“Usually Good This Time Rubbish”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #66 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Ive stayed at this hotel a few times and had good experiences and written good reviews, however my latest stay was the total opposite.

Every room ive been in previously has been very modern / plush and clean with great facilities unlike many other holiday inn's

However on this visit I was put on to floor "SP" which is the lowest floor with rooms on, numbers all start 10xx, and man is this the cheap seats or what, talk about very poor standard.

Firstly I couldnt even see out the window, see photo, this wasnt dirt particularly it was just very poorly maintained, the level of the window meant you had to bend down to see the actual glass

The quality of the room was awful and nothing like every other floor ive stayed on - wooden curtains etc which none of the other floors have and basically when closed it blocks out mobile coverage, lumpy bed, poor maintenance in the bathroom etc, it felt like two hotels in one - this awful floor and the rest are good, not sure if this has been missed out of an upgrade plan but the other floors were done some time ago

Im a platinum priority club member and asked for an upgrade at check in (1730) and was given a flat "no we are full" response and told "ive given you a nice room on another floor" so wondering whether this lady dumped me on the naff floor deliberetly because I asked for an upgrade - later in the bar I overheard a lady at the next table say she had just checked in (2000) and been upgraded so I was obviously told nonsense by the lady who checked me in

Seems to me the recognition of loyalty has dropped as two colleagues who are not even IHG members ended up on the much better floors and they checked in at the same time as me

I certainly wont be back at this hotel again

Room Tip: Avoid floor SP with room numbers starting 10xx unless you dont want to be able to see out of the win...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Jason M
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Jason M,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.I know that you have contacted us directly to allow us to address your concerns. We will be in further contact with you. In the mean time, please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the Hotel.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Externally the hotel is nothing to write home about. You think it's the shiny Radisson behind but it's not. However Executive room on the 7th floor was a very pleasant surprise. Very nicely decorated and well equipped. Bed was very comfortable and the only gripe was the next to useless "air con" which on a muggy Mid June night was needed. Good breakfast selection.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Joanna O, Marketing Executive at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2016

Dear NickyInWitney,

Joanna
Marketing Executive

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Excellent value for money. The room was modern, decor was fresh and inviting. Very clean and well serviced. Breakfast to a high standard. I have stayed with other chain hotels of a similar budget and quite frankly they don't touch the quality of both the traditional breakfast or continental options both fresh and tasty. Room service and the quality of food were good. I would suggest a priced drinks menu could be included in the information provided regarding the mini bar? That would have been handy. Great location and I would absolutely would stay again!

Stayed: June 2014

Dear Twisterkel,

Thank you f or your kind review regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the food served to be of good quality. Following your review, I can inform you that we are updating the mini-bar tariffs accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed for one night on a quick trip to Birmingham.

Good points:

- Short walk from the station
- Friendly staff
- Spacious, clean room.
- Nice large bath.
- Comfortable beds
- Nice balcony off the main bar

Bad points

- No plug points by the bed - little bit annoying when you want to sit on the bed with your phone/ipad while it charges.
- General decor seemed a bit tired and run down, especially outside where there were lots of construction rubbish/rusty supports for the roof etc.

I only used the hotel to sleep in. It was comfortable and clean. The room was large and was nice and bright. I would stay here again if passing through Birmingham as it was pretty central and a very short walk from the station.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Richgreenw00d,

Thank you for your kind and detailed comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. Firstly, I am delighted to hear that you found the location and facilities provided to be suitable for your needs and the staff to be friendly. It is always most encouraging to receive such feedback and gives that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. Secondly, regarding the general décor of the Hotel, I am pleased to inform you that we have an extensive refurbishment plan which should start within the next few weeks. We have mood boards at reception showing what is coming our way. Further details can also be found on our Facebook page. ( https://www.facebook.com/HolidayInnBhamCity?fref=ts). We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Writing this review whilst still at the hotel. For the money..40 quid for double room...I have been pleasantly surprised at the standard of the room. Clean with all mod cons...my room had a Smart tv in it! Only gripe would be that there is no mirror where the hairdryer is located so bring your own hairdryer with you if you want to be located next to a mirror when you style your hair! Bed nice and comfortable and pillows lovely..choice of soft or firm! Only a 5 to 10min walk from the Mailbox. Will definitely come back!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear simonandcharlotte,

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre and your constructive comments regarding the layout of the room allocated to you. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I will ensure your comments are passed on to our architects which will be very useful when planning next faze of bedroom refurbishment. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I’ve stayed here a few times now as it central and reasonably priced. I have always found the rooms, and most importantly the beds, comfortable. I’ve only ever used the restraunt for breakfast it’s the usual breakfast buffet and all fairly tasty. Aside from check-in this is the only time I get to interact with the staff and they have always been friendly and professional

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear T F,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that we have been able to deliver your expectations from a Holiday Inn and that you have found the facilities to suit your needs and the staff to be friendly and professional. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Thus hotel lacks good customer service as the staff are not the best with the welcome to the hotel however I think this does depend on the shift on duty as on occasions it has been good
The bar area is very unwelcoming and need something to make it more appealing maybe some windows to see out would help
Compared to other holiday inns it's not as good and comparing this to jury's inn both the staff and rooms are far better which is a shame being an ihg member
I think this hotel needs better management and a big push on being customer friendly

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Stevewales44
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Stevewales44,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry to hear that we failed to delight you during your stay and that you noted inconsistency in service delivery standards. It is only by receiving such feedback that we are able to monitor ourselves and make the necessary changes. Regarding the bar area; I am a little puzzled as our bar is located on Restaurant floor and we have windows throughout and a terrace balcony that many guests take advantage of. I hope this experience has not permanently marred your opinion of us and we may look forward to welcoming you back in future.