“Better than last time”

Ranked #61 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Better than last time”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Positioned in a better room over looking NCP which is far quieter than being above the bar/road side .... Room was standard as expected ... I would rather HI supply better quality soap rather than the cheap wall dispenser type. Clean room and a good nights sleep ..

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Phil N
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Phil N,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am glad to hear that you found the room (at the back of the hotel) to be more suitable for you. Regarding soaps dispenser, I will pass on your comments to the brand central as we are only following the standards set by IHG. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed for one night and had a room on the second floor at the back of the hotel. The room itself was nice and clean. The only problem was the sound proofing. I'm not a particularly light sleeper but I was woken up a few times in the night by loud voices and doors banging. I didn't need an alarm to wake me up in the morning as the sound of the maid vacuuming the room above was so loud she could have been in my room.
The hotel is in a good location for Birmingham New Street Station and the Bullring.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank moth4thestar
Dear moth4thestar,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with internal noise. We try to do our best to ask all guests to be considerate of others early/late hours of the day, and ensure that any cleaning does not start until 9.00am. (no maids are on duty before that time). I hope this incident has not marred your opinion of us, as I can see that you were otherwise happy with all aspects of your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Centre location but with a £12 parking charge to go. Room was very spacious and there was free wi to. Didn't eat any meals so can't comment on the food or bar area. Placed where it is perfect for the city centre.

Dear iantoes ,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am glad to hear that we were able to deliver everything you come to expect from a Holiday Inn. Regarding the car park charges; we offer a 50% discount at the nearby NCP which makes the total rate very competitive in Birmingham City Centre. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed in this establishment for the duration of the Birmingham Pride festival in a twin room. The room and en suite were brilliant, very clean and very modern.The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was filling. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely be returning in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Charlie M,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel to be offering good quality food with amenities to match and most importantly, staff to be friendly and helpful. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the staff as I believe such feedback does give that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was my first stay at Holiday Inn. Reception was very slow - about 15 minutes to check-in but the staff were friendly. My room was on the second floor at the end of a long corridor next to a fire escape - there was a rather unsavoury smell in the corridor outside my room. The room itself was clean (odorless!) and well equipped. Free WiFi gave reasonable speeds. Room service was prompt and food good quality. My real problem (as others have also stated in reviews) started at about 4am the following morning. The bin lorries, recycling lorries etc arrived in abundance. That was it - there was no chance to sleep - even with the windows closed the noise was unbearable. So I was very tired for my day at work which defeated the object of staying away really. So, my advice to anyone staying there - avoid rooms at the back of the hotel like the plague and, if you have to no choice, then make sure you get a room sufficiently far away from the road. If it weren't for that I would have rated this hotel higher.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back of the hotel like the plague and, if you have to no choice, then make sure y...
Dear Geoff A,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly. I am also sorry to hear that you were not completely happy with your stay mainly due to delivery vehicles making such a noise at early hours of the day. Please be assured that I am actually dealing with this matter personally as this is caused by a neighbouring business which require very tactical approach. I am confident that this matter will be eliminated very soon. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great Place in Central Birmingham right on door step of Birmingham New Street Station. A regular stop for me on business trips. Staff friendly and good breakfast. Dinner menu is ok but doesn't vary that much. Executive rooms very large and comfortable although room service menu cold be improved. It is basically a nice comfortable hotel

Room Tip: Try to get executive room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Miles B,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you find the executive rooms to your liking, and rate the quality of breakfast highly with friendly staff on duty. I have taken your comments regarding dinner menu selection and room service menu on board and will be discussing it with the Head Chef when planning our new menus soon. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on business during mid May. My room was on the second floor facing the back of the property, at the end of the corridor.
Problem 1- The view out of the window was directly into the NCP car park + a building work walkway straight outside the window. So basically if the curtains are open, there are multiple views into the room.
Main Problem 2- NOISE! I was woken on both evenings I stayed by early hours deliveries to the rear of the hotel (truck reversing beeps/ doors slamming) & very noisy collection of glass bottle recycling at ~3am. :-(

Good point 1- Good breakfast for £10 if you pre-book and get a voucher from reception
Good point 2- Good service from the staff.
Good point 3- NCP car park is immediately at the rear of the hotel. Rate is good if you get your card discounted. I think the hotel reception might do this. My office had a £7 per day rate.
Good point 4- powerful hot shower.

If/ when I stay again I will definitely be asking for a room at the front of the hotel, probably on a higher floor. Might go to 4 stars when I get a good nights sleep.

Dear PL123,

Thank you for your detailed review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I can see that you were happy with the quality of food served at a reasonable rate, amenities in your room and friendly staff on duty. I am sorry to hear that you also experienced some issues mainly with noise caused by early pick ups. I can assure you that I am personally dealing with this matter as it is actually caused by a neighbouring business. We are also planning a large refurbishment of the Hotel which will change the overall look of the Hotel and will add many new features. We hope to welcome you back soon.