Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
US$144
  • Pool
US$124
  • Pool
Bloc Hotel Birmingham(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$143
US$128
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
ibis Styles Birmingham Centre(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$117
Travelocity
US$180
US$164
1,702 results
All reviewsnew street stationcity centreexecutive roomncp car parkbull ringstreet noisehigh floorsaturday nighttrain stationflat screen tvquiet roomearly hoursmin walkstayed here for one nightnight's sleepcomfy bedfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2014

A cracking location just steps from New Street Station, the Bull Ring Shopping Centre and the Gay Village. Great value and clean rooms, unlike the Raddison Blu which we stayed at a few months ago during a similar weekend break.

Room Tip: You are less likely to hear the nightlife if you ask for a room on a high floor though the hotel are good enough to provide ear plugs for light sleepers. We didn't need them and were not troubled by noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tim&AlanCornwall
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Tim&AlanCornwall,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the Hotel to be offering everything you would expect from a Holiday Inn. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I booked for four nights and stayed in room 214. The staff were wonderful and helpful and the location was literally 100 metres from the Birmingham New Street station - if you come out of the hill street exit.

Check-in/out etc were good and they offered to keep my luggage if I wanted to stay in Birmingham longer on the day of departure. They also notified me of breakfast being £10.50 if I bought it in advance or £15.50 if I bought it on the day. I opted for no breakfast as I didn't want a buffet breakfast every day and thought this was quite expensive for just breakfast.

The room was spotless and the bed comfortable although on the small side for two people if two had been staying. Not much room to put clothes if they weren't to be hung up. Decent sized fridge and a safe in the room were good and there were many different lights / lamps so the room was well lit. The windows had blackout curtains which felt a bit 'plastic/waxy' but did the job and meant you could have a darkened room even if it was still light (which would be good if you had young children who don't sleep well when it's still light).

Negatives - there was no socket to plug your phone in next to your bed. This was annoying if you used it as an alarm as then you had to jump out of bed to turn it off as there is no way the standard charging cable would stretch near your bed to keep it there.

The room service menu - no phone number to ring up. All numbers were in a separate leaflet which was behind five other leaflets. An indexed file would be so much neater and easier to find things in. Prices I felt were steep, particularly when you did the 'add ons'. E.g. a burger was around £9.50 but then you added on your topping (another £1) and then added on your side (another £1.50). All in all some fairly standard meals were going to be around £12 - £14. I am not sure if they were cheaper in the restaurant but looking at the online menu which they have as a pdf I don't think so. Also the 24 hrs room service option actually didn't have much on it - a tuna sandwich or nachos were two of the four options and there was nothing that was anything like a main meal. Some kind of pasta option would be good for those that get in on the very late trains.

Noisy guests - again the hotel can't really do much about the noise of guests who are going for a night out / coming back from a night out, and yes there are signs. Perhaps it would be better to put all young groups on the same floor to avoid the noise in the corridor issue? Also with other guests on the same floor who hadn't been going on a night out they were then up early, so all in all I was woken up at around 11pm, 3am and then from 7am onwards with people going to and fro to breakfast which wasn't very restful.

Bathroom - good shower etc, let down by some small amounts of black mildew/discoloured silicon in places so this needs updating as it did look a little bit grotty. The bathroom was obviously well cleaned so it was simply wear and tear.

Windows - there were notices saying that they opened to full. One was totally locked, one opened to full if you could flick the catch off (quite tricky). Two only did either the tilted opening or the square opening but with the catch on (which wouldn't stay open). I did wonder if this was supposed to be the fire exit if there was a fire in the corridor in which case this could do with looking at as you could have used this as a way out if they opened fully.

Overall I would stay again because of the location, I felt the price was dear as some newer hotels have the same price and this was a little dated. I wouldn't choose to eat there as even the sandwiches cost £6.50 for the cheapest and £8.50 for the most expensive so all in all I'd nip to the M & S that's in Birmingham new street station and get a pasta salad for half the price!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the main road.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Ruth B,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and would return back to the Hotel in future. I can assure you that our pricing is well within the area average and also reflects the quality of food offered. We are always most grateful to receive such detailed feedback as it does give us the chance to monitor ourselves better. With the forth-coming refurbishment works to improve the façade and lobby areas, I am certain you will enjoy your time at the Hotel even more in future. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I booked a one night's stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham New Street as I was going to see Pearl Jam in Milton Keynes on the Friday and heading over to the cricket test in Nottingham on the Saturday.Birmingham was central for both of those events and the hotel less than 5 minutes walk from the train station.
I arrived at the hotel at 9 am just to drop off my bag and the very friendly lady at reception told me that my room was ready.That was an added bonus as I was able to freshen up for the long day and night ahead! The hotel room was a good size and more than adequate for me and included tea and coffee making facilities.
All in all very happy with my short stay and will definitely return the next time I'm over that neck of the woods.
Would like to give a special thank you to the ladies at reception.They were both really helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Colm007,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that we were able to impress you with the service delivered by a friendly receptionist. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the Hotel team, as I believe such good feedback always gives that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. We hope to welcome you back in future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed for 1 night only choosing the hotel for its location close to the Birmingham Hippodrome. The directions led us to a fairly grotty back street and an NCP car park. But the hotel were helpful in letting us have the available blue badge parking space at the front. Reception staff were helpful in moving us to a twin room having found the double bed a bit too cramped for our liking. Everything else in this room was well appointed although the roof top view wasn't great - you have to accept this is a city centre hotel. Our twin room (zip-linked beds) was comfy and provided a good nights sleep even through the thunderstorm. The ear plugs are a nice touch for those who want peace and quiet. Breakfast was the standard hotel buffet and they had gluten-free bread - good job really as my husband forgot to mention it on the booking form. Would stay here again for value for money nothing else in a full- service hotel could touch it. Good location for the Bull Ring Shopping Centre a short stroll away.

Room Tip: If you prefer larger bed request a twin zip-linked. Disabled travellers need to book a blue badge space on the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear fossieWolverhampton,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am glad to hear that you found the Hotel to be offering everything you would expect from a Holiday Inn and the staff were friendly and helpful when dealing with your requests. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here at the weekend whilst visiting friends. The staff at check in were very friendly, and as our room wasn't quite ready we were able to leave our bags and go exploring. When we returned, check in was fast and efficient, and we were given a room on the 8th floor.

Despite the room only being a standard double, we were very impressed with the quality of the room. It was nicely decorated, had a massive telly, two lovely solid granite tables, a nice big window, good air con and a lovely clean bathroom. The bed was comfy and we both slept very well.

We had breakfast to our room and we only ordered one, however when we checked out we had been charged double! This took about 20 minutes to sort out, but the lady at reception did seem reluctant to cancel the extra charge which I wasn't impressed by.

Apart from this minor glitch, the hotel was amazing and we will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear kevbev321,

Thank you for reviewing your latest stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you found the Hotel to be offering you would expect from a Holiday Inn. I am sorry to hear you experienced a glitch when checking out with the breakfast charges but was resolved to your satisfaction. We hope to welcome you back soon.