“Great hotel at a great price”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #63 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Cork, Ireland
“Great hotel at a great price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights and needed to be near New Street train station which is located just around corner. Rooms were good for the price. Bed was comfy. Staff were friendly. Would stay here again if in Birmingham.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear cj1111,

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that we were able to deliver your expectations from a Holiday Inn. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Recently wrote a review about another hotel in the city centre when it should have been for this Hotel, all I can say is that this Hotel was great for the night we stayed here with good clean bedrooms, excellent staff, & good location next to the railway station rounded off with a very good breakfast, nothing was too much trouble when asking for directions etc for our night out @ the concert we were going to, would definitely be staying here again next time in Birmingham.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear BullitU_k,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your latest visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the hotel team, as it is always most encouraging to receive such feedback and it does give that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

This Hotel is not overly impressive. Located next to Chinatown and just along from New St Station it is not in the best of areas and after taking a short walk outside after dinner I very quickly returned to the sanctuary of the Hotel. It states on the website that Parking is available but it doesn't actually mention that this is an adjacent NCP Car park which is very expensive. Fairly basic standards and basic rooms, not unpleasant, just ordinary. Breakfast was excellent with a nice selection and helpful friendly breakfast staff and a lovely bowl of fresh porridge set me up for the day. This good start to the day was unfortunately ruined with my check out experience at Reception which was unbearably slow. There was only one poor chap on Reception at what must have been the busiest period with a queue of guests waiting to check out in the morning. I waited literally 25 minutes in the queue before being attended to and by this time my patience was at an end. On challenging the poor flustered chap on reception about the understaffing at this peak period he was very apologetic stating that the General Manager had the rest of the staff in a staff meeting!! Oh really? For future reference Mr General Manager, it is unadvisable to have staff meetings at the busiest time of day for Reception and this poor planning really did detract from your guests experience of the Hotel with a number of us very unhappy!

Room Tip: Leave plenty of time for check out!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom K
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Tom K,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoyed your stay, even though you found the quality of breakfast food and service excellent. Regarding the information about parking; our website contains all the information you need, including current parking charges. I can only presume this was not seen by you. http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/gb/en/birmingham/bhxwm/hoteldetail.
I would also like to thank you for your constructive comments regarding your check out experience. Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls you experienced. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

British tourist
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

nice , clean and bright room but you really need to get more double glazing. This is a central birmingham hotel and looks over a busy road and has a number if casinos nearby that chuck out in the early hours? This together with the drivers penchant for hooting their horns at 3am on a Sunday morning is pretty taxing when you are trying to sleep. I know hotels in London have 'double' double glazing and if this could be put it the hotel would have got a 'very good'.Its very near New St station and restaurants and bars around the canal about 5-10 minute walk.Give it a few weeks and John Lewis will be across the road too.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear tiredtrippers,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am glad to hear that you found the hotel facilities to your liking. Regarding the noise from outside; even though the Hotel benefits from double glazed windows, being located in the heart of Birmingham City Centre makes it very challenging when dealing with such issues. I will take your comments to my next meeting with the Birmingham City Council, as well as discussing your suggestion for ''double-double'' glazing with the Directors of company for future refurbishment plans. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Title says it all, inexpensive hotel close to NEC/airport. Lovely swimming pool/spa/jacuzzi. Good value evening meal, excellent breakfast. Room as expected, no complaints. Car parking not cheap at £8.50, however if that's the only negative,

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear stevprop,

Thank you for your recent review. I just want to ensure that you are reviewing the correct hotel as currently we do not have any leisure facilities onsite and we are located in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, not by NEC/Airport.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed here with a group of friends, the location is very good- 5 minutes from the Bullring, still needed a short taxi to the nice bars at Brindley place but the hotel arranged those for us upon request. The decor is really nice, you can tell it is recently refurbished, but when we got to the room I got a nasty surprise- I stood on a used condom wrapper that was just under the bed and the maid obviously missed after doing a not very thorough job of cleaning the room after the previous guests! Really not impressed! There were a few other bits they'd missed too so we were quite disappointed. When I requested the taxis to take us out later that evening the reception was now manned by 2 young men, one made a lewd comment to me and both quite literally stared at my chest for the 10 minutes I was in the foyer! This made me and my friends feel really uncomfortable and even a little unsafe which is not nice in a hotel (fortunately the day time staff were friendly, helpful and professional) The next morning breakfast was fine- just the usual annoyances such as only one toaster and running out of plates/pastries even though we'd gone down early. When we checked out I mentioned my 'find' in the room and the man on reception looked genuinely shocked and was very apologetic, but ultimately that was that, the impression of un-hygienic rooms will stay with me and may well put me off staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear MrsMase,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We always welcome such constructive feedback which also helps us monitor ourselves and make the necessary changes. I would very much appreciate if you could contact the Hotel directly, to allow us to get more details from you. We hope to welcome you back in future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Needed somewhere to say for a business trip and if you're on a budget this pretty much hits the mark.
Good size room and bathroom, both recently renovated judging by the quality of the decor. TV remote was dead, but maintenance replaced it within 5 minutes. Room service was also speedy and good quality (shame about the £3 tray service)I had a room on the 8th floor so traffic noise not an issue and there was a great view!
On the downside, one of the two lifts was out of order, so there was quite a wait and when the lift did arrive it was a bit of a squeeze. The aircon in the room was noisy (even when off??) and the breakfast was very crowded when I went down (about 9) so I gave it a miss, grabbing some fruit instead.
Having said that, this will remain on my short list for hotels in Birmingham when I next visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear braebod,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that we were able to deliver your expectations from a Holiday Inn. I am sorry that the lift could not be repaired by the maintenance company in time during your stay. I can confirm it is all back to normal operation now. We hope to welcome you back soon.