“Brilliant stay, definitely visiting again.”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #63 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Brilliant stay, definitely visiting again.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed in this establishment for the duration of the Birmingham Pride festival in a twin room. The room and en suite were brilliant, very clean and very modern.The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was filling. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely be returning in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Charlie M,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel to be offering good quality food with amenities to match and most importantly, staff to be friendly and helpful. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the staff as I believe such feedback does give that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was my first stay at Holiday Inn. Reception was very slow - about 15 minutes to check-in but the staff were friendly. My room was on the second floor at the end of a long corridor next to a fire escape - there was a rather unsavoury smell in the corridor outside my room. The room itself was clean (odorless!) and well equipped. Free WiFi gave reasonable speeds. Room service was prompt and food good quality. My real problem (as others have also stated in reviews) started at about 4am the following morning. The bin lorries, recycling lorries etc arrived in abundance. That was it - there was no chance to sleep - even with the windows closed the noise was unbearable. So I was very tired for my day at work which defeated the object of staying away really. So, my advice to anyone staying there - avoid rooms at the back of the hotel like the plague and, if you have to no choice, then make sure you get a room sufficiently far away from the road. If it weren't for that I would have rated this hotel higher.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back of the hotel like the plague and, if you have to no choice, then make sure y...
Dear Geoff A,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly. I am also sorry to hear that you were not completely happy with your stay mainly due to delivery vehicles making such a noise at early hours of the day. Please be assured that I am actually dealing with this matter personally as this is caused by a neighbouring business which require very tactical approach. I am confident that this matter will be eliminated very soon. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great Place in Central Birmingham right on door step of Birmingham New Street Station. A regular stop for me on business trips. Staff friendly and good breakfast. Dinner menu is ok but doesn't vary that much. Executive rooms very large and comfortable although room service menu cold be improved. It is basically a nice comfortable hotel

Room Tip: Try to get executive room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Miles B,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you find the executive rooms to your liking, and rate the quality of breakfast highly with friendly staff on duty. I have taken your comments regarding dinner menu selection and room service menu on board and will be discussing it with the Head Chef when planning our new menus soon. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on business during mid May. My room was on the second floor facing the back of the property, at the end of the corridor.
Problem 1- The view out of the window was directly into the NCP car park + a building work walkway straight outside the window. So basically if the curtains are open, there are multiple views into the room.
Main Problem 2- NOISE! I was woken on both evenings I stayed by early hours deliveries to the rear of the hotel (truck reversing beeps/ doors slamming) & very noisy collection of glass bottle recycling at ~3am. :-(

Good point 1- Good breakfast for £10 if you pre-book and get a voucher from reception
Good point 2- Good service from the staff.
Good point 3- NCP car park is immediately at the rear of the hotel. Rate is good if you get your card discounted. I think the hotel reception might do this. My office had a £7 per day rate.
Good point 4- powerful hot shower.

If/ when I stay again I will definitely be asking for a room at the front of the hotel, probably on a higher floor. Might go to 4 stars when I get a good nights sleep.

Dear PL123,

Thank you for your detailed review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I can see that you were happy with the quality of food served at a reasonable rate, amenities in your room and friendly staff on duty. I am sorry to hear that you also experienced some issues mainly with noise caused by early pick ups. I can assure you that I am personally dealing with this matter as it is actually caused by a neighbouring business. We are also planning a large refurbishment of the Hotel which will change the overall look of the Hotel and will add many new features. We hope to welcome you back soon.

London
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Booked an executive room for 4 nights. Room OK and bathroom very small with little water pressure in the sink. Plenty of hot water though.
The problem with this hotel is the way the rooms are (or not) serviced. Dirty, wet towels that were left in the bath for replacement were simply hung back on the towel rail, toiletries were never replaced, used cups were moved around but not cleaned, the complimentary water was not replenished and the carpet wasn't vacuumed at all.
When a fault with the lighting was reported to reception it wasn't passed on to the maintenance team which meant more hassle later in the evening.
The room wasn't cheap but the service was.
Very disappointing.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank PeteLondon99
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear PeteLondon99,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry to hear that you had reasons not to be happy with your stay. It is only by receiving such feedback that we are able to monitor ourselves and make the necessary changes. I would appreciate if you could contact the Hotel directly with further details in to the shortfalls you mentioned. Please ask for Duty Manager who will be more than happy to take notes which will give us the chance to look in to this matter in detail. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

UK
Reviewed 23 May 2014

As an IHG platinum member I booked the holiday inn for my third stay in Birmingham. Previous stays involved the Indigo and then the Crowne Plaza. First off I must acknowledge there are all very different offerings in price and standard.
The check in was good, efficient, friendly and informative.
We had booked the best room standard and were given the key to an executive room. Got to be honest we are underwhelmed by what we got, I doubt very much we got what we booked as this cannot be the best standard. It also looked very different to the pictures on the web site. As my wife highlighted, you often stay in hotels where the bed calls to you, this place did quite the opposite the bed was small, looked terrible and was not comfortable.
The room was clean and well presented. The bathroom was small and needed a proper clean, white tiles with mouldy grout are not inviting. The room looked as though it had been part renovated. Some things new something's still old worn and tatty.
We used the bar which was spacious but rather formal and sterile. The outside seating area is a great addition and would benefit from some investment it could be used much better.
We were room only so didn't try any of the meals.
This is far from a bad hotel there was nothing wrong with our stay but it was all a bit lacklustre and not really befitting a 'couples night away'. In hindsight the standard room at the crowne plaza totally out performs the exec rooms at the holiday inn and would be our return choice next time we are in Birmingham.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear docscooter,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. It is always good to receive such detailed reviews which gives us the chance to monitor ourselves and make the necessary changes. As I was not able to locate your booking (due to not having your contact details), I would appreciate if you could contact the Hotel directly to allow us to investigate your comments in detail. Please ask for a Duty Manager who will be more than happy to take notes. Please also note that you will experience different standards between Indigo, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn brands. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stay in many IHG Group hotels and as a rule I found this one pretty average. My room was clean, and well kept. My bed was comfortable with it being an executive upgrade spacious with a good sized television. I did find the shower cubicle small and cramped despite the fact the shower itself was first class.
I went for breakfast and was happy with the quality and choice, being pretty much standard Holiday Inn. The problem I had was(Whether I just went at a bad time)the room seemed to small for the guests. Each table was almost on top of the next, and a general bun fight to get food, toast etc.
My only other disappointment was the parking. I was recommended to use the NCP at the back of the hotel. I got parked on the 5th floor. With the lift being broken and to be honest looking pretty done and in my opinion probably not in use much. Lifting my bags up five floors of stairs is not a problem for me but anyone older it may be a problem.
I did say this to the man on the desk, who simply said this is not our problem it is with NCP - I would think it is!
The cost of parking also took me by surprise - I has to pay a discounted price of £12.05 - At this price I probably should of stayed at the Indigo in the centre of town nearer the restaurant areas.

Dear KenM553,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. It is always good to receive such detailed reviews which give us the chance to monitor ourselves and make the necessary changes. I am glad to hear that you found the room to your liking. Regarding breakfast seating arrangements, please note that we are in progress of planning our next faze of refurbishment works where we will be implementing ''Open Lobby'' concept at the Hotel. Once completed, all guests will benefit from much relaxed, comfortable and modern public areas throughout the Hotel. Concerning the parking, we only have a limited parking (8 spaces which will not be available after refurbishment works) for the hotel but are able to pass on 50% from NCP car parks. I have already contacted the managers of NCP with your comments and will closely monitor the situation. Please accept my apologies on behalf of NCP. We hope to welcome you back soon.