“Straightforward hotel. Nice room.”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #66 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We checked in late, around midnight I think. We were a party of 6 rooms, but even so the check-in process took quite a while - this was the only negative really.

The rooms were recently refurbished, and very good for a Holiday Inn type place. Comfy bed, great shower, decent TV, etc. Didn't get a chance to try the WiFi.

If you like a quieter nights sleep, you'd be well advised to ask for a room on the non-main road side of the building.

Check-out was straightforward. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, for the cost I'd recommend just popping to Weatherspoons round the corner.

Room Tip: If you like a quieter nights sleep, you'd be well advised to ask for a room on the non-main road...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Jon F,

Thank you for kind review regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the Hotel to be offering you would expect from a Holiday Inn. Being a City Centre property, even though we benefit fully from double glazed windows, you can expect to hear some city noise. I would also like to let you know that regularly we have promotional rates available for breakfast. Please contact the Hotel directly for further details. We hope to welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed for a couple of nights with a group of ladies on a hen weekend. We were made welcome by helpful staff. The rooms were spacious and well equipped with very comfortable beds. No complaints. Location was very good for train station, and also has a good pub nearby which does good food including breakfasts at very reasonable prices. Not too far to the local night spots.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear JayneBicester,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay thoroughly and that you found the Hotel to be offering everything you come to expect from a Holiday Inn. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I haven't stayed in a city centre Holiday Inn for a long time. The standard room has all the necessaries but space is limited and there isn't a wow factor. Everything works and the room service food was relatively good value and of a good standard. Road noise is a little above acceptable from my 5th floor room with curtains shut. Good for business use.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Joanna O, Marketing Executive at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2016

Dear MattB921,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback about your stay. I am very sorry to hear that several things throughout your stay did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your comments and will share these with our team so that we can continue to improve our services. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that we can provide a better experience.

Joanna
Marketing Executive

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my wife and to be honest average is only given following a complaint and their good reaction. Refuse a room a s level the first with rooms. They are old, windows don't close and carpets sticky in our case. We had a room change a bottle of wine brought. However as a ihg member I was not recognised, not given priority check in and felt bit upset by lack of welcome. Breakfast was good and staff generally were good in bars and restaurants. If a Above £70 quid go to the ibis!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Mark G,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some issues on arrival which was dealt to your satisfaction by the Duty Manager. I can assure you that your comments have been taken on board and fully discussed with the Hotel team. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Ive stayed at this hotel a few times and had good experiences and written good reviews, however my latest stay was the total opposite.

Every room ive been in previously has been very modern / plush and clean with great facilities unlike many other holiday inn's

However on this visit I was put on to floor "SP" which is the lowest floor with rooms on, numbers all start 10xx, and man is this the cheap seats or what, talk about very poor standard.

Firstly I couldnt even see out the window, see photo, this wasnt dirt particularly it was just very poorly maintained, the level of the window meant you had to bend down to see the actual glass

The quality of the room was awful and nothing like every other floor ive stayed on - wooden curtains etc which none of the other floors have and basically when closed it blocks out mobile coverage, lumpy bed, poor maintenance in the bathroom etc, it felt like two hotels in one - this awful floor and the rest are good, not sure if this has been missed out of an upgrade plan but the other floors were done some time ago

Im a platinum priority club member and asked for an upgrade at check in (1730) and was given a flat "no we are full" response and told "ive given you a nice room on another floor" so wondering whether this lady dumped me on the naff floor deliberetly because I asked for an upgrade - later in the bar I overheard a lady at the next table say she had just checked in (2000) and been upgraded so I was obviously told nonsense by the lady who checked me in

Seems to me the recognition of loyalty has dropped as two colleagues who are not even IHG members ended up on the much better floors and they checked in at the same time as me

I certainly wont be back at this hotel again

Room Tip: Avoid floor SP with room numbers starting 10xx unless you dont want to be able to see out of the win...
5  Thank Jason M

Dear Jason M,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.I know that you have contacted us directly to allow us to address your concerns. We will be in further contact with you. In the mean time, please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the Hotel.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Externally the hotel is nothing to write home about. You think it's the shiny Radisson behind but it's not. However Executive room on the 7th floor was a very pleasant surprise. Very nicely decorated and well equipped. Bed was very comfortable and the only gripe was the next to useless "air con" which on a muggy Mid June night was needed. Good breakfast selection.

Dear NickyInWitney,

Joanna
Marketing Executive

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Excellent value for money. The room was modern, decor was fresh and inviting. Very clean and well serviced. Breakfast to a high standard. I have stayed with other chain hotels of a similar budget and quite frankly they don't touch the quality of both the traditional breakfast or continental options both fresh and tasty. Room service and the quality of food were good. I would suggest a priced drinks menu could be included in the information provided regarding the mini bar? That would have been handy. Great location and I would absolutely would stay again!

Stayed: June 2014

Dear Twisterkel,

Thank you f or your kind review regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the food served to be of good quality. Following your review, I can inform you that we are updating the mini-bar tariffs accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.