“Very noisy room and wifi problems”

Plough and Harrow Hotel
Ranked #81 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottingham, UK
“Very noisy room and wifi problems”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed at the Plough and Harrow on business on the 19th March 2012. When I checked in I specifically asked at reception if there was a wifi connection in my room. I was told there was, and that I didn’t need any passwords or additional equipment to access the internet in my room.

Once I got to my room, there was a laminated card on the desk stating that my room in fact DID NOT have wifi, and that if I wanted it, I would have to go back down to reception and get a router (£5 deposit) to connect.

I thought this was extremely bad customer service, I asked at reception when I checked in and the lady assured me I would be able to get straight online in my room. I phoned down to reception and was told I would have to go and get it myself.

The room itself was nice, if a little dated. Bed was comfortable and shower was hot and powerful.

I ate in the lounge bar and the food was lovely, as was the breakfast in the morning.

At around 11.30pm, a person in a nearby room decided to have a shower, it was very noisy and kept me awake.

Overall, I would not return to the Plough and Harrow due to the poor customer service, I think the least the receptionist could have done was bring the router to my room, considering they made the error in the first place.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 101
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and please accept my apologies for any confusion caused. I will speak to the reception team to avoid any mishaps in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

The food is first class, staff very helpful indeed, Bedrooms in need of a tidy up.

I would recommend they hotel for weddings and meetings.

When booking a room don't expect it ready at the checkin time, we arrived friday at 2.30 did not get the room till 4.20.

Our wedding guests arrived 12, o clock saturday could not get the room till 2.40, the Bride's room was later than that, but after the panic all went very well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank John R
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write and I am very pleased the wedding went well and everyone enjoyed themselves. I am sorry however with the confusion with the check in. All the rooms should be ready by 2pm and I will speak to the Housekeeper to find out what went wrong.
Thank you again for taking the time to write and once again please accapt my apologies for any upset caused
Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed last week at the Plough & Harrow, and found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I am pregnant and our original room was quite a long way away from the reception. They immediately swopped our room for one that was closer (and better!). We had a meal there on the night too, and was completely faultless. Very impressed with the service throughout. Handy to have the free parking too.

Room Tip: Ask for one near the reception, otherwise its a bit of a walk!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrightonRockChick
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your kind comments to the team. Take care and hope to see you again soon
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

My family and I use hotels frequently, normally staying in everything from De Vere to Holiday or Premier Inns. This place compares very favourably to the large chains - the room was large, quiet, clean and comfortable, as were the beds, the cooked breakfast was excellent and included in the price, and the staff were brilliant without exception. The parking was plentiful and free for guests. Some areas are looking a little dated, but everywhere was clean, and the public rooms were lovely, very elegant and stylish. The building is listed and full of character - apparently Tolkien stayed there in 1906!
It is about a 15 min walk into the Broad St/Symphony Hall area of the city, but buses pass the hotel every few mins if you don't fancy using shank's pony.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and we will definitely stay here again when we visit Brum (which was also fab and a wonderful place for a long weekend - we are looking for an excuse to come again!).

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as the hotel does host functions such as weddings.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank nonimomma
Sounds like you had a great time all round and your right Birmingham is a great city. Thanks for the great comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future
Bramley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We arrived on Saturday 18th February, my daughter myself and two excited grand daughters in a hail shower to start a weekend away to include Cadbury's World. The rooom was of a good standard, both bed and bedsettee were comfortabl, the staff very helpful and went out of their way to be of assistance. The food was good in the Beaufort bar and the service very good. The tickets for Cadbury's World were arranged by the hotel and included in the overall price. Thank you all very much for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennie_Wales_12
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you for writing and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay. Look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have stayed at the Plough & Harrow several times previously, so knew what to expect.

Stayed in Room 11 (a bit of a hike, but no real issue). Upon arrival, the room was particularly cold, and even after having wound the radiator up to maximum, it was not really improving quickly enough. Following a call to reception, an additional heater was provided which quickly did the trick.

Ordered room service sandwiches at about 23:00hrs (24hr service); was told no chips as kitchen was now closed? The sandwiches turned up promptly, and were obviously freshly made, but were very basic.

Breakfast is worth taking, good service and a reasonable choice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Thanks very much for taking the time to write and I am pleased you are continually enjoying your stay. Will have a look to see if we can improve our 24 hr room service menu further
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

Stayed for one night as we were attending a wedding at the Botanical gardens only a short walk away. The rooms were slightly dated but large and spotlessly clean. Reception were polite and helpful. We had a problem with the lights in our sons room but it was dealt with promptly, with no fuss, and resolved before we returned to our rooms later that evening. Breakfast was simple but done well (certainly good enough for the price paid) and the waiter was very friendly with a " nothing's too much bother" approach creating a relaxed atmosphere. Overall, excellent value and a positive experience. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend for a comfortable and friendly stop over.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit the area