“No Complaints - Two Years in a Row”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #65 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I've stayed two years in a row for the Birmingham Spring Fair at the NEC. Close to New Street Station, shopping, Chinatown, and other restaurants. Easy walking to pubs. This year on the 9th floor, very quiet, clean, spacious room. The wi-fi worked very well in the room. The front desk staff were all friendly and helpful regarding restaurant suggestions, taxis, and other support. The bar serves up Fosters and Guinness on tap, and offers up a variety of meals to choose from. The breakfast buffet is ample including several hot and cold selections. I won't hesitate to stay here again next year.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Queensway can be quite noisy with street traffic.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear AdventureLass,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that we, once again, were able to accommodate your expectations from a Holiday Inn and that you found the Hotel, staff and facilities to your liking. Such feedback always gives that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,657)

Reviewed 28 February 2014

The rating is a blend of a perfectly good hotel in terms of room, service but coupled with noisy location (even numbered rooms might be better) and completely inadequate sound-proofing. We stayed Friday & Saturday nights and a combination of noisy clubbers and horns tooting kept us awake beyond 4am. Breakfast buffet good, staff friendly and located near New Street station but outweighed by noise.

Room Tip: Avoid odd numbered rooms because of noise
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear mikehandel,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoyed your stay due to noise issues from outside the Hotel. Being a City Centre property, even though the Hotel benefits from double glazed windows throughout, it is possible to experience some noise issues. I will take this matter up with the Birmingham City Council at my next meeting as this matter comes under their remit. I hope this incident has not marred your opinion of us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for the first time last year in January . We were on the 5th floor in just a 'standard double' room. It was perfect , really modern bathroom with walk in shower, the bed was so comfy , tv was great and most of all the location is right by the train and bullring shopping centre. We decided to stay again here in February this year justa couple of weeks ago (valentines weekend) for a change we booked a 'deluxe double room' on the 7th floor. We didnt hava walk in shower but still a fab modern bathroom! The bed was amazing , the room was extremly spacious with a mini bar , free robes and slippers to use for our stay. We always see when we go here wed never go to another hotel. The location and rooms in the hotel are perfect we really love this place!

• Stayed: February 2014
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear K1993S,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted that you and your boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed the arrangements for your stay and that we were able to deliver and exceed your expectations from a Holiday Inn. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the Hotel team as such feedback really encourages the team to drive for quality. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just back from a one night stay in a double room on the 6th floor. Excellent and speedy check in by friendly staff. Nice decor in both reception, the bar and the room. It looks recently renovated. Huge bed, great mattress, 6 super comfy pillows and a nice tog duvet, dressed in crisp white bedding. Room was very clean, nothing was out of place. Nice touch was a desk. Big Samsung Smart TV, excellent reception. There were plenty of coat hangers and an iron and an ironing board in the wardrobe. The room was front facing and I could barely hear the traffic down below, tilt the windows open though and the road is busy and noisy. Bundles of big towels in the smart bathroom. I've knocked one point off because of the pressure in the shower. Ive stayed here before and the pressure in the older (over the bath) showers was the best I have ever experienced. In the refurbished walk-in showers it wasn't brilliant. The hotel was quiet, the lifts were quick. Free wi-fi was available in the rooms, but the bandwidth made for a hit and miss experience on my phone. However that didn't detract from an excellent stay in a hotel offering super value for money. I paid less than £50.

Room Tip: I can't see any reason why you would need to upgrade to "Executive". My mate did and...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear joathanstafford,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that we were able to deliver all you come to expect from a Holiday Inn. I am also pleased to inform you that we have recently upgraded our internet service and now are able to deliver up to 512Kbps download speed on our complimentary wi-fi and up to 100MB on our chargeable service (currently the fastest for our area). I have taken the liberty to share your kind comments with the Hotel team as I strongly believe that such feedback gives that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed here on the 15th/16th February and was very impressed by everything. Reception staff were very friendly and check-in was speedy. Our room was of a high standard and plenty of tea/coffe in the room. The biggest plus was the Buffet Breakfast. 2for1 or 2 people for £15. I have stayed at a lot of hotels and none could match the range of hot/cold food available. The quality again was very good. I ant to stay again very soon. I have read some negative reviews and wondered if these people stayed at the same hotel as me. Well done.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear markssxx,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the reception staff to be friendly. Also good to hear that you took advantage of our ''2 for 1'' offer for breakfast. It is always most encouraging to receive such feedback and gives that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the Hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Great location outside Newstreet Station which was ideal for me as my meeting was across the road. Foyer is very welcoming, plush and obviously recently updated. Room was large, bed comfortable with a large flat screen tv on the wall. Only complaint is you can't really watch it when in bed as it doesn't swivel out. Minor quibble as there is an armchair to sit on. Room was a bit cold even after adjusting the heating controls. The restaurant was very nice although I had a bar meal in the lounge bar. I ordered a pizza which was mediocre to say the least. I slept ok but was awaken around 4am with noise from outside with deliveries etc. I suppose I should expect this in the city centre. Breakfast was very nice with a really good choice of cooked or continental. I wouldn't hesitate to go back but would ask for a room at the front if possible.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear rigomortis,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that we were able to deliver your expectations from a Holiday Inn and that you found our Hotel to be located ideally for your trip. Please also note that I will be taking your comments to the Birmingham City Council at my next monthly meeting. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Second stay here and very good. My room was a very good size with very good amenities in the room - good desk space to work at and good lighting. Both times my room was comfy and very clean.

Service was really good as well, but the meeting areas are a bit dowdy and tired and not as good as the rooms. Location is very good - short walk from the Bullring and just down the road from New Street Station - just make sure you come out if the right exit.

The bar was surprisingly reasonable on price, which was a new one on me for a hotel.

My main complaint is the same for all Holiday Inns - why do they label pillows firm and soft when they are all firm? There is no difference and they are not comfy. Does my head in. I have marked down sleep quality for this reason.

I would stay he's again because it's good value and you get a very nice room for your money in a good location.

If they put a small gym in I would be over the moon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Andrew R,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you found the Hotel to be clean, offering a freindly and efficient service with a good location. I have also noted your comments regarding the pillow tags and will be passing them on to IHG's ''Brands Team''. Regarding mini gym facilities, even though I am not able to commit a date, I can inform you that we are looking at ways to implement a mini gym at the Hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon.