“£159 for a shoebox”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #64 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The hotel is conveniently located near to Birmingham New Street train station but then so are many other hotels.

I stayed in room 627 and I expected more than a shoebox for £159!

The bathroom was tiny as well.

WIFI was shockingly slow and two elevators service a number of floors which means a long wait and a long elevator ride if you are above the 3 floor.

I also thought the breakfast was OK - the coffee was weak and the hot food I found to be quite greasy.

Would I stay again - no.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Malachi W
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear MalachiWilliams,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay. We would be more than happy to look in to your comments at the Hotel level in detail, should you wish to talk to us directly.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Had a twin room booked for us by someone else so wasn't sure what to expect. Check in was as expected, quick and friendly.
The room itself was good, with a clean bathroom and a big tv. Beds were firm but i didn't have trouble sleeping.
Only two downsides: the walls must be paper thin as i could hear other guests in the rooms around me going to the toilet and sighing (yes really!) and the traffic outside. Given it's central location, there's not much that can be done about that point.
The location is superb as you have everything around you. Park next door in the NCP and have the hotel stamp it to get half price parking.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GemPepp

Dear GemPepp,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that we were able to deliver your expectations from a Holiday Inn. Being located in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, even though the Hotel benefits from double glazed windows, some external noise can be expected. I will again raise your concerns with the Local Council at the earliest opportunity. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

After being met by the most surly male receptionist (wouldn't hurt to welcome your guests or crack a smile would it?) we thought it couldn't get worse! Have stayed in this hotel several times and never had a problem, but this time from the frosty checking in (maybe gay couples aren't welcome?) to the noisy room (second floor, opposite the lift), the way too small bed (I never remember them being this small, it was no more than a bigger version of a single bed) it was an irritating and uncomfortable stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Dee C,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some shortfalls in the service delivery standards. As your comments also suggests that this was the fist time you experienced such shortfall. We would appreciate and welcome any further comments from you, if you could please contact the Hotel directly. We hope to welcome you back in future.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Having booked into the Hotel at the last minute, I was very impressed with the check in and the helpfulness of the staff. Very quick and efficient. I was in my roon within five minutes of arrival.

Immaculately clean room with a great big comfy bed, well equipt with a small desk/dressing table, and a ideally sized plasma with a good choice of TV channels. Being completely shattered I opted for room service and a night of TV, I had the burger from the menu, which was generous and of good quality. I ordered a beer to accompany my meal and was pleased to receive a pint of fosters as opposed to the small bottles often experienced in the past.

I had a great nights sleep followed by a good breakfast, apart from the hash browns which tasted a little like they had been reheated.

On balance, I would recommend this hotel for its service and comfort and above all the less than five minute walk from New Street Station, the theatres, bars and restaurants. I will be returning.

Room Tip: I would suggest a high room to avoid traffic noise, I was on floor 6 and had no problems.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear buzz1981,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be friendly and efficient. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the Hotel team, as such feedback always gives that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I have rated this based on the fact that most places must be average given the definition of the word. Too many VG's and O's on trip advisor. So you will find a warm friendly hotel with clean rooms and personable staff. Greta location 1 min walk to new street and close to China Town. Parking overnight in most local multi storey is a bit of a rip off but not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank plaistowboy
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear plaistowboy,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am glad to hear that we were able to deliver your expectations from a Holiday Inn and that you found the staff to be personable. Being a City Centre property, parking is limited. We are happy to pass on 50% discount to all our guest using the nearby NCP. We hope to welcome you back in future.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here during the weeks of the Christmas German Markets.
The location is very central; very near to New Street station; all of the shopping streets and big shopping malls, restaurants etc. We only had a short stroll up to the Chritmas Market adjacent to the city hall.
We had a very spacious comfortable room; the staff were welcoming; and the breakfasts were good too. It may look tired on the outside, but the location is what it is all about.

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet room on a higher floor, as some rooms will naturally be street facing.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear ADE_travels,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you found the Hotel to be offering everything you would expect from a Holiday Inn and that the staff were friendly. It is always good to hear such feedback and gives that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Happily stay here again as its reasonable . Pleaseant experience above average in everyway, good location sky sports here etc breaky decent (hashbrowns and bacon crap though) but huge selection good eggs and buffet fresh orange for once fruit etc

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear meadowbank123,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that we were able to deliver and exceed your expectations from a Holiday Inn. I will also discuss your comments regarding the breakfast quality on certain items with the Head Chef to address your concerns. We hope to welcome you back soon.