at bar and at last they are appreciating free wifi is a standard commodity which cannot be charged nowadays. Found staff friendly and helpful although should be clear about type of room being offered.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Brian G,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that we were able to deliver your expectations from a Holiday Inn. I have passed your kind comments on to all staff. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Does what it says but let down by its drab 60's exterior and the architectural and traffic nightmare that is central Birmingham so hard to recommend unless you really need to stay in this area. My room on the second floor was large and recently refurbished, bed a little deformed, but room quiet in spite of being near the elevator. Car park is close but expensive. The hotel offers a 50% discount on validating the parking ticket but employers in the area may do the same and with a higher discount. Didn't try the breakfast but had a beer and 'special' in the bar (chilli con carne), nothing to remember.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Eddie06,

Thank you for your recent review following your visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am glad to hear that we were able to deliver your expectations from a Holiday Inn. regarding the exterior of the Hotel, so far we have concentrated our refurbishment works to the interior of the property where we believe is more beneficial to guests. We are now looking at ways to improve the outside façade of the Hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My parents stayed here for 3 nights. As I read the reviews about noisy rooms, I booked a quiet room which wasn't a problem and they got a quiet room on a high floor.

The rooms are not huge but have a decent size with a really big kingsize bed. The whole hotel and the rooms are very clean and I would say functional. There is nothing special but everything a guest needs is there.

The only thing which really needs to be changed is regarding the hairdrier! It is hidden under the table. My parents looked for it quite long, couldn't find it and eventually left the hotel with wet hair. Later I looked for it quite long and wanted to gave up already when I found it, more by accident. So there should be at least a sign with an arrow "Hairdrier under the table" or something like that!

The room was quite quiet but Birmingham is a big city and the hotel is situated in the city centre so there are sirens and other noise.

All in all a good functional hotel but in my opinion a bit overprized on weekends as there is nothing special about the hotel.

Dear S-Nicole-B,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am glad to hear that you found the Hotel to be offering everything you would expect from a Holiday Inn. Your comments regarding the hair dryer has been taken on board. We hope to welcome you and your parents in future.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

To endorse what other Tripadvisors have already said, this is a very clean and friendly hotel, ideally located, for us, between the station and the Hippodrome where enjoyed three evenings of superb opera from Welsh National Opera.

We agree that it would be wise to ask for a quiet room, as Friday night was a tad noisy. However, the large bed, with a choice of pillows, and good light exclusion curtains made that bearable. We had 241 breakfast on the Saturday morning that was great value.

We'll definitely come again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear malaita,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the Hotel team as such feedback gives that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

There is nothing especially flashy about this hotel but it delivers. Access by car is a bit of an issue but this has much more to do with local traffic management and given its very central location to be expected. It could benefit from slightly better signposting of the adjacent NCP car-park which is not visible on approach.

Check in was efficient. The room was large and had all that was required including space to place ones luggage, a table to write at. It has the potential to be an excellent hotel if the use of space was better thought out. There is certainly enough room for a larger bed and the bathroom has enough space to also accommodate a separate shower rather than the over-bath affair with curtain.

Minor criticisms are the way the hair-dryer was hidden below the writing desk, the heated towel rail behind the loo (careful if you lean back when sitting on the throne) which also obscured access to the flush. The toiletries were just some squeeze bottle of liquid soap which seems a bit cheap.

Positives were the excellent and quiet air-con, OK sound-proofing and bed comfort and there were no major flaws. Staff were helpful in general it a tad over-efficient at breakfast, where used dishes and cutlery were whipped away as soon as they looked empty with little prospect of you having a refill. The breakfast food was on the better side of average with a good variety except for the coffee which came from a single large vat which was only just drinkable.

Having tried a number of other places in central Birmingham, this one is one I will happily use again. I hope they develop the space they have in their rooms to better effect in the long term.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MikeJL59

Dear MikeJL59,

Thank you for your constructive comments following your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I really appreciate your detailed comments and have taken the liberty to pass them on to our architects for future planning of our bedrooms. I am glad to hear that we were able to deliver your expectations from a Holiday Inn and you would happily use our Hotel in future. We hope to welcome you back soon.