“3 star hotel, 0 star service. ”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #63 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London
“3 star hotel, 0 star service. ”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Booked an executive room for 4 nights. Room OK and bathroom very small with little water pressure in the sink. Plenty of hot water though.
The problem with this hotel is the way the rooms are (or not) serviced. Dirty, wet towels that were left in the bath for replacement were simply hung back on the towel rail, toiletries were never replaced, used cups were moved around but not cleaned, the complimentary water was not replenished and the carpet wasn't vacuumed at all.
When a fault with the lighting was reported to reception it wasn't passed on to the maintenance team which meant more hassle later in the evening.
The room wasn't cheap but the service was.
Very disappointing.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank PeteLondon99
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear PeteLondon99,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry to hear that you had reasons not to be happy with your stay. It is only by receiving such feedback that we are able to monitor ourselves and make the necessary changes. I would appreciate if you could contact the Hotel directly with further details in to the shortfalls you mentioned. Please ask for Duty Manager who will be more than happy to take notes which will give us the chance to look in to this matter in detail. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
Reviewed 23 May 2014

As an IHG platinum member I booked the holiday inn for my third stay in Birmingham. Previous stays involved the Indigo and then the Crowne Plaza. First off I must acknowledge there are all very different offerings in price and standard.
The check in was good, efficient, friendly and informative.
We had booked the best room standard and were given the key to an executive room. Got to be honest we are underwhelmed by what we got, I doubt very much we got what we booked as this cannot be the best standard. It also looked very different to the pictures on the web site. As my wife highlighted, you often stay in hotels where the bed calls to you, this place did quite the opposite the bed was small, looked terrible and was not comfortable.
The room was clean and well presented. The bathroom was small and needed a proper clean, white tiles with mouldy grout are not inviting. The room looked as though it had been part renovated. Some things new something's still old worn and tatty.
We used the bar which was spacious but rather formal and sterile. The outside seating area is a great addition and would benefit from some investment it could be used much better.
We were room only so didn't try any of the meals.
This is far from a bad hotel there was nothing wrong with our stay but it was all a bit lacklustre and not really befitting a 'couples night away'. In hindsight the standard room at the crowne plaza totally out performs the exec rooms at the holiday inn and would be our return choice next time we are in Birmingham.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear docscooter,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. It is always good to receive such detailed reviews which gives us the chance to monitor ourselves and make the necessary changes. As I was not able to locate your booking (due to not having your contact details), I would appreciate if you could contact the Hotel directly to allow us to investigate your comments in detail. Please ask for a Duty Manager who will be more than happy to take notes. Please also note that you will experience different standards between Indigo, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn brands. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stay in many IHG Group hotels and as a rule I found this one pretty average. My room was clean, and well kept. My bed was comfortable with it being an executive upgrade spacious with a good sized television. I did find the shower cubicle small and cramped despite the fact the shower itself was first class.
I went for breakfast and was happy with the quality and choice, being pretty much standard Holiday Inn. The problem I had was(Whether I just went at a bad time)the room seemed to small for the guests. Each table was almost on top of the next, and a general bun fight to get food, toast etc.
My only other disappointment was the parking. I was recommended to use the NCP at the back of the hotel. I got parked on the 5th floor. With the lift being broken and to be honest looking pretty done and in my opinion probably not in use much. Lifting my bags up five floors of stairs is not a problem for me but anyone older it may be a problem.
I did say this to the man on the desk, who simply said this is not our problem it is with NCP - I would think it is!
The cost of parking also took me by surprise - I has to pay a discounted price of £12.05 - At this price I probably should of stayed at the Indigo in the centre of town nearer the restaurant areas.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear KenM553,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. It is always good to receive such detailed reviews which give us the chance to monitor ourselves and make the necessary changes. I am glad to hear that you found the room to your liking. Regarding breakfast seating arrangements, please note that we are in progress of planning our next faze of refurbishment works where we will be implementing ''Open Lobby'' concept at the Hotel. Once completed, all guests will benefit from much relaxed, comfortable and modern public areas throughout the Hotel. Concerning the parking, we only have a limited parking (8 spaces which will not be available after refurbishment works) for the hotel but are able to pass on 50% from NCP car parks. I have already contacted the managers of NCP with your comments and will closely monitor the situation. Please accept my apologies on behalf of NCP. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Pershore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Awesome hotel great atmosphere in the bar but beware the steak in the hotel restaurant, not very good. Rooms are great and the function facilities are well managed for exhibitions. Breakfast is superb and to top it all its adjacent to the Bullring Shopping Centre. Great stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you get your parking ticket registered and discounted at the front desk, NCP is very expen...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Steve A,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I have taken on board your comments about the steak. I am sure we will be able to improve on the area you mentioned. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed for just one night after attending a concert. Great value for money. Excellent location - just 2 minutes walk from New St sation and very close to the Bullring for shopping.
Reception staff very friendly and helpful. You can leave bags securely both prior to check in and after checkout.
Room quality was good. Clean, comfortable and with all your standard facilities you would expect - tea & coffee, fridge, safe etc. (would have been nice to have a biscuit too!)
Breakfast was good - self service with a good selection of cereals, fruit etc, and good hot buffet.
Would definately use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Higher floor at the back of the hotel if you don't want too much noise
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Amanda T,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear your kind comments, especially about the friendly and helpful staff. Such feedback gives that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time and I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the Hotel team. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent stay for a good price. Stayed for one night and was upgraded to an executive room. Room was big, really comfortable bed and decent sized quality flat screen tv. Minor comments are the bathroom is quite small for the room and the breakfast is fully self serve. Great location and friendly desk staff on check in/out. As others have pointed out it's noisy if you open the windows but the air-con works well and is quiet.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Seanos1,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay fully. Being located in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, some external noise is expected, especially at the weekends. As you mentioned, the Hotel benefits from double glazed windows and air-conditioning throughout which can be utilised instead of opening windows during noisy times. We look forward to your next stay.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a concert at the 02, very close for this venue, a 10 minute walk through subways which I wouldn't want to walk through at a quiet time at night but at the times we did they were busy and ok, although I was with my 11 year old son and it was late as the concert turned out a lot of people were using the same route to go back to New street station or car parks.
The hotel was clean, and the staff helpful, checked in at 14.00hrs which seemed to be a busy time as we had to wait in a queue for a while.
At night the room was hot so left the window open, as it's centrally based in Birmingham this did mean a lot of noise so I did have to shut the window during the night due to traffic noise, but this is expected in this location.
Overall it was great for what we wanted, somewhere close to the 02 for one night, near New Street Station.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank blubirdi
Dear blubirdi,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be friendly and the Hotel to be clean, as expected. We hope to welcome you back in future.