Plough and Harrow Hotel
US$62
US$51
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Bloc Hotel Birmingham(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$52
Priceline
US$70
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmurder mysterycadbury worldwedding venuehagley roadcity centrelounge areapublic areasstayed for one nighttolkienedgbaston
Reviewed 24 June 2011

the refurb at the hotel did not extend to the far reaches of the hotel ,the room i stayed in was shabby , dirty ,noisy and uncomfortably hot.on entering the room i was greeted by a bathroom that had suspect hairs on the floor,encrusted grouting a bath that was scratched and dirty and the icing onthe cake a dirty damp pillowcase on the sink.moving into the bed room the furniture was chipped the surfaces covered in marks,the mirror covered in suspect smears.the bed was headed by a velour headboard that had seen better days the bedroom carpet had had its day being shabby and covered in cigarette burns.
having managed to get to sleep inspite of the heat of the room i was woken at 7.ooam by doors continually banging to and fro on investigation it seems i was unfortunate enough to be placed above a conference room!thekey cards that myself and my colleagues had repeatedly failed to work meaning we had to traverse the considerable distance to the reception where a distinctly unfriendly member of staff "assisted"the bar is closed at night and each time you want a drink you have to traipse to reception to get the porter to grudgingly unlock the shutters pay by cash to avoid being charged for drinks we did not have!the receptionist on checking out failed to apologise for the error.as for the refurb it looks like a B+Q has exploded inthe foyer which is resplendent with plastic lighting/mirrors and ornaments

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank manager66_11
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2011

Dear Guest
I'm sorry that you did not find the hotel to your liking during your recent stay. There is no excuse for the poor standard of housekeeping you experienced in your bedroom and remedial training with the housekeeping member of staff has already commenced. The "mess" on the mirror was in fact some glue which had rubbed onto the mirror from a guard rail at the top of the mirror becoming loose. This has been rectified. The carpet and furniture in the room you occupied has not been upgraded and this room is likley to be done later this year.
The maintenance team will be adjusting all bedroom door self closures to eradicate the banging door issues.
I am surprised by your comment regarding the bar as it stays open all day and every night until at least 11pm after which time it is serviced by the night porter and has to be kept secure. Perhaps you used the bar late at night?
The receptionist on duty recalls amending the drinks inadvertently charged to your bill and assures me she did apologise for the error. Unfortunately errors, usually honest, are made but I am pleased that we were able to rectify it at the desk before you left.
Lastly, we have no record of any guest asking to see the duty manager to complain about the issues you raised but if you did then please do let me know as there is always a manager on duty who will do their utmost to rectify any deficiences in service brought to their attention.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 June 2011

Stayed there for a murder mystery weekend (contact me directly if you want feedback on that) and enjoyed our stay.
The staff are very courteous and efficient although it would be better if I didn't have to ring down for a second hand towel and a replacement bath towel, for one that really needs throwing away.
Our room didn't have wifi and we weren't offered the device to enable it which would've been good.
The food is good quality and well presented,pricey drinks tho.
Room 104 needs modernising but is big enough and our bathroom had no troubles. The iron is located on the top shelf on the wardrobe by the way the room had plenty of storage space. Very comfy big bed
The room was a long walk and up a lot of stairs.
The lawn was wasted as there was no outdoor seating on it so we were all on the dining room patio enjoying the sun and inhaling cigarette smoke or you can sit out the front of the pub and inhale carbon monoxide instead. Shame.
All in all a pleasant experience and recommendable.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I stayed here at the beginning of the year & they were obviously refurbing. Piles of furniture & mirrors stacked in dusty corners & the restaurant wasn't ready so we breakfast was in the bar.

A few months later & they are finished with the modifications.

On arriving for the second time, we were greeted by the same receptionist. Dont know her name but she's eastern european with dubious taste in nail art. She was polite but very solemn.

She told me my room was on the ground floor. I replied that was brilliant as last time I had been miles away. She said my room was up the flight of stairs passed the bar. I was confused (seeing as I was meant to be on the ground floor) and asked

'Exactly how many stairs is it?"

She said

'Only a couple, why, will you need assistance?'

i told her that if it was only a couple i wouldnt need help, as long as it wasn't like last time where it was losts of steps. She said 'No not this time'.

WELL IT WAS 42 BLOODY STEPS. 42!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so annoyed when I realised where my room was. I was clearly annoyed & bout to go back to reception to complain when another guest saw how i was struggling & offered to carry my cases for me. I'm very angry she told me when I clearly had asked SPECIFICALLY HOW MANY STEPS. Maybe she played it down as she would have had to of helped me?

This was on top of THE WORLDS LONGEST CORRIDORS. Think i got my 12,000 steps a day in just by walking to my room.

My room was only 4 rooms away from the previous one! As i was getting my key out to open my door, the woman in the room next door came out to ask if their was a lift nearby & if id used it. I told her no. She said it was ridiculous to be miles away from everything & i have to agree.

Rooms are nice & spacious. Good bed.

There were 4 pubic hairs in the bath & by sink which makes my skin crawl. Had to wipe them away before I could consider using the shower. Also, there were 2 very very long black curly head hair which looked like they were acrylic. They were so black & long in the bath, the only way the cleaner could have missed them is if it was her hair maybe? So 6 hairs all in all, bit gross.

Free internet but only with a wire that you need to get from reception. Think they need to upgrade to wifi.

Hair dryer in room only blew cold air which makes drying hair take bloody ages.

Shower head was amazingly weak so have a bath instead.

Ironing board but no iron in wardrobe.

Vents in the bathroom had the same problem as last time; i could hear everything my neighbour was doing as though he was in the room with me. Talking, running water, brushing teeth, passing wind, urinating, i heard it all...

Very bright lights in the garden so make sure you fully shut curtains.

No do not disturb sign for door. I was planning on leaving room right at the last minute so was on edge that the cleaner was going to burst in (maybe to demand she leave some more of her hair in the sink)

Dont know what the 2 in 1 Shampoo Conditioner was but it was brilliant, id buy it if i could, left my hair looking amazing.

Breakfast staff are lovely.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for the review of your recent stay.
I am sorry that the location of your bedroom was a cause of annoyance to you. We realise that the length of the walk and stairs is a cause of concern to guests and we are investigating the possibility of having an access to the ground floor of the bedroom block directly from the car park in the future we may improve the situation.
There are 8 older bedrooms in the main building above reception and if you do stay again then perhaps you could mention when making your reservation that you would prefer to stay in one of those and the staff will do their best to accommodate the request.
In respect of the other points you mention regarding the hairs in the bathroom, iron and hairdyer, and do not disturb sign please accept my aplogies and the manager will be addressing these immediately.
The internet access in the bedrooms in that bloack are hardwired but we have recently introduced a wifi access point which can be obtained from reception ( a deposit will be required) and plugged into the wall socket which will then enable wifi in the bedroom. The in room information will be updated to reflect this.
Finally, I do hope you will stay with us again and if you do experience any other shortcomings please do bring them to the attention of the duty manager who will do their best to rectify the situation to your satisfaction.
Kind regards

Reviewed 23 May 2011

I have been staying very regularly at this hotel since october 2010 and have never been dissapointed.
The rooms are well appointed and kept very clean by the housekeeping team. The bar has Sky Sports and the lounge area very comfortable - very good value for money.
The main thing though is the staff - they really are a good team, all very welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. A couple of special mentions would be:
Reception: Emma is fantastic with a ready smile and attention to detail to make sure everything is exactly how you want it. Isobella and Paula are very friendly and like everybody else just want to make sure you are comfortable.
Bar: Sarah, Victoria and Derek (sometimes doubles as night porter) are brilliant - fun, smiling and hospitable
Restaurant: Megan is great - lovely smile, attentive and fun
Management - Paul and Sandeep just make sure everything is running smoothly - Sandeep never stops and goes out of his way to ensure you get whatever you want or need
Housekeeping - the unsung heroes without whom no hotel would survive!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2011

First of all I would like to say The Plough & Harrow has made some changes, All for the better I must say. Me and my partner had stayed last year it was rather dated. Improved the staff massively. We stayed for 3 days no a outing at botanical gardens.

Reception staff Helpful but not very cheerful. Had our bags taken to our rooms as it was a distance away. We had fantastic service from a young lady in the lounge who we feel needs a mention she made us more then welcome. Although handling the main bar single handed and taking food orders she gave us fantastic service. Not to sure of the name but she has beautiful red hair.

Rooms are comfortable and has everything you need. Not for everybody but it is exactly what we like to see. The building itself has so much character and The owners have done a great job in keeping that inside the building. Great location really could not ask for anymore. Value for money. Hope to stay again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay and for mentioning a particular member of staff to whom I will pass on your kind comments. We hope that you will viist us again on another trip to the Botanical Gardens.
Kind regards