“Central hotel”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #66 of 119 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here for a concert at the 02, very close for this venue, a 10 minute walk through subways which I wouldn't want to walk through at a quiet time at night but at the times we did they were busy and ok, although I was with my 11 year old son and it was late as the concert turned out a lot of people were using the same route to go back to New street station or car parks.
The hotel was clean, and the staff helpful, checked in at 14.00hrs which seemed to be a busy time as we had to wait in a queue for a while.
At night the room was hot so left the window open, as it's centrally based in Birmingham this did mean a lot of noise so I did have to shut the window during the night due to traffic noise, but this is expected in this location.
Overall it was great for what we wanted, somewhere close to the 02 for one night, near New Street Station.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank blubirdi
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear blubirdi,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be friendly and the Hotel to be clean, as expected. We hope to welcome you back in future.

Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,659)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Great city centre location, which creates a bit of a problem if you are on the front of the hotel as the traffic and people noise seems to go on all night.
however did not sleep too bad, and the breakfast was certainly good value as was the price of the room which was well appointed, clean and comfortable.
50% off New St car park a bonus.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Badger541,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that the busy night life in the surrounding area did not have negative impact on you. We hope to welcome you back in future.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed here last weekend and found it to be one of the best of the brand. The the bar and restraint was well laced out and appointed and reasonably priced. The rooms are clean and bright and the beds very comfortable. The only downside is that there are no club or executive rooms.

Room Tip: Two minutes walk from the station and well situated for the main attractions..
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Iain D,

Thank you for your excellent review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We have a number of executive bedrooms available at the Hotel but may have been sold on the night as they are very popular. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed here to attend an event at the Hippodrome - could not have been better positioned. I took the train to Birmingham New Street - the hotel was a 5 min walk away (exit Southside / Hill Street and you'll see the hotel on your left) and a further 5 min walk away to the Hippodrome on the same street further past the hotel. Plenty of parking if you are driving. There's a huge taxi rank if you're going further afield. Hotel itself is a basic, good value business style hotel - nothing fancy but my room had all the amenities (albeit no toiletries), was clean and spacious, decent shower, good lighting and the staff were courteous and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear ThroughPassenger,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you found the Hotel to be offering everything you expect from a Holiday Inn, and most importantly you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I have passed your comments on to all concerned. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel is right next to New Street Station, and very close to the shops, canals and other areas of town. great location.
I was welcomed as a Platinum Member for IHG and given a free upgrade. The service was very good.
The room was very spacious, and comfortable.
Breakfast was 2 for 1 on the weekends at £15 and there was plenty of choice.
It was quiet during the night too on the 6th floor, although my one window did not shut properly - this was not an issue for me.
If you can get a good price I would definitely recommend this central hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a higher up floor to avoid road noice (although not that excessive)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Micgp,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you found the Hotel to be offering everything that you would expect from a Holiday Inn. I am also encouraged to hear that your Platinum status was recognised on arrival. I can also confirm that the remedial actions have now been taken to the window you raised in your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here for the weekend a couple of weeks ago, our first time at this hotel and what a good choice. The location is excellent for New Street station only a five minute walk or the NCP car park which we chose is next door to the hotel who offer a 50% discount on parking so 24 hours is about £12. The other good thing about it's location is the Mail Box is about ten minutes walk then along the canal to Brindley place with some great restaurants and then to Broad street .Shopping is just as accessible with the Bullring just a short walk from the hotel. The room was of good size, nicely decorated, comfy bed and pillows and a nice bathroom with toiletries supplied. We had a drink in the bar which is not overpriced and on a nice day you can sit on the outside terrace. We had a cooked breakfast which was very good although the breakfast room is a little on the small side the food was excellent especially the hot buffet and I mean hot and freshly cooked. We would definitely re-visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: The views aren't great but if you ask for the front facing it's not to bad higher up.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear julie w,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you and your partner thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the Hotel to be offering clean, nicely decorated large rooms and amenities, freshly cooked breakfast served at breakfast and reasonably priced bar with terrace. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel is a short 2 minute walk from the New Street Station and close to the main shopping centers - there are plenty of places to eat and drink but unfortunately we were unable to do this... (Read on to find out why) The rooms are a little dated and need some attention - but the halls are modern and bright. We were on the 8th floor and the outside noise is still a bit loud, but nothing that you can't sleep through.

I stayed here for a weekend with my partner and decided to treat ourselves to an executive room - wished we hadn't bothered. The room was unclean and there was heaps of dust on top of the headboard and in the ventilation fan inside the bathroom - looks like it hadn't been cleaned for weeks.

When we went to check in, we were greeted by the receptionist, who was pleasant enough but this must be to cover up the fact that she cannot do her job correctly. We were told they needed our card details (the ones we booked the room with) as this would be hold on record in case we needed to charge anything to our room - we were then told "NO MONEY WILL BE TAKEN FROM YOUR CARD" several times, before agreeing and entering my card over.

It wasn't until the evening came, and I went to take cash out that I realized they had taken money from my account as a 'deposit' for the room. When I pointed this out to the other receptionist, all she said was that "oh, the girl should have told you that this would have happened" and wasn't very helpful at all - after pointing out that we had been lied to and were not impressed as we were now £50 down, all we were told is that the money would be released after we checked out and would take up to 4 days to be put back into my account. She then had the cheek to tell us that they hadn't actually "taken money from us, but the bank had put a hold on it" - this in my mind still means I cannot spend my own money!!

This now meant we then had to choose between having a couple of drinks after our concert on the Friday night or saving the rest of the money we had for our night out the next night - so we ended up spending a night in at the hotel - which is not what we should have done!!

I should have been told about this 'deposit' before handing my details over and I am absolutely appalled by the staff member who lied and the receptionist who didn't seem to give two cares... Will definitely not be staying with this company again which is ashame because they were perfect to stay with when we visited London.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room and make sure it's clean!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kimberley M

Dear Kimberley M,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay as planned. Requesting authorisation of payment method is a common practise in many major Hotel groups which allows you to have a credit facility during your stay. I know that you have already contacted the Hotel as well as the IHG Guest Relations department and your comments have been fully addressed. Thank you for your constructive comments and I hope this incident has not permanently marred your opinion of us.