“Great central location. Excellent service”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #66 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel is right next to New Street Station, and very close to the shops, canals and other areas of town. great location.
I was welcomed as a Platinum Member for IHG and given a free upgrade. The service was very good.
The room was very spacious, and comfortable.
Breakfast was 2 for 1 on the weekends at £15 and there was plenty of choice.
It was quiet during the night too on the 6th floor, although my one window did not shut properly - this was not an issue for me.
If you can get a good price I would definitely recommend this central hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a higher up floor to avoid road noice (although not that excessive)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Micgp,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you found the Hotel to be offering everything that you would expect from a Holiday Inn. I am also encouraged to hear that your Platinum status was recognised on arrival. I can also confirm that the remedial actions have now been taken to the window you raised in your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here for the weekend a couple of weeks ago, our first time at this hotel and what a good choice. The location is excellent for New Street station only a five minute walk or the NCP car park which we chose is next door to the hotel who offer a 50% discount on parking so 24 hours is about £12. The other good thing about it's location is the Mail Box is about ten minutes walk then along the canal to Brindley place with some great restaurants and then to Broad street .Shopping is just as accessible with the Bullring just a short walk from the hotel. The room was of good size, nicely decorated, comfy bed and pillows and a nice bathroom with toiletries supplied. We had a drink in the bar which is not overpriced and on a nice day you can sit on the outside terrace. We had a cooked breakfast which was very good although the breakfast room is a little on the small side the food was excellent especially the hot buffet and I mean hot and freshly cooked. We would definitely re-visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: The views aren't great but if you ask for the front facing it's not to bad higher up.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear julie w,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you and your partner thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the Hotel to be offering clean, nicely decorated large rooms and amenities, freshly cooked breakfast served at breakfast and reasonably priced bar with terrace. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel is a short 2 minute walk from the New Street Station and close to the main shopping centers - there are plenty of places to eat and drink but unfortunately we were unable to do this... (Read on to find out why) The rooms are a little dated and need some attention - but the halls are modern and bright. We were on the 8th floor and the outside noise is still a bit loud, but nothing that you can't sleep through.

I stayed here for a weekend with my partner and decided to treat ourselves to an executive room - wished we hadn't bothered. The room was unclean and there was heaps of dust on top of the headboard and in the ventilation fan inside the bathroom - looks like it hadn't been cleaned for weeks.

When we went to check in, we were greeted by the receptionist, who was pleasant enough but this must be to cover up the fact that she cannot do her job correctly. We were told they needed our card details (the ones we booked the room with) as this would be hold on record in case we needed to charge anything to our room - we were then told "NO MONEY WILL BE TAKEN FROM YOUR CARD" several times, before agreeing and entering my card over.

It wasn't until the evening came, and I went to take cash out that I realized they had taken money from my account as a 'deposit' for the room. When I pointed this out to the other receptionist, all she said was that "oh, the girl should have told you that this would have happened" and wasn't very helpful at all - after pointing out that we had been lied to and were not impressed as we were now £50 down, all we were told is that the money would be released after we checked out and would take up to 4 days to be put back into my account. She then had the cheek to tell us that they hadn't actually "taken money from us, but the bank had put a hold on it" - this in my mind still means I cannot spend my own money!!

This now meant we then had to choose between having a couple of drinks after our concert on the Friday night or saving the rest of the money we had for our night out the next night - so we ended up spending a night in at the hotel - which is not what we should have done!!

I should have been told about this 'deposit' before handing my details over and I am absolutely appalled by the staff member who lied and the receptionist who didn't seem to give two cares... Will definitely not be staying with this company again which is ashame because they were perfect to stay with when we visited London.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room and make sure it's clean!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kimberley M

Dear Kimberley M,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay as planned. Requesting authorisation of payment method is a common practise in many major Hotel groups which allows you to have a credit facility during your stay. I know that you have already contacted the Hotel as well as the IHG Guest Relations department and your comments have been fully addressed. Thank you for your constructive comments and I hope this incident has not permanently marred your opinion of us.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The Birmingham Holiday Inn was a bit of a shock when my taxi pulled up to it. The front corner of the building is not the best looking. When I saw the main entrance I felt better. Once inside the staff and building was nice. My room was on the 9th floor, clean and moderatly decorated though showing signs of wear. The main hall was being painted and looked wonderful. Overall my stay was nice, quiet and a good sleeping. I as there for 6 nights on business.

Room Tip: higher floors are more quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Orchard609,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. As you noticed that we have concentrated our refurbishment works internally (as we believe it is more beneficial to our guests) so far but now planning our 2 stage of refurbishments work externally to improve the overall look of the property. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I have just spent the last 2 nights at holiday inn city centre bham . It's in a fantastic location only 2 minutes from New street station and I was at an exhibition at the NEC so me and 18 colleagues stayed here and got the train to and from NEC which on the virgin train is only 1 stop away.
The staff are very helpful and welcoming and today I had not got up in time to have breakfast but they happily offered to make me a bacon sandwich to take away , they put it In a takeaway box and also some fruit and a serviette .
The room was very comfy and the bed was huge ! I was given an upgrade to an executive room as I am a gold member so I have better toiletries , free wi fi , dressing gown and bottled water and a kit kat as extras .
The hotel is walking distance to the theatres and to excellent restaurants in the mail box and the bull ring .
Highly recommend

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Joanne M,

Thank you for your excellent review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and most importantly you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. It is always most encouraging to receive such feedback and it gives that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Lovely, comfortable hotel and nice friendly cleaners too. So close to city centre and so noisy on the Saturday night but that is football fans and revellers for you but stay was good so would probably stay again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear wwalker100,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that we were able to deliver your expectations from a Holiday Inn. Even though the Hotel benefits from double glazed windows, being located in the heart of UK's 2nd largest City, you can expect to find some external noise, especially at the weekends. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have been visiting Birmingham on business for the past 10 years have tried most of the hotels under £70 a night within 20 minutes walks of New Street. This spring I spent a night at Holiday Inn Birmingham City. It was quite simply the best nights sleep in 10 years of visiting the city hotels. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly; from the restaurant to reception there was a clear pride in their work. The food quality was acceptable and the choice good and the room standards and cleanliness outstanding for the price. If you are on business and on a limited budget there is no point in looking further. This balances value, with comfort and customer satisfaction-a very good combination. It also just 10 minutes easy walk from New Street station.

Room Tip: Book on line before arrival. This is a popular hotel. If you turn up hoping for a vacancy prepare to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Redbishop,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you found the Hotel to be offering good quality food and amenities, clean and comfortable rooms and most importantly friendly and helpful staff to assist you throughout your stay. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the Hotel team as such feedback always gives that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We hope to welcome you back soon.